Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SCA Slinging Competition? (Read 4600 times)
Hammilton
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

SCA Slinging Competition?
Nov 22nd, 2006 at 6:43pm

I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about the Society for Creative Anachronism's Slinging competition?  Is it all just accuracy, or is there an actual combat reenactment?

I'm working on my first maille hauberk and plan on getting into SCA stuff, but if I can use a sling for it, that'd be great!

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: SCA Slinging Competition?
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 2:38pm

Depends on what Kingdom you are in. No Kingdom right now allows the use of slings in combat. At least not yet.
  I am the slinging marshal for Aethelmearc. We have a system set up for target slinging. It's still not well known, but people are gaining interest in it.  The biggest thing I can say is do demos at events. ( space permitting)
  What I like doing is a two tier demo. First, there is pure distanc e and power, where you can just let go and impress people with distance.
  The second is target. I use the coroplast archers targets and golf balls.  I fire off at different distances.
   Hope this helps. What kingdom are you from??

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2006 at 6:38am

Okay - I can see this post rapidly being moved - 'cos:- what on earth are you talking about with this Kingdoms stuff ????????????????????????
:-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2006 at 1:06pm

Aard-- The SCA is a medieval reenactment society. We cover Europe and the Near East from about the 4th cent. AD to 1600.
  We are a tax free corporation, based out of Milpitas, CA. Unlike the RenFaires, most of our events are private. We cover just about anything you can think of in the time periods, from martial skills, to Arts and Sciences, and all aspects of daily life.
  The Knowne World is divided up into 16 Kingdoms, each with its own heirarchy.
  When you join, you create a Persona, someone who could have lived . I am an 11th cent Irishman named Cynwyl Mac Daire. I am a craftsman and slinger in western Ireland in the time of Brian Boru.
  Unfortunatly, I have a young Viking slinging student named Grimmwulf ( aka slingwolf) boy is he a pain in the neck.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2006 at 1:09pm

If this sounds interesting, go to our website, SCA.org
100,000 people running around in funny clothes and hitting each other with swords can't be wrong!! 8)

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2006 at 7:45pm

Hey Slingbadger,
Actually i'm pretty certain that my kingdom Ansteoria ( Oklahoma and majority of Texas) does allow combat slinging on a case by case basis.

Marc Adkins
AKA Lord Wilhelm von Winkleried
14th century Swiss Landowner

Quote:
 Depends on what Kingdom you are in. No Kingdom right now allows the use of slings in combat. At least not yet.
 I am the slinging marshal for Aethelmearc. We have a system set up for target slinging. It's still not well known, but people are gaining interest in it.  The biggest thing I can say is do demos at events. ( space permitting)
 What I like doing is a two tier demo. First, there is pure distanc e and power, where you can just let go and impress people with distance.
 The second is target. I use the coroplast archers targets and golf balls.  I fire off at different distances.
  Hope this helps. What kingdom are you from??  

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2006 at 5:40pm

Cool. How could I find out about that. It would help my drive for sling acceptence up here in the cold frozen north

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2006 at 7:09pm

Let me talk to my regional combat archery marshall. Course it doesn't hurt that he who posted about his combat slinging experiences during gulf wars is now our current crown.

I do know that around here target slinging is considered under the authority of the thrown weapons marshallete. I was trying to figure out who to talk too about teaching a very basic slinging class around my neck of the woods and was directed to them.

Marc Adkins

Quote:
Cool. How could I find out about that. It would help my drive for sling acceptence up here in the cold frozen north

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2006 at 11:18pm

i was with black co. out of oklahoma... i tried sling comp. as well staff sling comps. they didn't get the idea. history is histroy, a sling / staff sling maybe part of a d&d game...however i'm fit for the s.c.a...i'm acutily doing my homework, and not play...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 11:00am

Sounds interesting slingbadger - but then again you go swimming in freezing cold water, so you're clearly not sane :-)
Why an irishman ?
Okay I understand that most americans - for some unknown reason - claim to be irish rather than american.
But if you've got a choice...........
And were the irish known for slingers ?
That I hadn't heard, can't recall any of the irish legends being big on slings. After all this was long before they had potatoes to sling :-)
And of course it begs the question - what did the irish peasant eat before potatoes ?
(you can't tell I'm english can you ? lmao)

Actually on a more general and philosophical note (not so much p*ss taking of the irish). I do find it interesting how involved americans tend to get in renfaires and other anachronistic activities that are primarily europaen based.

When you look at the history of the americas before the europaens bought disease and devastation to it, the level of culture, science and civilisation was much higher and on a par with the middle east and egypt.
When you're living on a continent whose people produced the inca temples and machu pichu, not to mention the lost tribes of plains indians (okay they didn't build or write, but what little is known is damn interesting all the same) - why would you choose to be a comparatively barbaric europaen from the same period ?  
The sling was definitely the primary projectile weapon of the south and central american indians - I suppose due mostly to climate, bows were pretty much limited to the drier north.

So does the sca boast a mayan or aztec section at all ?

I suppose my own personal objection to reenactment would simply be that I would hate to be limited to just one period of history. I would prefer to mix and match :-)
Let's face it what's the point of having all this history if you can't pick the best bits from the best periods and mix them up into one super historical period :-)
Roman armies with japanese steel, lightweight chainmail, english long bows, south american slingers and big axes would be a start :-)

So anybody else up for forming the Alternative SCA (Soceity for Chaotic Anachronism) ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 1:12pm

i like the idea, but romans would never take big axes if they had some sort of short, swift stabbing thingie (gladius).

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #11 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 5:12pm

Curious

First, the SCA does not have an American connection, no New World.
  There have been some Aztec people that have been in the SCA, but they were not officially recognised by the SCA.

As for being Irish, actually my ancestry is Welsh German ( talk about being stubborn)
    I chose the persona I did after reading The Lion of Ireland by Morgan LLewelyn. A great semi historic book on 11th cent. Ireland. Yes, slingers play a major role in many of the battles.
   The Irish were famous for their slingers. The English feared them more than archers.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 11:11am

see now I know you've got to be wrong. Back in the 1100's most of the 'english' army was normans, froggies, french people and mercenaries :-)
And obviously they'd be scared of the irish, but not the english !
We're not scared of anyone (honest :-)
was this book written by an irish bloke ?

But I rest my point about no american born person ever laying claim to That particular heritage - what are you all ashamed of ?
Your country has been going long enough to have some history (not the proper stuff but the new fangled under-a-millenium history) so why not be proud of it.

The romans wouldn't have had big axes - I want them (see the several 'I can swing a big axe' topics :-)
That's the whole point of chaotic anachronism, you pick the bits you like :-)

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #13 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 9:14pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1164238994/0#9 date=1164556816]Sounds interesting slingbadger - but then again you go swimming in freezing cold water, so you're clearly not sane :-)
Why an irishman ?
Okay I understand that most americans - for some unknown reason - claim to be irish rather than american.
But if you've got a choice...........
And were the irish known for slingers ?
That I hadn't heard, can't recall any of the irish legends being big on slings. After all this was long before they had potatoes to sling :-)
And of course it begs the question - what did the irish peasant eat before potatoes ?
(you can't tell I'm english can you ? lmao)

Actually on a more general and philosophical note (not so much p*ss taking of the irish). I do find it interesting how involved americans tend to get in renfaires and other anachronistic activities that are primarily europaen based.

When you look at the history of the americas before the europaens bought disease and devastation to it, the level of culture, science and civilisation was much higher and on a par with the middle east and egypt.
When you're living on a continent whose people produced the inca temples and machu pichu, not to mention the lost tribes of plains indians (okay they didn't build or write, but what little is known is damn interesting all the same) - why would you choose to be a comparatively barbaric europaen from the same  ?  
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Every Native American Tribe had some form of writing, whether it be the Codex of the Mayans/Aztecs or the pictographs of the various plains Tribes. Also, many of the plains tribes built large structures. Just because they didn't survive, doesn't mean they wern't built. Check your history better or we will feed you to the Irish :)                                                                                                                  

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #14 - Nov 29th, 2006 at 8:04am

I'm talking about the Irish in the 11th cent.  Look in the History and Topography of Ireland, by Gerald of Wales.
  Also, in the Expungnation Hibernia, it states that the English archers were the only ones that could even come close to the slingers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)