Hair slings (Read 12765 times)
don1
Descens

Take that, you scoundrel!
(at dog pooping on grass

Valhalla
Re: Hair slings
Reply #30 - Mar 3rd, 2007 at 4:36am

BC Sgt:  Alright men, grab your slings, Alexanders on the march!

BC Troop w/blond hair sling: But, Sarge, I've just washed my sling and I can't do a dang thing with it!

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn? --Jane Austen

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #31 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 10:11pm

I just saw a segment on the new Ripleys "believe it not". They interviewed a barber that saves all of hair that he cuts every days worth. Then he spins it like wool and is actually selling clothes made from the stuff at high end department stores. Most customers assume its wool. He even seperates all the colors.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #32 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 10:40pm

Back in Victorian times it was quite common to make all sorts of keepsakes out of the hair of a deceased loved one. The most common items were watch fobs, and small broaches. They were referred to as "memento
mori". Tongue

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #33 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 2:21am

This is is the thread that my make your hair rise. Cheesy

Sorry, could not resist.

If you don't like this reply, lets not split any hairs about it. Cheesy

Sorry again

Moderator, there is a hair in my post. (thats lame)

Now I won't do it again, promise.

Coenie

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #34 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 7:10am

yeah yeah all that - but what's wrong with the ruler ????????????????????

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #35 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 9:41am

Sorry it has taken so long to reply to the questions and comments, life has kept me away from the pc for all but brief moments.

So thanks Willkie, I'd heard about the poor selling hair but didn't know that was why those caps were made that way.  People still do sell hair for wig making, I enquired about this a few years ago and found out that wig makers don't like hair from western cultures due to the use of hair products.  As it happens I was lucky there as 17/18 years ago I was losing mine ( not male pattern but alepecia ) and it wasn't disease, diet or stress.  So after trying various potions I just stopped using anything but water on my hair.  In a couple of weeks the third of my scalp which had been bald was covered in small hairs.   Dandruff and split ends , which had been lifelong conditions vanished at the same time, nor, after the first month, has my hair ever been too greasy or too dry ( previously it was one or the other most of the time).  Personal opinion is that hair products are a scam, if you've used one recently and want ok looking hair tomorrow you have to use it again.  Might be a lot of money in a counter scam if one was dishonest: sell pure water in bottles, say on the label that one must use nothing else for a month except ( if a few days of being too greasy is too much to cope with ) a bit of plain talcum powder to soak it up which is then brushed and rinsed out,  and a lot of brushing if it is too dry.  In a couple of months one would have hundreds of testimonials from delighted customers.  I don't know if whether hair is treated or not makes much difference to it's strength for slings, a hair dresser told me that what most treatments do is strip out the natural grease and then coat it in plastic, may even be better for all I know.  If it works for the spinning jumper making barber it would probably work for slings.

For pet owners dog hair looks like a good alternative anyway, there is a thread on this site with a link about it http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1142703081/10#10. ; Here in the UK this is the time most dogs are moulting.  As to how long the hairs have to be Wanderer I've found various answers in various places, other people on this site could give a better answer than I can.  However as far as actually putting the thing together goes not very long at all.  Spinning is such an ancient and continuous tradition that it is full of terminology, wouldn't be surprised to find words related to spinning mammoth hair sometime.  One of these terms may help answer your question.  When spinning the bit from the top of the stuff you have twisted to the bit where  the fibres have been drawn out but are not yet twisted,  the place where the fibres combine would be another way of saying it, is called the drafting zone or cone ( for me it wasn't a cone but  flattened ).  I think that one would have to be very skilled to use fibers longer than the drafting zone with a drop spindle.  ( I'm sure it could be done though either with skill or cleverly designed equipment).  I'd guess no shorter than that would give a desirable minimum, so can't say in units of length as it would depend on dexterity.  Another factor is probably how many turns a fibre has in a given twist, too few and it may spring out. 

The Victorian were a strange bunch in some ways, their melodramas were nearly as simplified, predictable and emotionally extreme as our own TV/film fiction but for them grief, sorrow, frustrated undying love and bereavement were the big hits rather than anger lust and ego pumping fantasies, perhaps it was something to do with the Queens perpetual mourning after the death of Albert.  I've seen some of those memento mori and it is odd.  To some extent deep mourning was a fashion.  D G Rossetti wrote some poems for his sister, Christina, when she died and put the only copies in her coffin as they were for her alone.  A few years later he had her exhumed to get them back.  I don't recommend graveyards as a source for hair, that really would be yerrrhhgh.

Ah the ruler, well it is an old school ruler, one can also make out the name of the a band we were into at the time, it was all I had to hand when I took the photo,  couldn't use the other side of it as it has names scrawled over it.  Truth is I can't remember... but you can't have a ruler without rules so don't worry about it, in the great scheme of slings it's neither hair nor there. 

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #36 - Mar 19th, 2007 at 5:26pm

talk about dodging the issue lol
I'll go to my grave forever wondering why you can't draw lines with that ruler :-(

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #37 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 7:36am

It's worse for me curious, Whatever happened I must have been there....involved.  Yet I have no memory of it  Shocked   What happend with that ruler?  It must have been so dreadful that I blocked it out.

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #38 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 10:14pm

Hey Stringman, I saw that human hair sling you made. Great job, but

I think you need some conditioner for that thing. Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #39 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 7:33am

lol
Well hair is supposed to keep growing after death. Maybe the sling will too lol

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #40 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 9:02pm

"THE SLING THAT REFUSED TO DIE!!!" Grin Grin

John Walker  
IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #41 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 9:49pm

It might be true Undecided  I've noticed something about it.  It moves.  It may be because hair has a lot of spring of course which is why it has that spider leg look.  But figure of eight knots at the end of the releace loosen themselves, once even untied altogether.  Not when I'm slinging, I could understand that .....but quietly overnight. Shocked  Seeing as how that happens it is odd that the sheepshanks, not knots remowned for their secure qualities, don't.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #42 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 9:08pm

Hmmmmmmmm.............. Huh

John Walker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick)