Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hi from another newbie (Read 7563 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Hi from another newbie
Reply #15 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 11:17am

to put things into perspective - as I know willeke tends to get over protective - information on all of us is so easy to get that it's extremely unlikely anyone is ever going to scour this forum for the crumbs they might get.

So don't worry about posting locales, though phone numbers is not a good idea - 'cos there's so much other stuff to be paranoid about that you'd be better worrying about the thousand other things you can't control lol

The easiest way to get just about any info you might want on a person is to run a credit check on them.
Everything from where they live to what they spent on holiday - cost's couple of quid.
And that's just the easiest Legal method :-)

So don't worry about this board - worry about the rest of your life lmao
(don't think that helped much lol)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #16 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 6:44pm

Guess I'll just have to live in fear for the rest of my life! And I thought we slingers were an innocuos bunch of eccentrics.  Just remember Selin I have your mobile number now too.

More to the point tell us how did the slings go?

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Selin

Sydney, Australia
Reply #17 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 7:35am

Meh, I suppose a bit of paranoia is healthy - and its not paranoia if people really are out to stalk you.  Wink Hey, why fight fate?

Aussie, the slings are fantastic! I've been using the one with the brown and yellow cord, and its soooooo amazing just to realize that I'm actually getting the feel for this... From about 15 paces away I'm averaging 5-10 deg. off target.

The only real problem I've got are friends and family who either think accuracy or any control whatsoever is impossible, or think strength and range are minimal i.e., the early sling hunters possessed super-modern-human abilities or something.

No worries though, I'll just have to get really, really, really good.  Wink

WWW Selin  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #18 - Jan 16th, 2007 at 2:52am

Excellent! You obviously have a natural talent.

You won't impress people with power using a tennis ball. Wait till you build up a bit of speed then show them what an egg sized stone out of the smaller sling will do. (Be extremely careful with golf balls. Those little mongrels will bounce back at you with almost the same force as they left the sling if they hit anything hard.) I think they'll be impressed then. Remember that as you increase power your shots will tend to go low and to the left. (Assume you are right handed)

Good slinging stones are surprisingly hard to find though. They must be smooth, even and, as much as possible, all the same size. Crushed rock like railway ballast is hopeless for accuracy, especially when thrown hard. The angular stones wind plane all over the place. Bear in mind that when you change to stones or any other projectile, your accuracy will go out the window till you readjust. The release will be quite different from the feel of a tennis ball. Even though I recommended you use them, tennis balls are really quite poor sling ammunition. They are too light and have enormous drag so they lose speed extremely rapidly. Their main assets are that they are safe, consistent and easy to obtain.

This bring me to my next point. CONSISTENCY. The key to any shooting sport is consistency. Once you have found what works for you, stick with it! Do the same thing every time till it's reflex action.

Lots of luck and keep in touch,

Aussieslinger

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #19 - Jan 16th, 2007 at 11:56am

Is the group you belong to the SCA? We have a few Scadians here that sling. We have to form our own elite corp. Anyone know the Latin translation for "Death from Above"??

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #20 - Jan 16th, 2007 at 3:48pm

Slingbadger,
This is machine translation, checked against two online Latin dictionaries.  I typed in "death from above" and "nex superne" came out.  I translated "nex superne" back to English, and it came out "violent death from above."  One dictionary asserted that "nex" has the meaning of "violent death or murder", but had no entry for "superne"; a different dictionary asserted that "superne" has the meaning of "above" or "from above" but had no entry for "nex."

Warning: this translation was free and may be worth every penny.

Commenting on Aussieslinger's remark on golf balls: indeed, be careful with them.  I use golf balls frequently, slinging them at the end of a log, about 20 meters away from me.  Several times I have managed to hit the log, and then had to duck the ball as it returned to me.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #21 - Jan 22nd, 2007 at 5:26am

Hi Dale,

I actually do use golf balls myself, but not when shooting at a target; only when shooting for distance in the wide open spaces of a park where I am sure the area is clear. Killing innocent passers-by woud bring the sport into disrepute. I have also made projectiles from practise golf balls by filling them with concrete. These are somewhat heavier than real golf balls. They fly better and do not bounce back dangerously. BUT when they hit something very firm the concrete pulverizes.

(There are a lot of golf courses near where I live and it constantly amazes me that they aren't strewn with bodies.I guess golfers are more careful than I give them credit.))

Regards,     Aussieslinger

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)