Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll Poll
Question: Do you want to chat, and if so, when?

No    
  0 (0.0%)
Yes, but not on a fixed time    
  10 (62.5%)
Sunday, afternoon/evening    
  3 (18.8%)
Saturday, afternoon/evening    
  2 (12.5%)
Yes, I tell my prefered time below    
  1 (6.2%)

Total votes: 16
« Created by: Willeke on: Dec 3rd, 2006 at 6:49am »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chat? (Read 2349 times)
Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Chat?
Dec 3rd, 2006 at 6:49am

Chat room address: http://www.slinging.org/chat/

We have had a chat at a fixed time for a while and some people came in each week. But as less and less people came in the chatroom was left empty after a while.
But then we had our chat party and everybody involved said we should do this more often.
So lets try again.

It is hard to set a time we all can, but we can have several sessions through the week or one session that runs for a long time on the set day so that we all can join in.

For a begin I would like to suggest the Sunday, as I will be available most days to be run a session.
How about one session starting around noon American East Coast / 5 PM England and a second session about 3 hours later, so about 3 PM American East coast / 8 PM England. (The rest of the world please work out your local times from these.)
These times are middle of the night in Asia / Australia, so I would like you to suggest a better time for yourself, the others can than join in when they are awake.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Re: Chat?
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 7:08pm

If anyone wants to talk then there shouldnt be a fixed time. If they are checking out the forums simply open up two Internet screens and go to Slinging.org. With one of them you can have the chat going on, and with the other they can check on the posts. So if ya wanna chat, open up another and always be on... just a thought  Undecided

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 2:59pm

thats the smartest thing i eard today Houndog  Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 4:06pm

If there are other people online, by accident, that works. It works even better when you mention being online in the chat thread.
But when you know that other people will be online it is much easier to make that little extra efford to come to the computer, open the chat screen and check what is going on each minute at least.
That is the reason I asked what time will be good for other people.
I will be online Saturday and Sunday this weekend to see if people show up.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 5:17pm

i'm just gonna go with hound's suggestion and log in on the chat and Then check out new posts from now on.. (still i'm logged in for keeps i don't know if that means i'm displayed online all the time)

Taiki  
IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 5:24pm

Yay for me!!!  Grin  That is just what i do when i am on chat and also wanna check out the forums.

EDIT:          Or other websites for that matter.  Tongue

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 8:21pm

Why not do both:
Encourage members to log into chat if they have time
Have a set day once a week for everyone to meet up

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 3:33pm

You only show up as being online when you are at this forum.
When you only have the chatroom open you do not show up as being online in the forum.

It would be helpfull for those who would like to chat at no fixed time if those who open the chat mention it in a chat thread. (Not here please, lets keep this one for the poll.)
When we know who also likes to chat we can open the chatroom when we see some of them in. (I have done it like this for almost as long as the chat was running on the site. It works, but a set time is also nice.)

Willeke

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 4:32pm

hmm maybe someone should have a look and see if it can be done to put 2 online signs (dunno if it can be done even) one for the people on forum another for people in chat.. just an idea  Cheesy

also i have been doing as stated i'm in chat whenever i have been online (met Ulrica to day for a short but nice chat) i will keep on doing this  Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 5:52pm

Willeke wrote on Dec 7th, 2006 at 3:33pm:
You only show up as being online when you are at this forum.
When you only have the chatroom open you do not show up as being online in the forum.

It would be helpfull for those who would like to chat at no fixed time if those who open the chat mention it in a chat thread. (Not here please, lets keep this one for the poll.)
When we know who also likes to chat we can open the chatroom when we see some of them in. (I have done it like this for almost as long as the chat was running on the site. It works, but a set time is also nice.)

Willeke

Press Ctrl + N

Opens a new window.

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2006 at 11:00pm

HEY! my older bro just introduced me to firefox...hehe
and he showed me how to put tabs up at the top...so i was messing around and found out that i could put tabs up there and go from the  chat room to the forums with one click on a tab...kinda cool..another suggestion on how to chat AND look at the forums.. Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar)