Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tibetan yak hair sling (Read 6275 times)
Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: Tibetan yak hair sling
Reply #15 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 8:29pm

winkleried wrote on Jan 11th, 2007 at 1:01pm:
Yes folks I reinvented the CAT-apult.

LOL  Grin

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #16 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 12:39pm

lanolin might work, it could well be the hair drying out - though from what little I Know about yak hair (longest naturally occuring animal hair, and excellent insulating properties as the yak can withstand extremes of cold for longer than any other animal).
So I doubt it's naturally an oily hair.

I'll have a go at wrapping it round a rock and taping it up for a week or so. :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #17 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 12:39pm

Willeke wrote on Dec 28th, 2006 at 8:39am:
I have no experience with yakhair, but think making it wet would help.
But wait for Matthias for a 'learned' answer.

Willeke

I just caught this thread... For protein fibres I'd try steaming first. Get a full boil going on the kettle and then steam the pouch. wrap the warm pouch around a rock (hey a hot rock would be even better) and then steam it again. The heat should allow the fibres to slide against one another a little and at the same time become more elastic. You can set shape into wool relatively easily.

Of course this all depends on the construction of the yarn, that of the fabric, and the material. My experience is with muskox, rather that yak, but the wool/guard hair are similar. There should be enough oil in the hair already unless it's been chemically scoured (unlikely).

Matthias

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #18 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 3:59pm

Thanks for the advice. The hair of my sling isn't chemically scoured at all.
Its exudes the finest natural scent unwashed cattle hair ever can  Wink

funda iucunda

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #19 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 1:14pm

Well the weather cooperated and didn't bring down either ice or snow (finaly) this weekend. So me and the new tibetian sling wennt out to the family property to see what she could do.
First things first it defiantely is a lot shorter than i like my slings.  As I loaded it up for an exploratory underhand cast and let go I discovered something about this particular sling, Yak hair is Bleeping slick. Yep the stone and the sling went sailing down range. I recovered the sling and adjusted my grip and went at it again. A few inverted apache casts to warm up, the distance of the cast was was ok.
when I went to the apache and the sidearm casts was when this sling started excelling. range wasn't so good but consistancy was very respectable. managed to put all the light weight stones I was using inthe same general area. I must explain here I was slinging in an open pasture and the stones would hit in an area and disappear so there will be no range figures in this report. Was basicly slinging as fast as i could reload the pouch. with no release knot there was a small pop...more like a PhFFT when the stone would release from the pouch and the stones were singing as they left. once i would get near the bottom of the stones in my belt pouch.( normaly very light stones that just wouldn't normaly fly I started experimenting with loading multiple stones in the pouch for a buckshot effect. I definately need more work in this technique.

All in all I think this sling is going to be hung on the wall and a short sling of similar diameter is in the things to create list.

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #20 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 3:14pm

so did you adjust/shape the pouch before use ?

I'd certianly say they were slick as everything I tried in mine flew out sideways :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #21 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 3:34pm

I did shape the pouch before I used it. Heck that's pretty much ll i could do with it with all the icestorms we been having in this area lately.

Marc Adkins

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1167165805/15#20 date=1170706465]so did you adjust/shape the pouch before use ?

I'd certianly say they were slick as everything I tried in mine flew out sideways :-) [/quote]

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #22 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 8:46am

right I wrapped the pouch round velcro dotted ping pong ball (you throw them at targets and they stick - also stick to yak hair :-) and then used cable ties to hold the pouch tight and wrapped and it's been held over the kettle every time someone's made a drink this last week. Just unwrapped it and it definitely has taken a good pouched shape.
Now all that remains is to see how long that shape remains when it's used - but it's looking good people :-)

The side effect of steaming yak hair is that you get a very interesting smell of warm yak. Being a rural kind of guy I quite like it :-)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15)