Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tibetan yak hair sling (Read 6303 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Tibetan yak hair sling
Dec 26th, 2006 at 3:43pm

got one of these from tint in a trade.
Nice looking thing but as a practical sling - downright bloody lethal.

Very nearly wiped out both parents on christmas day - not good lol :-)
basically the pouch is far  too rigid - didn't matter how big small or heavy a rock I used the bloody thing just came out sideways.

Without a lead glande the size of a tennis ball I can't see it being useful for anything :-)
but heh I can hang it on the wall. :-)

Just be warned don't get one of these and expect to use it for normal ammo the flat pouch just won't hold anything under the density of big lead chunks.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: Tibetan yak hair sling
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2006 at 8:31pm

Oh I am sorry to hear that Cry.  i got 7 of those from ebay and the first few I tried had no problem.  I must have mail a new one that I haven't tested to you.  A similar problem occured with another sling I traded with funda_iucunda.  perharps you can try wraping a stone in the pouch for a few days so that the pocket becomes more concave?

once again i am sorry.  I didn't test all the slings because I found out that I was allergic to horse hair after i slung with the first few........ Tongue

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2006 at 9:37pm

Curious_Aardvark,

I checked with Tint, and he said this advice should work (and not wreck the sling).  The pouch is too stiff and flat, so you need to make it more flexible or you need to shape it.  Tint's advice (above) will shape the pouch without removing its stiffness.  If you want to make the pouch more flexible, you can take it in your hands and fold it back and forth for a while, working the fold point from one end of the pouch to the other.  By the time you have worked your way from one end to the other and back again, the pouch should have lost its stiffness.  Either technique will make the sling more usable.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2006 at 7:48am

lol tint it's not your fault mate.
But after havng a rock bounce past my mums foot on our christmas day dogwalk I decided to give up for the day lol

Yep I'd come up with the shaping idea, that's definitely what it needs.
do I need to wet it as well ? (like you would with leather)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #4 - Dec 28th, 2006 at 8:39am

I have no experience with yakhair, but think making it wet would help.
But wait for Matthias for a 'learned' answer.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2006 at 11:15am

Hey Tint do ya have a Link to the ebay site ( if any still exist)

Marc Adkins

Tint wrote on Dec 27th, 2006 at 8:31pm:
Oh I am sorry to hear that Cry.  i got 7 of those from ebay and the first few I tried had no problem.  I must have mail a new one that I haven't tested to you.  A similar problem occured with another sling I traded with funda_iucunda.  perharps you can try wraping a stone in the pouch for a few days so that the pocket becomes more concave?

once again i am sorry.  I didn't test all the slings because I found out that I was allergic to horse hair after i slung with the first few........ Tongue

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #6 - Dec 28th, 2006 at 11:16am

I used a similar technique ( Working it back and forth) on loosening up the sisal sling I braided a few weeks ago.

Marc Adkins

Dale wrote on Dec 27th, 2006 at 9:37pm:
Curious_Aardvark,

I checked with Tint, and he said this advice should work (and not wreck the sling).  The pouch is too stiff and flat, so you need to make it more flexible or you need to shape it.  Tint's advice (above) will shape the pouch without removing its stiffness.  If you want to make the pouch more flexible, you can take it in your hands and fold it back and forth for a while, working the fold point from one end of the pouch to the other.  By the time you have worked your way from one end to the other and back again, the pouch should have lost its stiffness.  Either technique will make the sling more usable.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #7 - Dec 28th, 2006 at 8:50pm

Here is the link to the ebay store!  slings on sale!

http://stores.ebay.com/Gifts4Tibet

Slings sold here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TIBETAN-SLINGSHOT-medium-TIBET-FUNDRAISER_W0QQitemZ270041194...

Here is the link to the tibet charity site:

Makes me wanna to go there and visit the slingers!

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #8 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 12:04am

Thanks Tint, I had been on the site before but couldn't locate the slings. I have just sent a message to them and if all goes well should have one ordered tomorrow.

Marc Adkins

Tint wrote on Dec 28th, 2006 at 8:50pm:
Here is the link to the ebay store!  slings on
sale!

Slings sold here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TIBETAN-SLINGSHOT-medium-TIBET-FUNDRAISER_W0QQitemZ270041194...

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #9 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 11:19am

Took a chance and ordered the last remaining sling from them. I'll let you folks know once it arrives.
It will make a nice addition to my Peruvian Sling.
Marc Adkins

winkleried wrote on Dec 29th, 2006 at 12:04am:
Thanks Tint, I had been on the site before but couldn't locate the slings. I have just sent a message to them and if all goes well should have one ordered tomorrow.

Marc Adkins

Tint wrote on Dec 28th, 2006 at 8:50pm:
Here is the link to the ebay store!  slings on
sale!

Slings sold here:

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #10 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 3:29pm

winkleried,

you managed to make sisal more flexible. How did you do that exactly and was it sufficient. I'm going mad about this stiff stuff  Sad

funda iucunda

winkleried wrote on Dec 28th, 2006 at 11:16am:
I used a similar technique ( Working it back and forth) on loosening up the sisal sling I braided a few weeks ago.

Marc Adkins

Dale wrote on Dec 27th, 2006 at 9:37pm:
Curious_Aardvark,

I checked with Tint, and he said this advice should work (and not wreck the sling).  The pouch is too stiff and flat, so you need to make it more flexible or you need to shape it.  Tint's advice (above) will shape the pouch without removing its stiffness.  If you want to make the pouch more flexible, you can take it in your hands and fold it back and forth for a while, working the fold point from one end of the pouch to the other.  By the time you have worked your way from one end to the other and back again, the pouch should have lost its stiffness.  Either technique will make the sling more usable.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #11 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 5:08pm

Ok full Disclosure here.
The Sisal sling I made was my first attempt at braiding and turned out to be shorter thatn I like. So I gave it to friend of mine here at work as a christmas present along with three articles about slinging in her native language.

Now how I did it was i used a similar technique to one I heard about in my childhood about dealing with lnew stiff lariats. First trick was to drag the lariat behind your horse for a few miles. the bouncing around supposedly lossened up the fibers. Don't have access to a horse anymore and I didn't want to drag it behind the car going to work. So i modified that some what by constant rolling and unrolling of the sling. I would first fold the sling and let it hang. ( similar to preparing it for an apache cast. I then coiled it up, then I slowly uncoiled it, then re-coiled it. Every so often when coiled I would squeeze the coil like an hand exercise ball. I did this fairly solid for a couple of weeks. It never got as loose as my Leather bootlace sling but it definately worked loose a bit. I'm pretty sure if I had kept it and actully cast with it a few times it would have gotten looser. But that last part is pure speculation on my behalf

Sorry couldn't be of more help
Marc Adkins

funda_iucunda wrote on Dec 29th, 2006 at 3:29pm:
winkleried,

you managed to make sisal more flexible. How did you do that exactly and was it sufficient. I'm going mad about this stiff stuff  Sad

funda iucunda

winkleried wrote on Dec 28th, 2006 at 11:16am:

Marc Adkins

« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2007 at 7:44pm by Chris »  

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #12 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 4:06pm

for softening my slings, i sling with them often (as often as is possible...) and carry them in my pocket constantly, with the keys and the folding knife.  slinging with the pouch empty is another way to help loosen up the sling, in theory...i think maybe if nothing left the pouch then the energy would be forced to stay in teh slings, and it would wear on teh strength of the fibers a little.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #13 - Dec 31st, 2006 at 4:23am

When weaving and spinning the fats and oils are a problem and so are mostly washed out before working the wool or hair.  Yet when it comes to hair over use of shampoo causes dryness and brittleness eg split ends.  So, as the sling is now made, what would happen if one put some oils back, lanolin seems the most obvious and easy to get one,  it is the oil from sheep wool.  Neats food oil may be ok too as that is the oil from hooves, similar material to hair, and is used to soften leather.   It might help restore flexability and preserve the sling too.  Probably best to try it on some other hair thing  first as this is just me theorising,  it might  not work and could even ruin it.

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #14 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 1:01pm

Ok the thing arrived yesterday. I'll see if I can get some pics of it. Won't be able to sling anything with it until  the weekend....Ok the Kitten that thought it was some sort of marital aid doesn't count. Yes folks I reinvented the CAT-apult.

Definately a little shorter than I like my slings but we see what she can do.
Marc Adkins

winkleried wrote on Dec 29th, 2006 at 11:19am:
Took a chance and ordered the last remaining sling from them. I'll let you folks know once it arrives.

It will make a nice addition to my Peruvian Sling.
Marc Adkins

« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2007 at 7:43pm by Chris »  

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)