Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
550 Cord - core in or out? (Read 893 times)
GunnySkox
Novicius

Hokie Hokie Hokie, Hi!
550 Cord - core in or out?
Jan 4th, 2007 at 12:00am

Hey, everybody,

I'm getting ready to take a whack at my second braiding sling, and I'm going to draw on my ample supply of 550 cord to do so, and so I present this question:

When using parachute cord for braiding, should I take the internal nylon strings out and just use the "jacket", or leave the internal strings alone and use the 550 cord as is? I ask because I found my first whole-550 sling to be a bit stiff (though I admit to not using it all _that_ much) and since I plan to make this next one shorter than my first, I'm concerned that making it the same way might be too stiff.

Thanks,
~GnSx
"But I warn you, my friend: a burning school?

PRETTY WACKY." ~T-Rex, [i]Dinosaur Comics[/i]

This post(er) certified GNDN: Goes Nowhere, Does Nothing.
SPARE+GunnySkox  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: 550 Cord - core in or out?
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 12:49am

Core out might have a nice feel to it if you find the previous sling stiff or bulky. How many strands are you using? How tight you work the braid can have a pretty big impact on the flexibility of the finished product, and another thing to check on is that you aren't building in extra twist. When I braid with three strands, I find that I often "wrap" the outer cords over the edge with a bit of inward twist, something that adds internal tension.

Matthias

IP Logged

GunnySkox
Novicius

Hokie Hokie Hokie, Hi!
Re: 550 Cord - core in or out?
Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 12:19pm

I used three strands, following this tutorial as closely as I could. I'm not sure I did the best job on it (the braiding is sort of wonky and inconsistent, and the pouch is definitely lopsided..) so it may have just been my amateur's construction that made my first sling a little weak. I think that I'll try this next sling core-in and try to improve my technique before I start fuddling around with the variables.

Thanks for the advice, Matthias
~GnSx

This post(er) certified GNDN: Goes Nowhere, Does Nothing.
SPARE+GunnySkox  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark)