Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shotgun sling (multiple glandes) (Read 1059 times)
jeordie
Tiro

Sling stones, not mud

Denver (metro), Colorado, USA
Shotgun sling (multiple glandes)
Dec 31st, 2006 at 1:56am

hello!
Has anyone made or is anyone familiar with this type of sling? I have a few ideas but want to do more research b4 I start construction.

My father hunted with slings as a child, including a scatter-sling for small game birds like ptarmigan, grouse & pheasant.  This had a very wide, slightly pocketed pouch & used the local diluvial pea gravel for ammunition. His slings were always knotted or a continuous piece of leather. I find that flat leather straps slow sling velocity, twist & impart unnecesary spin to projectiles.

I'm new to the forum & have been slinging off and on since I was 5. I am recovering from a recent traumatic brain injury & broken arm (neither related 2 slinging  Wink ), so please excuse any typos & if you have any questions please ask.

Jeordie

Low tech has a huge advantage

IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Re: Shotgun sling (multiple glandes)
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2006 at 4:49am

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear of your injuries, I hope "slinging therapy" works for you.  I have played around with multiple shots too.  I found that a smooth shallow cupped pocket worked best for them.  With a single shot spin, and therefore a pocket with a bit of roughness,  is very handy but with multiple the smoother the better.  I used to use a reversable pocket, corse canvas on one side and leather cloth, pvc side outernost, on the other.  With modern materials maybe one could cut up a teflon baking sheet and use that, no idea if it would be tough or flexable enough to hold up but if it did it's be excellent for multiple shots, very slippery.  I also played with slinging shingle wet or dry.  It seemed to make a slight differance, wet grouped a little tighter,  but not much and was a lot slower..  Makes a great looking spray cloud on leaving the sling though.

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Re: Shotgun sling (multiple glandes)
Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 6:12am

Welcome, Jeordie!  I have a picture of my magnum slings somewhere on this site (I think it was under "rapid Fire!")  The short one is designed specifically to allow for the widest variety of possible practical projectiles, to include multiple projectiles, which it does very well.  It holds a bunch, and sprays them in a nicely spaced, consistent  pattern suitable for self-defence, survival hunting, etc. at normal open choke "sawed-off" shotgun ranges. Wink

Happy slinging!

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker)