Send Topic Print
Shotgun Slug Glandes (Read 6323 times)
lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Shotgun Slug Glandes
Dec 2nd, 2006 at 12:13am

I had an idea the other day that a shotgun slug would make a good projectile. After all it is designed to be stable and accurate in flight.
Then it hit me that a single slug would weigh only one ounce, but two would weigh almost twice as much.
So I then got the idea that good epoxy would be able to hold the two slugs together, but still they would not be heavy enough.
To be creative I tried to mix in a bunch of #4 shot into the epoxy for extra weight.
The end result is a projectile that is 4cm long by 2cm wide with airflow grooves already cut in that weighs about 2.5 ounces.
They look better in real life than they do in the pictures. I have not brought myself to throw them yet because I will loose them for sure.
The pictures show the slugs alone, a slug with #4 shot behind it and the finished product.
These were made from very old slugs, I wonder if a new style slug would turn out a better result? I am also wondering if it would be worth my while to try and clean up the outside of the gland and then make a mold and pour some out of pure lead...HHHmmm

slug4.jpg (70 KB | )
slug4.jpg

Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Shotgun Slug Glandes
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 11:40am

Another thig you can try is the birdshot in a clay glande. Basically you would have a primative fragmentation grenade.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 6:56pm

I'll try the birdshot...My wife says that if I am going to bake anything for slinging I have to go buy a toaster-over from goodwill so I don't 'break' any more of our appliances... Wink

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 2:22pm

very nice would love a tutorial and results of test throws hmm i am also wondering how to of them put together would work one might even use the lead slugs for this. that would give you 4 ounces would it not. hmmm with wide grip and spiraling grooves I smell a new big game ammo coming up.
then if we added a couple broad heads not to mention! oh wait i get a head of my self.

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 10:47pm

Lobohunter...I would love to give you a tutorial with pictures for every step, but I did not take that many pictures Embarrassed
I can just sort of talk you through it though...
First - Get at least two shotgun slugs, I did use only the lead slugs after I cut them out of the shell. Shotgun slugs are, in my experience, usually one ounce each but you may be able to find heavier slugs to use if you  shop around.
Second - Mix some heavy duty epoxy, I used Superweld, and mix in as much #4 shot as seems reasonable.
Third - Fill up the hollow of each slug with your epoxy mixture. Put a little extra on one half for the joint.
Fourth - Put two slugs together, you have to make a jig to hold the slugs in alignment and tightly to one another or they will slip around and set up funny. I bent the lid from a can of tuna into shape for this. Wipe off the extra epoxy that is leaking out of the join, set into your jig.
(Don't forget to wash your hands using cold water after, lead poisoning sucks.)
Last - Wait for the epoxy to set up.

The only problem is that I know for sure that when I throw them I will never find them again, so I don't want to throw them...This is a bit of a problem. I have five all told. I am going to clean up the best one and make a plaster mold of it and pour copies of it from melted fishing weights, after I have a way to make more I will be more inclined to throw them.
I wonder if I could pour the copies right around a couple of broadheads so they are built right in? I don't see why that would not work...Good idea

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 7:02pm

it should work if u use two broad heads saw off the scews so they will both fit
yummy rifled razor sharp spinning blades of surgical steel very nice

IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2006 at 10:52pm

Lobo, if I can make that work you will be the first to receive a boxed set...But you have to send me back a bit of anything you kill with them.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2006 at 11:21am

Ok not sure about  how the weather is around you during the spring or summer. But instead of full blown baking in an oven, you might be able to just sun dry the glandes. Might be able to keep a little more married bliss that way
And boy can I sympathise with you one accident with a kitchen applience and the next thing you know you're banned from the kitchen for life as she defines it Smiley

Marc Adkins

lupis wrote on Dec 5th, 2006 at 6:56pm:
I'll try the birdshot...My wife says that if I am going to bake anything for slinging I have to go buy a toaster-over from goodwill so I don't 'break' any more of our appliances... Wink

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2006 at 11:22am

Sounds like a good deal to me where do I sign up ?

Cheesy

Marc Adkins

lupis wrote on Dec 8th, 2006 at 10:52pm:
Lobo, if I can make that work you will be the first to receive a boxed set...But you have to send me back a bit of anything you kill with them.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2006 at 11:29am

Actually I'm thinking instead of using a standard Shotgun Slug. Try a saboted slug. From what I remember multiple years ago ,for some reason, me and a couple of friends decided that it would be a good idea at the time so we cut one apart. Basicly a biconal projectile with the tips flattened off. Oh yeah it was completely solid as well.

Also for those of us that don't come to this section of the board a whole lot can we move this thread to the general discussion please ?

Marc Adkins

lobohunter wrote on Dec 6th, 2006 at 2:22pm:
very nice would love a tutorial and results of test throws hmm i am also wondering how to of them put together would work one might even use the lead slugs for this. that would give you 4 ounces would it not. hmmm with wide grip and spiraling grooves I smell a new big game ammo coming up.
then if we added a couple broad heads not to mention! oh wait i get a head of my self.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #10 - Dec 9th, 2006 at 12:42pm

Personally, I like buying kitchen utensils for the sole purpose of not using them in the kitchen, it drives my wife batty Wink Drying in the sun would probably work fine, but at this time of year there is more rain than sun, so in the oven they will go.
I am going out today to get some plaster and lead. If I can make a copy of the basic gland I will go get some broahead tips and try a fancy version. I see no reason it won't work. I will post it on the trader board if I get something that I think is worth trading. (Except for Lobohunter who has to go get me a squirrel or two, big squirrels I mean, not those little ones.)

I am not sure this would be appropriate for the general Discussion board, I know a couple of moderators have looked at this post and it is still here...They have been doing this longer than I have.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #11 - Dec 9th, 2006 at 3:21pm

We tend not to move threads unless there is a good reason for it, to avoid people loosing track of where threads are, and ammo belong to general as well as to other.
But on request I will move the thread.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #12 - Dec 9th, 2006 at 6:32pm

squirrels are kinda a small target. how about a big fat raccoon or snow shoe hare

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #13 - Dec 9th, 2006 at 7:58pm

Thanks for claifying that for me Willeke. I personallly would have thought that sling ammunition would have belonged in the general discussion. But I could be mistaken so I'll go through the other board and see what I can find more ammo posts.

Marc Adkins

Willeke wrote on Dec 9th, 2006 at 3:21pm:
We tend not to move threads unless there is a good reason for it, to avoid people loosing track of where threads are, and ammo belong to general as well as to other.
But on request I will move the thread.

Willeke

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #14 - Dec 10th, 2006 at 9:17pm

I am happy to have this posted where ever the mod's wish...

Lobohunter, I was referring to the Large Canadian Squirrel, which is large and can fight a bear if need be. Of course they always loose, but they do fight. If you are more comfortable with a raccoon or bunny that is good too Wink

I made my first attempt at a mold last night, it did not turn out well. Apparently the spiraling grooves are an issue. It seems they spiral. This means that when I am pulling them out of the mold half of the grooves are destroyed due to the twist. I am going to try re-orienting the glandes on its end, maybe pulling it straight out with a bit of a twist will get it in one piece...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)