Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Korfmann Article Question (Read 7141 times)
winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Korfmann Article Question
Dec 26th, 2006 at 7:25pm

Of course I'm talking about Manfred Korfmann's article The Sling As A Weapon (Scientific American, 229(4):pp34-42. Oct. 1973)
Several months ago I photocopied it from the collection in the local medical libary. After purusing the article again I noticed something. I can't find any references for the article. So either I missed photocoping that particular page or the article didn't have any to begin with. So does anybody have any idea which of the two that it is?
Yes I'm looking at this for a specific reason and needing to collect as much information as possible Smiley

I'm trying to stay sane while I work on the next draft of my unrelated masters thesis. What I am thinking of doing is a slinging related numerical analysis. That way I stay in practice for my academic research and do something that I enjoy doing.

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Korfmann Article Question
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2006 at 9:05am

I have the same article and no, there are no references. Dr. Korfmann was a German archeologist who spent major amounts of time at the Troy site. He also wrote a book on the comparisons of the bow and sling from the site of Troy. Alas, I have found the book, but it is totally in German. There is no english translation that i have been able to track down. Angry
  He does cite some original authors from the timeperiod. Those are easily looked up. Infact, I am also writing a research paper on slings, and have followed this path. He cites only a small amount of what is available, especially from Vegetius.
Given his credentials, I would think that he could be a primary source.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2006 at 11:13am

I was just making sure, Yes i agree with ya on that with his credentials that he can serve as the prmary source. So i will just have to extrapolate the data I need from either his article or try searching for the rest of them. I'll strat working on this during the next cycle of my thesis submission.

Marc Adkins

slingbadger wrote on Dec 28th, 2006 at 9:05am:
I have the same article and no, there are no references. Dr. Korfmann was a German archeologist who spent major amounts of time at the Troy site. He also wrote a book on the comparisons of the bow and sling from the site of Troy. Alas, I have found the book, but it is totally in German. There is no english translation that i have been able to track down. Angry
 He does cite some original authors from the timeperiod. Those are easily looked up. Infact, I am also writing a research paper on slings, and have followed this path. He cites only a small amount of what is available, especially from Vegetius.
Given his credentials, I would think that he could be a primary source.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2006 at 4:46pm

There are a few references associated with the Kaufmann article, but in Scientific American at least then, they put them separately at the end of the magazine, not the article.

I only recently looked that article up and remember at least four or five 'references'.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 12:14am

OK I'l recheck then next time I'm in the libary.
Thanks

Marc Adkins

wanderer wrote on Dec 28th, 2006 at 4:46pm:
There are a few references associated with the Kaufmann article, but in Scientific American at least then, they put them separately at the end of the magazine, not the article.

I only recently looked that article up and remember at least four or five 'references'.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 3:11pm

Korfmann finished his book "sling and bow in South-West-Asia" in 1970 as his doctor thesis. It was published in 1972. The aim of this book is to check the opinion of some scholars that in early times the West-Asian people used exclusively used the sling and Egyptians the bow. From page 53 on to the end (p. 235) he shows the archeological findings of sling shots and arrows form 8000 to 3000 B.C. That is very detailes and - for me - rather boring. The first part until page 52 is interesting. He gives a short description of the sling and summary of historical quotes. He compares bow and sling and explaines the ballistic of both weapons.
On page 277 and 278 there is an English summary followed by a French. Unfortunately I didn't have them. But I can by get copies when I once manage to visit the library again (it's all a question of spare time Sad )

Unfortunately Korfmann died last year in the age of 63. He was practising slinging which he learned during his archeological campaigns in Turkey. When it came into my mind to contact him for getting some practical advice I heard about his sudden death in the radio, two days later.  Cry

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 12:44am

He died while praticing slinging? Huh Roll Eyes

I'm just kidding.   Bad joke.   Lips Sealed

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 10:29am

Funda, where can I get the book?  Too bad he didn't have his body creamated, we could have put the ashes into clay glandes and given him a 21 sling salute Cheesy

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
you started with the morbid :P
Reply #8 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 7:03pm

slingbadger wrote on Dec 30th, 2006 at 10:29am:
Funda, where can I get the book?  Too bad he didn't have his body creamated, we could have put the ashes into clay glandes and given him a 21 sling salute Cheesy

we still can, but it'll take some more digging.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #9 - Dec 31st, 2006 at 1:35pm

EEEEUUUUUUwwwwhhhhhhhhhhh! Tongue

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #10 - Dec 31st, 2006 at 5:39pm

I Agree with ya Badger......
But then the dark side kicks in and that little ugly part of me goes Ya Know he does have a point. Tongue

Marc Adkins

slingbadger wrote on Dec 31st, 2006 at 1:35pm:
EEEEUUUUUUwwwwhhhhhhhhhhh! Tongue

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #11 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 10:14am

slingbadger,

by scanning several online catalogues of university libraries I found that the book was in the University Library in Hamburg. There I got the oportunity to work with it during a couple of hours. It is no really big edition. So not many universities are likely to provide a copy. The best way is to search for it in the online catalogues of those university libraries you can visit without travelling too far. That saves time and money.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #12 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 3:40pm

Tint,

you got the mistake in my mail. May be that it was a hard joke, but I laughed.  Smiley

funda iucunda

Tint wrote on Dec 30th, 2006 at 12:44am:
He died while praticing slinging? Huh Roll Eyes

I'm just kidding.   Bad joke.   Lips Sealed

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #13 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 9:36am

OK,
So I happened to be passing the local 'big' library, and collected the references to Korfmann's Sci. Am. 1973 article. Probably everyone who actually wanted them has got them already Smiley, but if not here they are.

• Glandes Plumbeae Latine Inscriptae. K. Zangmeister in Ephemeris Epigraphica Vol 6, pp1-143 (1885)
  • Excavations at Olynthus: Part X. David M. Robinson. Johns Hopkins University Press, 1941
  • The Significance of the Sling for Greek Prehistory. V. Gordon Childe in Studies Presented to David Moore Robinson on his Seventieth Birthday: Vol I, edited G.E.Mylonas, Eden Publishing House, 1951.
  • Schleuder und Bogen in Suedwestarien. Von den Fruehesten Belegen bis zum Beginn der Historischen Stadtstaaten. M.Korfmann in Antiquitas 3, Vol 13, 1972.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #14 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 11:13am

Excellent!
I'll try tracking some of them down.
Marc Adkins

wanderer wrote on Mar 6th, 2007 at 9:36am:
OK,
So I happened to be passing the local 'big' library, and collected the references to Korfmann's Sci. Am. 1973 article. Probably everyone who actually wanted them has got them already Smiley, but if not here they are.

• Glandes Plumbeae Latine Inscriptae. K. Zangmeister in Ephemeris Epigraphica Vol 6, pp1-143 (1885)
  • Excavations at Olynthus: Part X. David M. Robinson. Johns Hopkins University Press, 1941
  • The Significance of the Sling for Greek Prehistory. V. Gordon Childe in Studies Presented to David Moore Robinson on his Seventieth Birthday: Vol I, edited G.E.Mylonas, Eden Publishing House, 1951.
  • Schleuder und Bogen in Suedwestarien. Von den Fruehesten Belegen bis zum Beginn der Historischen Stadtstaaten. M.Korfmann in Antiquitas 3, Vol 13, 1972.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus)