Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Shotgun Slug Glandes (Read 6388 times)
Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Shotgun Slug Glandes
Reply #15 - Dec 10th, 2006 at 9:56pm

I was keeping this a secret, but as there are other who aparently have enough time to go around melting stuff...

I have some two part silicone that is designed for casting lowish melting point metals, sold in jewelery supply places and the like. It is far too expensive for playing with sling glandes (sorry, I know slings should always take priority) but casts exquisite detail, releases cleanly, and tolerates undercuts and spiral grooves. This summer, I learned a new trick involving standard ("vinegar smell") clear silicone caulking that may be an option. This type of silicone is inexpensive, and cures on exposure to atmospheric moisture. This means that you can't cure thick sections of it in any time period not measured in months, except for the tube you accidentally leave in the caulking gun, that cures overnight...

The trick is to mix water into the silicone and then fairly quickly make your mold. Instructions I've seen call for dish soap and water, artist's acrylic paint, or sometimes plain water. You want to get as even a distribution of water in the lended silicone as possible, and the soap/acrylic medium works to make a good emulsion. I think the paint also had the benefit of showing when you had an even blend. I don't remember the recipes of hand, but I son't think you needed much water.

So you mix this stuff up, put in a yoghurt container and bury your plug. once it has set, you cut around the plug, zigzagging to "key" the mold halves together and you are good to go. Does it stand up to lead - I don't know yet, but it should be pretty close. I haven't done the research, or the test, but I'm offering the idea up to the group to see if anyone can answer those questions. Search for " cheap silicone molds" or "GE silicone molds" and you should be on your way.

Careful with molten stuff, and it bears repeating that lead and water DO NOT get along. Make sure any mold you use is bone dry.

Matthias

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #16 - Dec 11th, 2006 at 3:35pm

Awe "Large Canadian Squirrel" hmmm next time I accidentluy find myself in Canada. wich I did last year while exploring the adironacks I will use one your glands to bag said beast lol
Hey thats not the dreaded Sabor tooth squirle is it
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2006 at 8:03pm by lobohunter »  
Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #17 - Dec 11th, 2006 at 10:11pm

Hey, I never thought about silicone...I am going to try that, thanks Mathias. It sounds like it just may work. I will update tomorrow after I make a huge mess and  almost burn my arm off  Wink

Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #18 - May 7th, 2007 at 8:00pm

lupis wrote on Dec 8th, 2006 at 10:52pm:
Lobo, if I can make that work you will be the first to receive a boxed set...But you have to send me back a bit of anything you kill with them.

I have been thinking about elk lately lol

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #19 - May 8th, 2007 at 11:36am

[quote]you have to make a jig to hold the slugs in alignment and tightly to one another or they will slip around and set up funny[/quote]
Just tape the joint with duct-tape. What I do when I epoxy stuff together.

So could you get shotgun slug reloads ? Would be cheaper and safer than deconstructing a live round I would have thought :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slinginginmass
Descens

Memorize A440

massachusetts
Reply #20 - May 8th, 2007 at 4:16pm

Don't you need to use a different barrell when firing slugs with a shotgun? I always thought that this was because the slug barrell was rifled. If this is the case the slug would not be any better than anything else made of lead because your sling probably is not rifled. I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time. I am however a very nice man, very nice indeed.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #21 - May 8th, 2007 at 8:06pm

heres what I wondered If one used a wide grip. A.K.A rifle spin if the grooves would help. besides these slugs are designed to spin

IP Logged

1srelluc
Ex Member

Reply #22 - May 8th, 2007 at 8:40pm

slinginginmass wrote on May 8th, 2007 at 4:16pm:
 Don't you need to use a different barrell when firing slugs with a shotgun? I always thought that this was because the slug barrell was rifled. If this is the case the slug would not be any better than anything else made of lead because your sling probably is not rifled. I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time. I am however a very nice man, very nice indeed.

The slug pictured is a Forrester type slug that in employed in a smooth (reg) shotgun barrel. The slugs usually used in a rifled slug barrel these days are saboted slugs. The sabot contacts the rifling not the slug itself. It is a matter of conjecture if the Forrester type slug spins at all in a shotgun barrel. It would probally spin better out of a sling due to "english" being applyed on it.

A egg sinker (2-3oz) will do a better job than a Forrester type slug in a sling. Plus there are all manner of pointy things you could screw into the holes.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #23 - May 9th, 2007 at 3:30pm

really!!! screwing pointy things into the holes of egg sinkers. Why the thought never accurred to me lol

IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #24 - May 9th, 2007 at 9:45pm

I am still trying to get the silicone mold working properly. I have good recipes, but am having trouble with water content in the mold. You definitely do not want water residue in the mold when you pour molten lead into it...
I have finally thrown a couple of my less professional versions of the slug. I have no idea if they actually spin or not in flight, but I am pretty sure that they are not tumbling end over end. (I conjecture that they are spinning if not tumbling) I do know that they go farther than anything else I have been able to throw up until now. I bet that is due to their better mass to size ratio.
I must agree that egg sinkers would be a bunch easier to use, but not nearly as interesting. This has kept me off the streets at night for quite some time now Wink

Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick)