Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Plastic bag slings? (Read 4727 times)
Jaz
Descens

Plastic bag slings?
Dec 13th, 2006 at 3:29am

This probably fits in general discussion as it is sling-related, but I'm not really contributing anything so I won't waste space there. I've seen a few references to "plastic bag slings" around but don't have a clue what they are. Since I'm a bit short of sling-making materials but have quite a few plastic bags, I'm asking: how do you make them? (A short description's more than enough). Thanks in advance for any info.  Smiley  Cheesy  Grin

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: Plastic bag slings?
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2006 at 5:20am

Short answer---- cut bags into strips and braid them. Wink

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2006 at 5:40am

You maybe able to find some tips on this thread, Jaz.

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1139872806/0

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2006 at 5:42am

Oh, and yes, this belong to the general discussion page.  No need to be shy just post your questions there and you'll find that this forum is full of people willing to help out anyway they can!

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2006 at 7:31am

It's quite difficult to find info on making plastic bag nor duct tape slings in the internet. How do you make platic bag cordage? I've seen that in the 'Primitiveways', but no instructions. Huh

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2006 at 2:44pm

loh_kah_hoe,
When you cut plastic bags in narrow strips you can use those to make string like all other string.
If you are patient you cut one long spiral out of each bag, if you do not like cutting that much you can roll the bags so that with each cut you have a circle of plastic. Cut those and use them to spin or braid.
More info on spining (plastic bags) you can find in these 2 threads:
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1120019688/0
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1120178047;start=0#0

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2006 at 5:37pm

Thanks for the links and stuff. I don't think I'll equal any of the slings I've seen.  Shocked I've tried braiding some strips of plastic bag - i'ts surprising how small and strong the braid becomes. Haven't made a sling yet, but will (try  Roll Eyes ) soon.

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2006 at 10:36pm

For anyone who's interested and likes to make plastic bag slings, I've developed a method of melting strips of plastic together for braiding. (I 'spose you could just tie them, but when I do this I get bits sticking out of the braid.) All that's needed is some card, some normal aluminium foil used in cooking and a desk lamp with flat glass in front of the bulb.  

1: Get a strip of card, long and about 5cm wide. Cut a flap the width of the plastic strips you want to melt together into one end of the card (green lines). Leave a narrow gap and cut the rest of the card to the width of the lift-up flap.

2: Cut a piece of foil to a bit wider than the plastic strips. Wrap this around the end of the card, below the lift-up piece.

3: Put the ends of each strip of plastic below the lift-up bit of card, resting on the foil and coming in from either side. They should overlap by however much you want to melt together.

4: Fold the long left part of the card over the foil, plastic and card, back and forth. (brown-red lines)

5: Turn the lamp on, wait for the glass to heat up, and press the foil underside of the thingo against the glass. Your fingers should be on the other side, pressing all the layers of card together. The strips of plsatic dangle downwards.

6: Wait ten or so seconds then take the whole lot down. The plastic should be fused together well enough to braid it as a single piece. If your fingers get hot, the plastic has probably melted by then.

WARNINGS (and stuff): Obviously, the lamp is hot. Don't burn yourself. It's probably best to work near an open window and keep your face away from the melting plastic. I'm not sure if it gives off fumes. Their's also a possibility the paper will catch fire, but I think it's unlikely.
Just be careful if you try it.  Wink  Grin Grin
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2006 at 6:20pm by Jaz »  

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #8 - Dec 14th, 2006 at 10:37pm

Shocked Hey, there was meant to be a diagram.  Angry

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #9 - Dec 14th, 2006 at 10:43pm

Sorry about that.
("NOTICE: If you had an attachment in your post, you will need to reselect the attachment again in the browse box for security reasons.")
Basically it is a long piece of card with a flap at one end behind which the ends of the plastic strips rest on a piece of aluminium foil which heats up and melts the plastic together. The ret of the card is folded over it back and forth for insulation against the heat, and that's where you hold it.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 11:15am

Jaz,
Thanks. I think I understand it without the diagram Cool

But in many cases you can just overlap the strips, without melting or glueing.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #11 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 7:58pm

? about the sling after fused together is it stonger or weaker than if just braided
2. couldyou post a pic

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #12 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 11:47pm

Someone with a sharper paper shredder than mine could probably use it to shred plastic bags to prepare them for spinning  into cord.

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #13 - Dec 16th, 2006 at 2:27am

lobohunter wrote on Dec 15th, 2006 at 7:58pm:
? about the sling after fused together is it stonger or weaker than if just braided

If the fusing is done exactly right the fuse braid would be a tiny bit stronger, but if the melting is a little overdone the braid would not be stronger, it would be weaker instead.
When the overlap is long enough to overcome the stretch of the braid, say 2,5 cm (one inch) on a tight braid to 5 cm (two inch) on a rather loose braid, there is no loss of strength for the connections.

Willeke

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #14 - Dec 17th, 2006 at 2:19am

Quote:
2. couldyou post a pic

Lobohunter, I wasn't really thinking of strength when I came up with this, I'm just not great at braiding and find it frustrating trying to add strips of plastic to a braid because they like to slip out a few seconds later (especially when adding a few at once - it gets awkward). I tried using glue but it wasn't strong enough to let me braid tightly. It sounds like Willeke knows more about it than me (I don't know much about braiding), but I think as long as the plastic above and below the melted part is gripped by the braid there wouldn't be a big difference in strength overall, unless more than one strip is fused at the same place in the braid.
Sorry about no pics, I'm having trouble attaching them to my posts.  Sad Angry
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2006 at 3:35am by Jaz »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark)