Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
interesting war weapons (Read 2849 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
interesting war weapons
Jan 3rd, 2007 at 2:20pm

Just got done reading an account of a war between King ChristianII of Denmark and the Finnish natives. This was written in 1555, by Bishop Olaus Magnus

In it he describes the Finns having tied to their belts, fist sized rocks with a thong at the end. They would throw these at the enemy. Also, they tied larger rocks to a pole and used these to de horse people, either by braining them, or wrappin it around their arms and dragging them off.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

ADAXL

Greetings to Slinging.org!

Vienna, Austria (Europe)
Re: interesting war weapons
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 5:19am

slingbadger wrote on Jan 3rd, 2007 at 2:20pm:
Just got done reading an account of a war between King ChristianII of Denmark and the Finnish natives. This was written in 1555, by Bishop Olaus Magnus

In it he describes the Finns having tied to their belts, fist sized rocks with a thong at the end. They would throw these at the enemy. Also, they tied larger rocks to a pole and used these to de horse people, either by braining them, or wrappin it around their arms and dragging them off.

The fist-sized rock with a thong at the end sounds very much like the Bola Perdida (read http://www.slinging.org/wiki/index.php?title=Bolas). I did not know that this kind of weapon was used in Europe. Can you get us an exact quote and source?

The rock on the pole sounds like a flail variant, a common enough weapon.
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2007 at 11:19am by ADAXL »  

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 9:24am

betcha the fins won. tough buggers :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 10:19am

The Finns did win Grin I will have the exact souce coming next time I log on.
  The Finns also used red hot pieces of iron that they would sling onto the oncomming army

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 2:44pm

The text is A history of the Northern people, by Bishop Olaus Magnus, in 1555. I will not even attempt to try the title in the native language.

IP Logged

ADAXL

Greetings to Slinging.org!

Vienna, Austria (Europe)
Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 11:49pm

slingbadger wrote on Jan 7th, 2007 at 2:44pm:
The text is A history of the Northern people, by Bishop Olaus Magnus, in 1555. I will not even attempt to try the title in the native language.

No doubt about that. This book was the great work of bishop Olaus Magnus. Could you get us an exact quote and perhaps a few text snippets that we can put in the Wiki? I am especially interested in the bit about the red hot pieces of iron. Not your everyday sling ammunition!

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 1:04pm

Next time I have it available.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 10:45am

OK here it is, from the Historia de Gentibus Septentrionaibus, by Olaus Magnus.

Chapter VII Of slings and stone and red hot iron

" But where ther are no stones, which is seldom seen, they cast into forts as forcible as they may, a piece of iron that is glowing red hot, which they put in with a pair of tongs into the purse of a sling. For they have always  ready vessels like to Romane Barels, full of pieces of iron; and putting them int the fire, and fitting it to their sling, and casting against the besieged, they will make such a violent wound and torture, that it can hardly ever or never be cured by the help of the Physitians.  For in the Fall, by reason of its great weight, and burning where it lights; it hurts without remedy; and so to destroy the enemie, either with the terrour of these pieces of iron  which they keep closely or else by the wounds they make."  1555

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 12:13pm

cor !
so what's a romane barrel then ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 3:29pm

I think all it is is a big pot over a fire to heat the metal with

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)