Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hi from another newbie (Read 7574 times)
Selin

Sydney, Australia
Hi from another newbie
Jan 8th, 2007 at 1:56am

Hi everybody, I'm typing from Sydney in Australia. I came across the site after an interesting chat with some folks from my medieval reenactment group - seems I wasn't the only one interested in learning how to sling. I'm so thrilled at the idea of getting decent with this, so a huge thanks for all those wonderful pictures and tutorials!

WWW Selin  
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Re: Hi from another newbie
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 3:13am

Selin!                                                                  
         Oy! We got ourselves another OZZIE!! Welcome to the forum!   Smiley  Well, I am in   
Massachusetts about 50 miles west northwest of Boston, and I think you will find, as I did, that it is FUN
talking about slinging ( and other stuff ) with guys and gals from around the globe. If you haven't already,
be sure to check out the how-to articles and the member's gallery and historical gallery, as well as, of course,
all the fun pics that people post here on the forum.                                                   
         Are you on the outskirts of Sydney or in the city? Do you have a good spot to go slinging? I stumbled onto Slinging.org a little over a year ago and it is oddly addicting. I work second shift ( 3PM - 11PM ) and I have gotten in the habit of driving to work a bit early and stopping on the way at a forest to do some slinging.
Very relaxing before work!   Smiley                                                   
         Selin, welcome aboard, and I look forward to reading your posts!   Smiley         
                                                                                                                                         .......Dan

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 6:26am

hey selin. do you perhaps remember who gave you directions to this site?
well, have fun, but don't disregard saftey measures first.

yeah, slinging is addictive. i haven't been able to properly sling for allmost 6 moths, but i still check the boards daily (and braid slings when i feel like it).

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Selin

Sydney, Australia
Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 8:28am

Hi, thanks for the enthusiastic welcome! Cheesy Any other Sydneysiders poking around?

I'm living about half an hour from the Sydney city, on the busyish outskirts where there's lots of bush and enough parks to keep me in the slinging addiction, which I'm practically certain is going to hit me when I finish making my first. I can't wait!

I found this website pretty blindly, since no-one else in my group has started yet or knew enough to point me towards anywhere with info. It seems pretty awesome though, really informative and quite funky, so I'll tell everyone to check it out.

So people here are mainly in the US? Do alot of you live close to eachother? Do you get to meet up in person? That'd be great...

WWW Selin  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 12:04pm

Welcome Selin,
The people in the Netherlands/ Belgium area have met, we were with 4 plus the family of one.
But that was after I met a fellow slinger in Adelaide, Australia.

There are a few more people who live relatively close together, like some people in Finland.

We have a few Ausies, but I do not think any is near Sydney, so you will have to start a group yourself, if you can.
And maybe when one of the other members here is going your way you can get a slingmeet running.

Have a look at this thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1154560451/6#6

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 4:02am

Hi Selin,

I'm from Melbourne. Not from Sydney, but still in Australia.

Give me your postal address and I'll send you one of my slings. I love making them but there are only so many that I can use. The pouch is designed so that round ammunition will not fall out ie. cupped. I generally make them in two sizes; for golf ball size, and tennis ball size. I recommend you start with tennis balls for safety's sake; yours as much as any one elses. Golf balls fly much further and faster but are as dangerous as stones, especially as at the beginning you are bound to send one or two straight up into the air. A golf ball landing on your head is no joke.

If you don't already have your own technique I recommend you watch Dave Taylor's video on Greek style. I've seen it dozens of times and he always hits that bucket he's aiming at.  (haha)

Regards,

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 4:13am

Welcome Selin.

I hope you'll enjoy chating on this forum as much as the rest of us!

IP Logged

Selin

Sydney, Australia
Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 7:49am

Aussieslinger, thank you so much! The leather I have spare at home is completely stiff at about .7cm, so the only materials I've been able to find for my first sling is a cloth bag I took apart at the seems (which is fraying quite badly already), some old acrilic velcro from an old rollerblading wristguard and some annoying elastane-jean material. Your offer is very much appreciated, believe me!  Wink

And I probably should swap to tennis balls - I've managed to hit myself almost as much as the houses behind me... Cheesy

WWW Selin  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 5:47pm

He Selin and Ludwik,
did you notice the tiny icons at the bottom of your messages?
Those help to get in contact, click on one of them and see what happens.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 7:48pm

don't be like that wileke  Smiley

this way we have a truthfull presentation on how nice and cozy this little board of ours is, and i don't think it bothers any of us  Cool

there may be a thing if they wanted to keep the adress or the phone number private, but since this is not the case (you guys knew that we have PM's, right?), i don't see why not  Smiley

p.s. it'd be great if we could get some more smileies  Tongue

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 11:51am

Mordechaj,
it is not because of us, slingers, but because this board is open to everyone that I thought it better to advice not to post personal info.

Willeke

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 4:46pm

i know, ID theft and such. it was a (non succesfull) joke 70% of it any way.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #12 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 4:07am

I've removed the posting just in case. If I get any crank calls I guess there's a 70% chance it's from you Mordechaj Grin

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
100% joke
Reply #13 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 6:34am

damn it. now i have to give your nuber to all of my friends, because i'd be too suspicious.
wait. we don't have much slingers in croatia, it means you'll still know i'm responsible. hmmm.

that leaves me only one option - to make a banner with your number, and state that you give free psihological help, and put it on as many sites on the web as i can. i bet that would make for some really interesting callers Cheesy

IP Logged

Selin

Sydney, Australia
Reply #14 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 7:11am

And we could team up so that you could have skywriters writing that number over every continent! Great, eh?!  Grin

WWW Selin  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)