Slinging googlies (Read 1970 times)
Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Slinging googlies
Dec 17th, 2006 at 10:37am

Googly is a bowling term from cricket.  It refers to a ball which spins the opposite way to what one would expect from the bowling action.  Whether one has a wide grip or a narrow one the intuitive thing to do is to have the release cord to the front at the moment of casting.  The only exception I've read about is to have it to the side for the rifling effect.  The effect of this on spin is that the projectile rolling through the pocket, away from the retention cord,  gives a natural backspin on an overhand release and top spin on underhand.  When using a mounted sling years ago I used to turn the stick round sometimes and the other day I tried this with a a traditional sling.  It didn't catch on the retention cord, as I'd feared that it might.   I wasn't slinging all that well with it but well enough to be fairly confident that when I've worked out a decent reverse grip and got used to the different timing, which seems very different, the technique would work. For me this would be very handy as I can get more power into my underhand deliveries but prefer the flatter longer trajectories of backspin.  It would also help if lobbing with overhead casts.  I also just like the idea of being able to spin both ways with any casting style.  Has anyone else experimented with reverse grips and if so do you have any tips to pass on?

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

Crazy Tom
Tiro

rock (1) bunny (none)

Denver Colorado
Re: Slinging googlies
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 11:18am

i tried wrapping a strip of swede round a few nice rocks, to give them more grip and spin, i didn't notice to much of a difference but i didn't try "googly"

Macgyver taught me how... ... ...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 11:59am

do you actualy mean swede or did you intend to put suede ?
One is a hard root vegetable that I can't see being of much use and the other is soft leather that might do what you wanted.
:-)
As I never grasped the essence of googlies in cricket I'm going to avoid it in slinging I think. Who knows I might be doing it without knowing :-) (but I definitely don't google)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 3:42pm

I consulted Google about googlies.  As far as I can tell by reading descriptions of how to do it, the bowler breaks his own arm in the process of throwing the ball in such a way that the batsman will be confused about which way it will bounce, and thus swing his bat at the wrong spot, where the ball is not.  Perfectly sensible.  Seems like it would use up bowlers at a ferocious rate, though.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 4:07pm

Leg break, arm break... what's the difference really?

As far as grip goes, my overhand throws put topspin on the rock (fig-8), as do my underhand/sidearm (down and right) Undecided Nice backspin is a good goal for the average rock - better than rifle-spin.

What works very well to reverse the direction of spin with any throw is to swap the cords so that the retention cord passes behind the grip. My standard grip is a pinky loop, with the retention cord passed up the inside of my palm and out between pointy and my middle finger. The release end is pinched between my forefinger and thumb, giving me a relatively narrow but stable grip.

If I instead pass the retention cord out through the gap at the base of my thumb, but still use the forefinger/thumb pinch, the order of the cords is swapped and the rock spills out int the other direction. The only drawback for me is that the grip *feels* a little less ecure because the retention cord can move around a little, but it works pretty well. I never liked the "two-cord" pinch method and wide grips for similar reasons, it just doesn't feel as stable to me.

Matthias

IP Logged

Crazy Tom
Tiro

rock (1) bunny (none)

Denver Colorado
Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 7:51pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1166369873/0#2 date=1166547556]do you actualy mean swede or did you intend to put suede ?
One is a hard root vegetable that I can't see being of much use and the other is soft leather that might do what you wanted.
:-)
[/quote]

no i meant swede... my mom grew them, the core is surprisingly useful IF you tan it like a snake skin... but suede might work...  ;D

but did you intend to tell me actualy or actually... actualy has one L and actually has two...

f u r hung ^ on spelling u r ignorant :P :P :P

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 8:29pm

I have tried it.  But it doesn't seem to have the power.  I much prefer having the pouch behind the rock so that it feels as if it is pushing the rock at the release.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 8:30pm

You pulling my leg?  You can actually tan a vegetable and use it like leather?

Actually (correct spelling BTW) I pictured you wrapping a puppet around your rock ... bork, bork, bork!  Swedish chef, get it?

Ouch!  OK, I'll quit, don't hit me again! And it was a googly, I ducked the wrong way...

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Crazy Tom
Tiro

rock (1) bunny (none)

Denver Colorado
Reply #8 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 11:30am

Dale wrote on Dec 19th, 2006 at 8:30pm:
You pulling my leg?  You can actually tan a vegetable and use it like leather?

Actually (correct spelling BTW) I pictured you wrapping a puppet around your rock ... bork, bork, bork!  Swedish chef, get it?

Ouch!  OK, I'll quit, don't hit me again! And it was a googly, I ducked the wrong way...

hahaharsrsrs, that was a good one... made me chuckle... but  as for the veggie leg pulling.., yes

IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #9 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 10:54pm

Oh what a shame, I rather like the idea of slinging swedes, as in vegetables,  not Swedish people obviously, that would be cruel and they'd probably struggle in the pouch anyway hense ruining any spin effects

After my extensive experiance of trying the reverse grip, twenty maybe even thirty minets, I too found what Tint mentioned,  shots were low power   Partly, maybe, because I didn't know what was going to happen and didn't like to go for it.

My standard grip is a little differant, if I don't use a finger loop I wrap a figure of eight round my little and ring finger with the cord emerging between the two to run up the inside of my fist.  If I do use a loop I put it over the little finger and give one turn around the ring finger, it ends up feeling pretty much the same with the retention cord locked tight between the two.  I then hold the end of the releace cord between the pads of my index finger and thumb, or sometimes between both my index and middle finger and thumb.  This is fairly wide with about the lenth of the finger between the cords.  I had and tried both knotted and looped type slings, didn't make any differance except I could fiddle around more with the knotted one.

When I tried reversing the cords I had the retention cord emerge from the back and gave it a bit more distance by pushing it out further with the back of the middle joint of my middle finger.  I held the releace cord with my thumb against the inside of my first index finger joint.  After all that it was pretty bad anyway.  I'll try your method next time I'm out Matthias, sounds far better.  I also tried simply gripping the sling as normal and turning the hand round but throwing with a twisted arm was no good at all, someone more flexable may be able to do it but not me.  Done very very gently it may be a warm up for some peculiar muscle groups though.

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy)