Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bootlace pouch (Read 4552 times)
Jaz
Descens

Bootlace pouch
Dec 29th, 2006 at 4:31pm

I've just finished making a one-string sling out of 2 bootlaces. I've woven a third through the pouch and the sling seems to work very well. The pouch is shape-able and can almost be molded around the projectile, so I think anything from a small marble to a largish rock would work as ammo. This is probably my best sling, and my simplest.
Anyone else made one this way?

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Re: Bootlace pouch
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 5:29pm

Nice looking sling. My slings are more utylitarian. I'm a one of those lazy slingers, who prefer slinging than making slings Smiley

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 5:40pm

I can't say I spent much time on it. About 30 minutes.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 5:49pm

You are a very skilful craftsman. I'm not.

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 5:52pm

Hardly. Just looking at one of Willeke's slings humbles me. But thanks.  Smiley

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 9:27pm

I understand and can relate. Normally I am one of those lazy slingers too. I just became intrested in how to make a good looking sling for "dress" occassions.

Marc Adkins

Yurek wrote on Dec 29th, 2006 at 5:29pm:
Nice looking sling. My slings are more utylitarian. I'm a one of those lazy slingers, who prefer slinging than making slings Smiley

Jurek

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 12:37am

Nice work Jaz!

I made a similar sling once.  It turned out too stiff for me and i was too lazy to do it again. Tongue

I guess lazyness is a trend around here!

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #7 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 4:03pm

i once made a very similar sling from 1/4 inch cotton rope with the core removed.  i wove the pouch with jute twine.  it came out well, and i gave it away as a gift.

my dress slings are the apache style with leather pouches sewn on.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Admiral.Gallaway

Avast, me mateys, throw
'em to th' sharks

Wisconsin
Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 10:14am

how do you make  pouch like that? I suppose just make a simple string pouch by knotting the rope then take another string and under, over, under, over. Is that right?

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 3:39pm

Admiral.Galloway,

Just right.

Matthias posted
detailed instructions
recently, using nylon cord or something like that, but the technique is the same.  Matthias's pouch has eight warp strands, but with thicker cord or leather thongs you need as few as three warp strands (which is what Jaz's has).

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 4:15pm

Dale,
I do not agree that it is the same method that Matthias used, it is more like the 5th sling in this photo of your collection.
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?board=1;action=display;num=1122764510;start=20
Here is a link to an other sling made the same way:
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1120019688/35

I know there is a post with instructions how to make it, but I can not find it.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #11 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 9:30pm

You are correct, Willeke, they are not the same in many details (though they are similar in general).  I spoke imprecisely, and may have mis-led some readers.  Matthias stretched a number of warp strands on a primitive loom (two cup hooks screwed into a board) and then wove the weft strand through the warp.  My simple woven sling was made by tying a sheepshank three-strand pouch, and then used that as the warp and wove a weft strand through the warp.  Of course, I was copying
Klarh
and
Neolyth

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 6:55am

neat looking thing - but how can it be a one string sling when you used three strings ?
:-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #13 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 3:44pm

Well, that all depends on what you mean by "string."

The one-string sling (besides being an alliterative name) is a string made from one string: the pouch is made from the middle portion by folding it into three sections and tying a couple of knots.  But when dealing with the pouch itself, it is convenient to disregard the endpoints and speak of each of the three pieces of the pouch as a string.  It is simpler to speak of the left string, the middle string and the right string, than to speak of the piece of the pouch that extends from the retained cord, the piece of the pouch formed by folding the cord back, and the piece of the pouch formed by folding the cord back again and which then continues to become the release cord.  Bleah!  Too many words!

In any case, Jaz seems to be using "one-string sling" as a name for a particular style of construction, because he himself states that he made it from two bootlaces (and I think I can see where he joined the two, to the right of the pouch) and then wove a third bootlace through to make a "solid" pouch.

OK, have I beaten this dead horse enough?  I'll shut up now...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 7:55am

lmao - think you argued yourself out of your original opinion there dale.
Obviously the one string sling is a style of sling - equally obviously if you use more than one string it's not a one string sling :-)
looks neat though.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man)