Send Topic Print
one hand staff sling (Read 5230 times)
jeordie
Tiro

Sling stones, not mud

Denver (metro), Colorado, USA
one hand staff sling
Jan 2nd, 2007 at 12:08am

Here are my revised plans for a one handed staff sling. I tried this a few years ago but using a Y-shaped wire end that didn't work very well.

The staff is a 1 cubit (elbow-to-fingertip measurement) long, 1 inch diameter piece of oak mop handle. The grip end is wrapped in soft, waxed leather with a ski pole styled lanyard anchored just above the grip and at the "back" of the weapon (near the thrower's thumb webbing & opposite the string notch). The launch end has a deep, wide notch on the leading edge of the tip to control & give direction to the strings. This notch may be reinforced by fitting an appropriately sized (inner diameter) peice of metal tubing over the tip & extending at least 1 inch below the lowest point of the notch; secure tubing via nail/screw through shaft & bend tube wall flush into the notch & file smooth.
 One end of the cord is tied through a hole in the staff, about 1/5 inches below the tip. Countersink the holes so that the string doesn't fray or wear. Run the cord up through the notch, over the top & back down the back of the staff. The pouch should be roughly even with the end of the staff. Place your hand through the lanyard ski pole style & run the other cord back along the first & down the front to the end. This gives the thrower an adjustable knot end. Find which finger makes a good release finger for you - I use my little finger. Tie a knot that is movable in case you wish/need to make adjustments, such as a figure 8.

The slinging motion I use is a overhead, bullwhip type action with a follow through. Side arm is possible but is dangerously inaccurate. I havn't tried cross-body, greek or underhand.
I have only used computer mouse balls & similar size/weight stones & clay glandes with this sling. I have also had good experiences using this sling in moderately thick cover where a regular sling might tangle in the brush or branches.

A quick & less expensive version may be made from nylon cord, a pouch, cloth athletic tape for the handle & a PVC pipe shaft. Or an appropriately sized, forked branch with the cord tied below the fork.

Let me know how it works for you! The tubing & oak handle are out of my budget until my doctor permits my return to work. My previous version worked well with the exception of the wire tip bending, twisting etc.

**Note: B & C are reversed in the drawing. I will correct this soon. Thanks 4 the catch Tint.  Embarrassed **
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2007 at 8:46pm by jeordie »  

Low tech has a huge advantage

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: one hand staff sling
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 8:27pm

Looks real cool!  what range can you get out of it?  How does it compare to a hand sling?

I think you have the pictures B and C mixed up....... Undecided

Thanks for sharing!

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 8:42pm

Looks good!  Smiley So you use it in the same way as a normal sling?  Huh

IP Logged

jeordie
Tiro

Sling stones, not mud

Denver (metro), Colorado, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 8:53pm

Jaz wrote on Jan 2nd, 2007 at 8:42pm:
Looks good!  Smiley So you use it in the same way as a normal sling?  Huh

Thanks Jaz! Smiley Yes, like a normal sling, but no helicopter casts.

Tint wrote on Jan 2nd, 2007 at 8:27pm:
Looks real cool!  what range can you get out of it?  How does it compare to a hand sling?

I think you have the pictures B and C mixed up....... Undecided

Thanks 4 the catch Tint. Most of my target practice deals with hunting situations, namely ground targets, so I use it within 30 yards or so in the local brush. I have however made over 100 yards with an XL egg sized rock. Nothing measured though, & these casts were made with my old wire launch end.
 I find that it is as or more accurate as a short sling with a greater range, but not as much as a regular sling of the same length, pouch-to-hand.

Low tech has a huge advantage

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 8:56pm

Jeordie,

You and Stringman should get together and compare notes!  Last October, he wrote about a one-hand staff sling that he built years ago.  There are some differences: yours has both cords held by the slot, right?  And you are holding the release cord between one finger and the staff?  So when you are ready to begin swinging the staff, the cords both hang from the tip of the staff (being kept from slipping out one side or the other by the side walls of the slot)?

Stringman's design
had the retained cord tied to an eye-screw in the end of the staff, and the release cord passing through an eye-screw (or a hook) in the back side of the staff, so that he was holding it between staff and thumb (holding his staff-sling, you would have your hand in the classic hitch-hiker's gesture, fingers folded and thumb pointing at right angles to the forearm).

I've got a one-hand staff sling almost finished, based on his design.  I'll let you guys know how it works.  Then I might try a copy of your design.

Dale (who copies anything worth copying)

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 11:17pm

I made one of these this past summer. All i used was a golf club minus the head. I took one of my old slings and duct taped the release cord about four inches from the end. Then just slide the finger loop over the tip load the pouch and throw like you are casting a fishing pole. It works pretty good pretty accurate, what I really like was the zero wind up and being to throw almost completely with the wrist. Wuold be very effective for hunting. I beleive accuracy could be honed very quickly with one of these, and the power is still there.

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 10:20am

Does your staff sling double as a walking stick?

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark)