Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
acorn bread (Read 3578 times)
buger

I love Slinging.org!

acorn bread
Dec 1st, 2006 at 9:08pm

i read on a survival site you could grind dry acorns or wild grain to make powder,and water to it and make a sticky dough,it said this is a supreme trap bait for herbivores, think the acorn powder would work

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: acorn bread
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 9:17pm

buger wrote on Dec 1st, 2006 at 9:08pm:
i read on a survival site you could grind dry acorns or wild grain to make powder,and water to it and make a sticky dough,it said this is a supreme trap bait for herbivores, think the acorn powder would work

That sounds really cool, do you have the name of the site?

Of course the only way to find out is to try it yourself Smiley

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 4:20am

not just bait - you could bake it and eat it too.

it does not have a great taste, and will probably be a bit heavy on your digestion system, but it's edible and nutritious.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 4:38am

I have been told about acorn bread by someone who made it in a survival course.
He said you first shell the nuts and then grind the meats. You wash the meal twice in water (or more often) and next prepare it so it is ready to eat, and what you get tastes like wallpaper glue, and is about as nutricious.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 8:16am

I just love to see this posted in the 'Other Primitive Weapons' section Cheesy.

For humans at least I'd certainly back up the 'wash several times' but I have to say it didn't taste that bad to me! But then if the wallpaper paste is made from flour that probably tastes OK as well.

It was used as a flour extender in Europe during times of shortage, and lots of native american tribes gather them, or did Undecided.

IP Logged

buger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 10:41am

www.wildwoodsurvival.com go to traps then go to trap baiting,scroll to the bottom of the screen and it says how

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 11:46am

I've made this. what you have to do is crack open the acorn, then place them in some kind of cloth. ( a t shirt or burlap will do) Then you place it in a stream that is flowing. Weigh it down. what you will see coming out of it is black colored water. this is the tannic acids leaching out of it . When that no longer occurs 9 usually overnight) the meat is ready to eat.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

buger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 8:55pm

do you have to do that to make trap bait

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 11:52am

No, just for human consumption.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #9 - Dec 25th, 2006 at 3:22am

buger wrote on Dec 1st, 2006 at 9:08pm:

Hey,  buger,... and Slingers,

I used to do a lot of deer hunting and from what I've read about Whitetail deer, they absolutely LOVE
acorns, especially WHITE OAK acorns. Apparently, whatever the nutritional value of acorns for humans, for Whitetail deer that are trying to fatten up for winter, acorns are the perfect food! It appears that acorns do indeed have a lot of stored energy in them, at least for animals ( human nutritional requirements are probably different. )                                                               
         Here in the center of New England where I am, the woods are very mixed. We have some evergreen conifers ( needle bearing trees with "pine cone" seeds ) which are mostly hemlock and some pine, and we have a mix of deciduous trees with a lot of sugar maple ( maple syrup! ) and red and white oak.            
         If you can find a good stand of white oaks you can get some idea of deer movement and feeding habits. You have to pay attention to the condition of the "mast crop" ( acorn crop ) as it is cyclical and varies quite a bit from year to year. Some years the acorn crop has been abundant, and in other years it has been much less or almost nonexistent. The condition of the crop is a common topic in various hunting publications,
as well as word-of-mouth among hunters. If the crop is not good, the deer will change their feeding patterns to some other food.                                                                           
         Buger, are there big stands of white oak in the woods where you are? If you find some white oaks, then you might find some, uh..... "steak-still-walking-around" near them!                                                    
                                                                                                                                   .......Dan

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 7:35am

Most forest herbivores eat acorns - so yep can't see how it wouldn't be a good trap bait. Particularly if you've made them a concentrated lump wihout the troublesome shells.
But you'll get no end of squirrels having a go before deer show up.

Kind of like fishing for carp with bread, it gets nibbled by smaller fish as well :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #11 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 10:51am

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1165025303/0#10 date=1168518945]Most forest herbivores eat acorns - so yep can't see how it wouldn't be a good trap bait. Particularly if you've made them a concentrated lump wihout the troublesome shells.
But you'll get no end of squirrels having a go before deer show up. [/quote]

And the squirrels would probably take more than they can eat and bury them...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris)