Send Topic Print
Injury! (Read 2261 times)
Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Injury!
Dec 3rd, 2006 at 8:31pm

I was slinging with one of my 8mm nylon slings last week.  It is a very heavy sling and I must have slung too hard.  My index finger was sore for the next few days and I couldn't put any weight on it.  I think if I went on slinging I would have done some serious damage. Tongue

IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Re: Injury!
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 9:59pm

That sucks...I am betting on a tendon pull, have you seen a medical professional about it? Ice always helps me, 20 minutes on 20 minutes off, repeat until you have to go to bed.
I hope you get back into one piece soon.   Sad

Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 1:31am

Sorry to hear that Tint.  As it is a joint might be a good idea to be careful with your diet, avoid acidic foods and especially red meats ( uric acid ) and red wines ( tanic acid ) you don't want to agrivate it into gout or a form of rhumatism.  One consolation is that you are an ambidexterous slinger so you can still sling.  Do get it looked at.  I hope you get well soon

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 8:08pm

hard luck tint - why not try looping the littlest finger? the strain is taken by the palm of the hand

sv

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 9:55pm

Thanks for the concern, guys!  I am much better now. Still haven't gone slinging though.  Some more rest can't hurt. Cool

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 10:39pm

Whenever I get hurt I give the injury usually two days to rest then start right back using the injured part. If you tell your finger it won't have to work if it gets hurt then it will allow itself to get hurt more often. This only applies to sprains, strains, cuts, abrasions, and bruises. Obviously broken bones would take three days. JK

IP Logged

cipher20
Tiro

NJ, USA
Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 10:53pm

Tint has invented a new injury.... Slinger's finger... very similar to Tennis elbow, but only affects the fingers.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #7 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 12:19am

No please don't give me the finger!  Slinger's finger Grin!

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2006 at 7:58pm

Sorry to hear of your injury Hope you heal well soon But in mean time if you have to sling try a wrist loop
Quote:
Tint has invented a new injury.... Slinger's finger... very similar to Tennis elbow, but only affects the fingers.
not good considering Tints a tennis pro lol

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2006 at 8:01pm

No way in Hades am I touching that statement.

Marc Adkins

Tint wrote on Dec 5th, 2006 at 12:19am:
No please don't give me the finger!  Slinger's finger Grin!

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Crazy Tom
Tiro

rock (1) bunny (none)

Denver Colorado
Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 11:41am

when i use a large sling with heavy ammo i use one with a wrist loop it doesnt hurt and it seams to help my range...  Wink

Macgyver taught me how... ... ...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 11:57am

Well I would be sympathetic but it's not in my nature - unless it's almost severed or the bones poking out the skin my natural inclination is to shout WIMP ! and then laugh :-)
lol

But sounds like you need to make some kind of adjustment in style to avoid people shouting wimp at you and laughing in the future (lol)
(I'm guessing that's just me :-)) 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #12 - Dec 25th, 2006 at 4:19am

Crazy Tom wrote on Dec 19th, 2006 at 11:41am:
when i use a large sling with heavy ammo i use one with a wrist loop it doesnt hurt and it seams to help my range...  Wink

Slingers,                                                                                       
              Perhaps I'm being overly cautious ( maybe it comes from working in a hospital ) but have you slingers considered that a potential "occupational hazard" of slinging might be.....ahem, brace yourselves.....
AMPUTATION. If, for example, you were to start a throw and the sling were to accidently get caught on a
bush ( there is a lot of brush in the woods around here. ) I am always careful when I sling to keep clear of
bushes or tree branches, and all of the slings I have made have a loop large enough to fit three fingers, thus
spreading out the force over a larger area. I have been meaning to try a wrist loop, ( good advice, Crazy Tom! ) but have not gotten around to it yet.                           
              The sling is a lot of fun, but it is wise to remember that it is NOT a toy! Be careful!          
                                                                                                                                          .......Dan

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #13 - Dec 26th, 2006 at 3:43pm

another reason i like wrist loops
well said

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15)