Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
a weird question (Read 6382 times)
Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Re: a wierd question
Reply #30 - Apr 12th, 2007 at 8:20pm

Maybe not quite as bad as it sounds...  the stadium had one end open back then and we could see the playing field and whether or not it had anyone standing on it..They were leaving a few lights on by then so we could see...  an American sized football field is pretty large so we were confident there was little chance of us not landing a strike near its middle and we also timed the fuses so we would achieve an air burst.   We were lucky no one got hurt and you are right in assuming were were young and stupid... former's not longer true... not so sure about the latter.  Evrything went well in the stadium but while shooting our last arrow we lost the nock off the shaft, it dropped on the ground in front of us and we found out first hand about how much energy we were packaging... "up close and personal".  Our location was immediately disclosed and we were both a percussion shocked and flash blinded for a couple minutes.  We got out and yes again... were very lucky no one got seriously hurt.  ABOVE IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR ANYONE UNDER ANY CONDITIONS.   DUMB MISTAKES BY OTHERS HAVE NO NEED OF REPEATING BY ANY WHO HAVE BEEN WARNED... AND YOU HAVE BEEN.

George N

IP Logged

kelthen
Descens

Eyay yesu domine... whack!
dona eais requiem...

Reply #31 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 6:21pm

Home made "Banger" instructions must be told. the wierdest thing i have ever thrown is a revoltingly rancid tomato. it was liquid with a papery husk. aww i threw it up like 20 feet and it just exploded on the road i was near. awesome. ( its apple season here, i need some m-80s Grin)

What is the "insert flash" thing for anyway?? i am the only one who i have seen use it and it didnt work anyway.

This is the wattle, the symbol of our land. You can put it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand. Amen.

IP Logged

Mark
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

South Jordan, Utah
Reply #32 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 11:57pm

Every Easter Sunday we throw our eggs we colored the night before.

During winter, an ice ball.

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #33 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 8:28pm

Weirdest thing I slung was probably old railroad spikes.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Notides
Novicius

I am the King of Rome
and above grammar- Sigismund

Georgia, United States
Reply #34 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 9:04pm

slingbadger wrote on Apr 10th, 2007 at 10:51am:
I am planning to sling some size correct lead glandes. There is an old handball court near mee, and I want to see the damage to the wall and the glande. This way, when I do sling demos, I can pull out a damaged glande to give them an idea of the force of the blow.

I make my own. Pretty fun to shoot but easy to lose living in the woods and all...need to wear a filter mask so you dont get screwed with lead poisoning.

Colonial Bob360  
IP Logged

Notides
Novicius

I am the King of Rome

Georgia, United States
Reply #35 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 9:05pm

Quote:
Weirdest thing I slung was probably old railroad spikes.

ive shot one once.
Weirdest thing ive slung has got to be a toad

Colonial Bob360  
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #36 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 8:02am

Did it survive? And wouldn't it jump out of the pouch the moment you put it in?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #37 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 10:34am

had fun with the glandes. Slingwolf and I got some interesting results. It seems they automatically rifle (spin like a football) on their own. A majority of the hits were always on the points.
Slingwolf slammed a glande against the wall over 50 times. Instead of falling, like they usually do, they started bouncing back. The lead was compressing, therefore, having more of the energy from the hit going back into it.
  Not a scientific breakthrough, but interesting nonetheless. There wasn't much of it left in the end.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Notides
Novicius

I am the King of Rome

Georgia, United States
Reply #38 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 7:16pm

Dravonk wrote on Apr 30th, 2007 at 8:02am:
Did it survive? And wouldn't it jump out of the pouch the moment you put it in?

not if you stun it...It was a while back and I dont remember going to look...were in drought season here in Georgia so I wont be able to try that again for quite some time

Colonial Bob360  
IP Logged

ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #39 - May 2nd, 2007 at 12:41pm

I've slung firecrackers.

IP Logged

kelthen
Descens

Eyay yesu domine... whack!
dona eais requiem...

Reply #40 - May 2nd, 2007 at 8:38pm

i love fire crackers. we have these waterproof ones that can tip a loaded canoe over. my dad wont let me near em though. Sad

This is the wattle, the symbol of our land. You can put it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand. Amen.

IP Logged

cave812
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

tennessee
Reply #41 - May 2nd, 2007 at 11:41pm

I slung a dead bird once. I dont thik it minded since it was dead and just beacause birds were meant for flight doesnt mean there very arodynamic while there dead I probly got 15 meters on it at the most  estimation.

WWW cave812  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #42 - May 3rd, 2007 at 11:50am

[quote]we have these waterproof ones that can tip a loaded canoe over. my dad wont let me near em though.  [/quote]

lmao -  I can't imagine why - umm I'm not sure I'd call those firecrackers I'd call them 'fishing aids' or thunder flashes :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #43 - Jul 14th, 2007 at 12:22pm

Just slung a big rusty nut and bolt yesterday. The bolt must have been a half inch thick, with the nut size accordingly.
  It spun vertically, making a great buzzing sound until it hit the water. Just like a bullroarer, I figure.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

lightfoot71
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Destin, Florida USA
Reply #44 - Jul 15th, 2007 at 12:06am

I was in Guantanoma bay cuba many years ago and we made some slings out of the webbing of an old dragshoot, which is used to slow airplanes down when they land. The webbing was about 3 or 4" wide and we doubled it and used the loop at the bottom for a sling pocket.  I guess the length doubled was about 4' (120mm).  You had to throw a pretty big rock in order to be able to feel it in the sling.  Memory grows dim after all of the years but I think we were throwing those big stones over 400 feet.  There was a big ravine with a road on the other side and we were all eventually able to hit the road.  The road made a bend around a hill and there had been no traffic on it all morning.

I launched a big stone and while it was enroute to the road an officer in a jeep appeared from around the hill.  The stone landed about 20 feet in front of him.  He slammed on the brakes and jumped out to see where the stone had come from.  We were so far away I don't think he ever considered the possibility that it may have come from our location.  We were all amazed at the power and range of the sling.  After almost hitting the officer we quit using slings.  I haven't thought about in years until I blundered on this site.  My grandsons and I were out slinging pine cones awhile ago.  It's still fun.  The male pine cones are pretty dense and sort of oval shaped.  They go pretty good, (Better than sand).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker)