Send Topic Print
a weird question (Read 6370 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
a weird question
Jan 3rd, 2007 at 2:07pm

OK, I know this will get some real interesting responses.
  What is the wierdest thing that you have ever slung? ( slinged?)
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2007 at 11:54am by CanDo »  

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: a wierd question
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 3:13pm

Bulbflower bulbs, but they did not seem weird at the time.
They were the size of golfbals, nearly the same weight and a whole lot of them had been dumped at the edge of a slingable field left laying fallow.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 6:22pm

I've been thinking this sort  of thing would make a funny thread.  Grin
For me it's a rotten apple.  Cool I've also slung a lot of flower bulbs. Eggs would make interesting ammo, though Tongue

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 7:15pm

I've done eggs on a campout with the scouts. They were impressed by the yellow explosion when they hit the adjoining field .

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 8:42pm

slingbadger wrote on Jan 3rd, 2007 at 7:15pm:
I've done eggs on a campout with the scouts. They were impressed by the yellow explosion when they hit the adjoining field .

Grin

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 10:27pm

sunfish while fishing. catch them then sling them back. Neffty catch and release system

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #6 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 11:05pm

I sling any thing I can balance in the pouch. skateboard wheels, chunks of watermelon rinds, cobs of corn, footlong hunks of two by four, small hunks of four by four, grapefruit, gords, handfulls of pea gravel. One revolution in my slings and any object can grow wings.

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 3:41am

Actually, I 've never tried slinging eggs ( although I will certainly have to try it after reading this thread, )
but I have THROWN a lot of eggs by hand. Why? Uh....... I don't know, exactly. Maybe it is because we are
always so careful with eggs ( so as not to make a mess in the kitchen ) and I am just being "contrary." Or maybe because they make such a satisfying SPLAT! when they hit the tree trunk. I will sometimes stop at the supermarket and buy a dozen eggs just to throw them. Then I will go to a friend's house which is at the edge of some woods. It is oddly pleasant to see an egg go high into the sky in a long, slow, gracefully curving trajectory and then come down and SPLAT! against the tree trunk. But not to worry, the mess is biodegradable.                                                                                 
         Smiley  Do you think this is odd of me?

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #8 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 4:30am

it's not odd, it's just something i'll never get used to (the westerner's behaviour with food).
you can recognize our (croatian) immigrants when they are guests over dinner at someone, by just looking at their plates. if you see no butchered food, no leftovers (except the unedible parts, but sometimes not even them), etc., it's a clue.

we do not have fammine here, but we (collective memory) can still remember shortages of food, and rationing, so slinging eggs would be considered very rude. (especially with all the beggars and other hungry people around)

DISCLAIMER: not to say that you are rude by doing so - you live in a different country, and it seems to be acceptible there. i'm just offering a  diferent point of view.

on-topic: i've slung a tortellini (one), once. but it was just "for the faeries" Tongue
(read the Faerie tale from Reymond E. Feist, and you'll get it).
it was cooked, and didn't fly very good.

i've slung watermellon rinds, and they really are interesting. you ahve to choose a piece of 3-4 inches, not over 1-2 inches thick, and sling them hard. they should blast themselves into smaller parts because of centrifugal foces made by rotation in the air.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #9 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 5:33am

Mordechaj,

the Croatian attitude towards food sounds familiar to me. But in Germany it changed significantly throughout the last thirty years. May be the European Unions butter mountains and milk seas pushed a more carefree use of food. And in times where the technical compatibility of your electronical equipment perishes much earlier than the tortelinis in their packing, our values change much faster than we would like to accept (if we would have time to consider).
But nevertheless I still omit the forgotten potatoes on the autumn fields while searching for pebbles to sling.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #10 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 5:45am

Mordechaj wrote on Jan 4th, 2007 at 4:30am:
on-topic: i've slung a tortellini (one), once. but it was just "for the faeries" Tongue
(read the Faerie tale from Reymond E. Feist, and you'll get it).
it was cooked, and didn't fly very good.

I've read just about every other book and am waiting for the next. You like em?

Quote:
i've slung watermellon rinds, and they really are interesting. you ahve to choose a piece of 3-4 inches, not over 1-2 inches thick, and sling them hard. they should blast themselves into smaller parts because of centrifugal foces made by rotation in the air.

Plenty of failed attempts by me in that area.  Sad

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #11 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 7:16am

funda iucunda, i'm sorry to say that you are right.

and jaz - jeah feist is a good writer, but if you want something much more darker and gloomier, try The Iron Dragon's Daughter by Michael Swanwick. that book really can give you chils. (while not beeing horror)

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #12 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 2:54pm

The most weird thing I've ever slung was a cheap smoke bomb. You can buy them as example on Silvester. The first I slung into a stone field and it unfortunately broke at the impact. The other I slung into a wet grass field and it  looked nice to see the smoke in the air. My only hint if you try this too, is to take an old sling, because if the bomb goes off to early you've got a nice colored and perhaps burned sling  Wink

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 8:57am

slung home made smoke bombs and bangers, anybody else ever slung a japonica fruit ? We have a japonica bush in the garden that drops hard yellow fruit - they make a really sharp jelly (jam) and also great sling missiles.
It's not really weird as they are the right size and shape for slinging, but I suppose it would be unusual. Had a mate try and he managed to hit the rotary cloths dryer and sliced the japonica as it went through - just like a cartoon :-)

But yeah I'm with mordechaj - wasting food is childish.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #14 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 2:13pm

I did slung japonica fruit (I had a check on google Tongue), just didn't knew what it was. japonica bushes are vastly planted in Holland everywhere they can Tongue in winter these apple-like things are all over the place, usually i take a bag and collect them and then go to my sling-place and sling them at the containers. every time i go there I look at the nice yellow colour from the japonica's   Smiley
since I dont have lot of time to sling.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)