Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chris, I was just wondering (Read 6826 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Chris, I was just wondering
Jan 11th, 2007 at 11:25am

Was just wondering whether the wiki is going to be the end project - or whether the book is still on ?

I'd personally really like a proper harddcopy or at worst a sensible electronic version I can carry around on my organiser.
Suppose I could always capture the wiki, but that kind of doesn't feel right somehow :-)

So is the original project still on - and if so what sort of timeline we looking at ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re:  Chris, I was just wondering
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 6:07pm

I'd still like to produce a hard copy.  The wiki is just the staging ground.  We've got a long way to go though...

Chris

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 11:22am

cheers - was wondering if you were still around :-) Or gone walkabout again :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 2:47pm

Well, over a year later, I'm asking: Is it still on?  Smiley

If so, who's writing right now? How much is finished? What specifically needs to be done? How can I help?

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 6:40am

well it needs the wiki being transcribed into book format and a lot of the chaff winnowed from the wheat. Wiki's tend to bloat up a bit I reckon a book needs to be a lot more succinct.

No I'm not volunteering - needs someone with a lot more actual historical knowlege than me :-)

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 1:41pm

Well, isn't it supposed to be a bunch of individually authored sections?

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 1:13pm

I don't mind volunteering to do editing - hell I doubt I could annoy people more than I do already ;-)

But first things first. Before you can turn the wiki into a book you need a plan.
ie: how long is the book going to be, what's in, what's out.

So that's where to start. Shortlist the essentials and work out how long the book would be.
I figure for a decent reference work 2-300 pages, though you don't want too much repetition so maybe less.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 3:45pm

Ethan, sorry for the long delay in my reply to your post.

Yes, it is still on. Progress is made in short bursts.  It really needs someone to "take it on", and be the project master -  coordinate and encourage people, as well as organize and write.

Perhaps you would be interested in that role?  Let me know, info@slinging.org.

Chris

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 12:19pm

Any progress?

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #9 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 10:21am

for the book i think it would be good to start out with what and how the sling works, the parts, and so on, then move on to history and all that "historically accurate" stuff  finally we could end it with some how to's and such

but this is just coming out of a twelve year old boy who has barely even read the wiki

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 12:28pm

well if we're talking basic outlines:

Introduction:  what is a sling, parts, basic types of sling, short potted history, basic use of.
Then chapters on:
Throwing styles and practices
slings in different cultures,
historical accounts of slinging
Sling making/ braiding
missile types and manufacturer
some of the scientific stuff on speeds, impact, power, tables etc
finish off with slings in modern culture.

The hard part is actually picking what goes in and what gets left out.
I figure as it stands we've got enough material to produce a 200(ish) page book that would be the definitive work on slings - anywhere, with zero padding.
I'd like it to be in hardback by an actual publisher - so, anyone work in the publishing business or know someone who does ?

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #11 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 1:07pm

i dunno about a publisher, bnut i remeber someone who was wanting to write a book, with the main character using a sling. from wht i see he could be good for sending it, as to the fact that poeple who are new are put to be read after the ones who have published books before

also, "TRADITIONAL SLINGER'S BIBLE"

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #12 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 1:22pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jul 30th, 2009 at 12:28pm:
well if we're talking basic outlines:

Introduction:  what is a sling, parts, basic types of sling, short potted history, basic use of.
Then chapters on:
Throwing styles and practices
slings in different cultures,
historical accounts of slinging
Sling making/ braiding
missile types and manufacturer
some of the scientific stuff on speeds, impact, power, tables etc
finish off with slings in modern culture.

The hard part is actually picking what goes in and what gets left out.
I figure as it stands we've got enough material to produce a 200(ish) page book that would be the definitive work on slings - anywhere, with zero padding.
I'd like it to be in hardback by an actual publisher - so, anyone work in the publishing business or know someone who does ?

My dad is the editor for a newspaper, I will see if he knows anyone that could help. If that does not work I did some work for an archeologist who has published a few books, I'll see if he can get someones foot it the door.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 7:10am

krystal wrote the book - it was bloody good too.
Think her agent wanted her to tone it down for a younge reader group, seemed a shame but if it gets her published - you got to do it.
Fiction publishers aren't oftent big non-fiction publishers as well.

bear in mind any book on slinging is going to be very limited distribution, hell self publish might be the sensible way to go and then flog it on ebay, amazon market etc.

I'll look into it.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #14 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 12:17am

I would love to see the finished book as well!  Smiley

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man)