Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
setting deadfall is not easy (Read 1420 times)
buger

I love Slinging.org!

setting deadfall is not easy
Jan 3rd, 2007 at 10:37pm

sure on all the websotes it says use a heavy rock for deadfall weights,well i went out investigate the woods,turns out heavy rocks in the woods are as common as triple barreld shotguns.soooo i tried using logs to practise with,and man it is tough with a old half rotton log,it wont stay still and rolls from side to side, any suggestions on make a round log stable, oh and by the way fig fours stink with logs,the only way i got it to work was a bait stick trigger,i dont feel like going into details so go to www.wildwoodsurvival.com and look up traps,itll say bait stick,so i guess people should youse this trigger if no rock is found,oh and please answer my first question

IP Logged

Amras
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Re: setting deadfall is not easy
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 4:46pm

What you need are sticks stuck in the ground to keep the log from falling over, like this. http://www.mydirttime.com/050717/050717-14.html
There are plenty of good sized rocks in the woods aroung here but logs work good too. I have not had trouble with deadfalls but I have practices alot, so dont get fusterated and keep at it.

Here is a tip for all of you who set deadfalls. I found this trick out a wile back. When setting a deadfall sit down and hold the rock or log or what ever up with your foot and slowly releas presure onto the trigger. This is much more safe and plus you can use both hands to set the deadfall which helps alot.
I only use one foot but for a very heavy rock maybe it would be best to use two.
Good luck

IP Logged

buger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 9:55pm

would it stedy if ted 2 or 3 logs together

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 6:20am

Translation?

Would it steady if I tied 2 or 3 logs together?

If this is the right translation of your question the answer is:
Yes, likely.
If you tie your logs so that you have a flat surface for them to lay on while working.

The string or rope you tie with should be string enough, and the knots should be such that the logs do not have any space to move apart from each other after you tied them. That is, if you lift any of the logs the other should move as if they are one. Not easy to do unless you have straight logs.

If you really want to do this I will help you to find the knots needed.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)