Send Topic Print
New Forum! (Read 4998 times)
Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
New Forum!
Nov 26th, 2006 at 10:52pm

I've upgraded the forum software!  The new version is packed with new features, including the ability to upload images directly to the site.  People can also create polls.  I think it is a worthwhile update assuming nothing breaks.  I've been successful in converting and transfering over all of the data from the old forum. 

I will be making continious updates to the appearance.  Don't be worried if things change on you.

I hope everyone will give the new version a spin.  Post in here if you encounter any problems. 

Chris
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2006 at 12:12am by Chris »  
IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Re: New Forum!
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 11:27pm

It seems to work, I did find that I could only read some text when I hovered the mouse over it untill I logged in and it all turned blue.  But don't know if that is an anti spam device, could be hard for guests if so.
Thanks for your work Chris, it's much appreciated.

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 11:37pm

I am finding that the old links don't seem to work anymore.

Marc Adkins

Sandbumoen wrote on Nov 26th, 2006 at 10:52pm:
I've upgraded the forum software!  The new version is packed with new features, including the ability to upload images directly to the site.  

I will update the appearance soon.  Just want to make sure it is working first...

I hope everyone will give the new version a spin.  Post in here if you encounter any problems.  

Chris

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 11:37pm

I'm having some trouble getting the CSS to work properly, colors and such.  It might be flakey for a little while.

IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 11:43pm

I can't find the chat yet, is it hidden or yet to be added?

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 12:02am

> I am finding that the old links don't seem to work anymore.

What do you mean?

> I can't find the chat yet, is it hidden or yet to be added?

I'll add that link to the top row soon.  For the time being, people can access chat using this link:
http://www.slinging.org/chat/

Chris

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 10:02am

YaBBC glow and shadow are no longer there  Cry
although the YaBB2.1 YaBBC feature set seems larger. Wink
Steven says: ''

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 2:27pm

ACK!  I can no longer see ALL of a user's posts!

Oft-times I can remember that somebody said something, but I cannot find that post easily.  So I go to "Members", pull up that person, and view ALL of his posts.  The "Show the last X posts by <whoever>" feature is present in the new forum version, but it will show no more than the most recent 25 posts.

If possible, please add the "All" option to the list again.  Thanks!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 2:35pm

On the other hand, the search is better in some ways.  I no longer have to type in a number of days to go back; I can select from a week, a month, three months, a year, or ALL posts.  The default is one week.  May I ask that this be changed to one year?

On the other, other hand, the maximum number of posts returned by a search is 15.  Period.  It was really very useful to me, to be able to pull up a couple of thousand posts, if that was what I needed to wade through to find some picture or description.  Could this be changed?  Perhaps the popup menu for this item could be changed back to a text box where you type the number.

Chris, I hope you have a lot of patience!  All that work to get it set up, and now all we are doing is saying "Change this!  Change that!"   Wink   Thanks for all your work!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #9 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 2:37pm

Dale wrote on Nov 27th, 2006 at 2:27pm:
ACK!  I can no longer see ALL of a user's posts!

Oft-times I can remember that somebody said something, but I cannot find that post easily.  So I go to "Members", pull up that person, and view ALL of his posts.  The "Show the last X posts by <whoever>" feature is present in the new forum version, but it will show no more than the most recent 25 posts.

If possible, please add the "All" option to the list again.  Thanks!

Maybe we can have last 50-100-250-500-1000-all instead of the small numbers we have now.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #10 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 2:45pm

You can now see all posts for a single user.  I've expanded the search results to show a maximum of 1000.  That should be sufficient.  It will hurt the server too much if there is no cap.  Let me know if you think we need more.

Chris

Dale wrote on Nov 27th, 2006 at 2:27pm:
ACK!  I can no longer see ALL of a user's posts!

Oft-times I can remember that somebody said something, but I cannot find that post easily.  So I go to "Members", pull up that person, and view ALL of his posts.  The "Show the last X posts by <whoever>" feature is present in the new forum version, but it will show no more than the most recent 25 posts.

If possible, please add the "All" option to the list again.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #11 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 3:02pm

Sandbumoen wrote on Nov 27th, 2006 at 2:45pm:
You can now see all posts for a single user.  I've expanded the search results to show a maximum of 1000.  That should be sufficient.  It will hurt the server too much if there is no cap.  Let me know if you think we need more.

Chris

I can not find the show posts button any more. (I might just have overlooked it.)

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #12 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 3:11pm

Willeke, should be working now.  Bumped the max to 2000. 

I've also set the forum posting levels (god, full member, etc) back to the old forum's settings. 

Not sure when I'll get around to changing the default search time.  Maybe Matthias is up for hunting around the scripts again. 

Chris

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #13 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 3:18pm

Smiley

Willeke

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #14 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 4:08pm

Thanks for changing those limits, Chris!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)