Denver, Colorado (Read 1441 times)
jeordie
Tiro

Sling stones, not mud

Denver (metro), Colorado, USA
Denver, Colorado
Dec 31st, 2006 at 2:31am

Hello!

I'm Jeordie & I live in the Denver metro area. I grew up in Arvada, about 15 miles NW of downtown Denver, in what was then near the edge of farmland & wide open spaces. Any locals? I'd love to be able to have a plinking & design partner or a few. Smiley

My mother gave me my first sling at the age of 5 and I've been using slings off and on all of my life. I like to make different styles of slings, manufacture my own ammo (clay & lead, rocks are too irregular), study the mechanical physics involved (simple math, please- fps/release velocity, etc) and make diferent types of slings. My favorite casts are a bullwhip or javelin style overhand, figure 8 & underhand for shots @ rising birds.

My current projects are a shotgun styled sling, a one handed staff sling, kestrosphendone and making lead glandes cast after a golfcross ball. Does anyone have one to spare? I'm somewhat loathe to buy six of them just to make a mould.
(My reason for the golfcross glandes is the same reason that golf balls are no longer smooth- the dimples reduce drag effects.)

Low tech has a huge advantage

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Re: Denver, Colorado
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2006 at 4:10am

Greetings, Jeordie, and welcome to the forum!                                                      
         You say that YOUR MOTHER gave you your first sling? ??? "Word to your Momma!"
          I would be a bit surprised if you could sling anything other than snowballs in Colorado. We have
been watching the news reports and you folks are getting slammed pretty hard with all that snow. Oddly
enough, we have less than an inch here ( I'm in Massachusetts about fifty miles west northwest of Boston. ) which came down yesterday afternoon, and we've only had a couple of dustings in the past month. This is unusual for New England for this time of year.                                                                  
         Since you've been slinging for such a long time, I'm sure you can give us much useful information.
I look forward to reading your posts!  Smiley                                                                                  
                                                                                                                             .......Dan

IP Logged

jeordie
Tiro

Sling stones, not mud

Denver (metro), Colorado, USA
Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2006 at 1:46pm

Thanks 4 the welcome Dan!

This is definitely the season 4 stored ammo & making new slings etc by the fire.

Yes, that's right! Mom also alllowed my siblings & I  to practice archery & use airguns, provided  that we had a responsible adult nearby & the animals were inside. Ah, the joys of a terraced garden. The railroad-&-chain link shoring made perfect backstops. Arvada was quite rural in the 80s.

Low tech has a huge advantage

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 8:25pm

Welcome jeordie,

Wish my mom was like yours!   Cheesy

good luck with your projects.  Tell us how it turns out.  I am especially curious about the one hand staff sling.  It should work well but I don't think it was used much according to histrory.

See you around!

Tint

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)