Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hair slings (Read 12770 times)
bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Hair slings
Nov 16th, 2006 at 5:15am

We have all seen slings made out of many different materials, but nobody seems to have made one out of braided hair as of yet. Has anyone tried this? How did it work out?

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Hair slings
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2006 at 10:10am

I know that hair was used in the Greek and Roman times as sling material. Blonde hair was supposed to be best. ( Siguy, you and you brother better look out)
  Hair does respond to temp and humidity, but it is of little consequence.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

cipher20
Tiro

NJ, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2006 at 11:04am

Peruvian slings are traditionally made from spun alpaca or llama hair.  I have spun dog hair (Cheangora) into yarn, but I haven't made enough of it to braid a sling out of.  I have access to plenty of horse hair, but that would be just as time consuming to collect and spin.  As far as human hair is concerned, I haven't seen or heard of anyone using that medium.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2006 at 8:36pm

I had plenty of horse hair braided slings that i brought through ebay a while back and I traded them on the site with other members.  They work great!

Here is a link:

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=trade;action=display;num=1144...

I have traded them all away though.  It turns out my family is allergic to horse hair. Cry

I think human hair would work even better due to its length and choice of colour!  I personally prefer red hair. Grin

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2006 at 9:15pm

No Mongol blood in your background eh Tint? That sounds like it would make a great Monty Python Sketch.... A family of Mongolian Warriors who were allergic to horses! Grin Grin...................Where did we put those coconuts?????? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 3:32pm

Also, for torsion catapults, ( onanger and others) hair was used for the rope that powered the thing. I have this image of all these bald people around, though.
  As anyone who has done weaving and ropemaking knows, you need a alot of the material to make it work. I can't imagine how much hair would have been required to do the job.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 5:42pm

it's funny you mention my brother and i.  we both have short hair now.  my hair is only at my shoulders, which is longer than the last pic you saw of my, but it is still short.  my brother's hair was cut a few weeks ago and is just at the ear lobes (he donated to locks of love, a foundation that makes wigs for kids that have cancer)

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 7:19pm

Bigkahuna,

The funny thing is I DO have Mongol blood in me! Shocked  My grandma from my mother's side is half mongolian.  Is must be from my dad's genes that we are allergic.

Monty Python material indeed Grin.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2006 at 11:35am

It's a start, Siguy. Someday you may wake up bald.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #9 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 9:02pm

Big cloud of dust off in the distance getting closer. Fleeing townspeople wheeling carts full of their belongings and pulling donkies and cattle along. Children crying and people running everywhere screaming " THE MONGOLS ARE COMING, THE MONGOLS ARE COMING". The dust cloud grows closer and you hear the thunder of many horses. The dust cloud grows nearer and finally comes to a stop at the edge of the village. It takes several minutes for the dust cloud to clear and when it does we see hundreds of Mongol Warriors in full battle array on foot banging coconut shells together, the minions of the dreaded Lo Family, who because of an allergy to horse hair can't ride horses but simulate the sound with coconut shells which make using their dreaded Mongolian bows very difficult. Grin

John Walker  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #10 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 9:26pm

That's exactly how my family did it!  And we ruled half the world Grin

Why aren't you on the chat BK?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #11 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 10:42pm

I can't get on ,I'm at work!!! Tongue

John Walker  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #12 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 10:48pm

[quote author=Tint link=board=1;num=1163672144;start=10#10 date=11/19/06 at 21:26:50]That's exactly how my family did it!  And we ruled half the world Grin

Well it must have been the tropical half, what with coconuts and all.

John Walker  
IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 10:14pm

Coconuts?  Nah ask any invading mongel with a horse hair allergy whether he would prefer coconut halves or a shaved horse and the horse gets cold every time.  That's how they got round the great wall, people fled before the sneezing as they were afraid of catching it.
As to hair slings I haven't made one yet but have been saving up my own combings,  it's been a few months but I think I may have enough for a very simple split sling, not even a braided one just like two strings,  but am waiting untill I have more cordage skill as it takes so long to collect.  I twisted a litttle of it up and it is really strong, something the thickness of the jute garden twine would cut your finger open before it broke.  I have read somewhere ( sorry can't remember the source ) that human hair has the same tensile strength of aluminimum.

I'm a novice on the craft side of things so if anyone has a suggestion for a material I can practice on before using the slow to replace stuff I'd be grateful, horse hair is much thicker.

It's not that slow though, you'd be amazed how much falls out each day when you save it up.  I'm only keeping the stuff from the hair brush but if I could work out a way of cleaning the stuff from the vacume cleaners brush I could probably get as much again.  My own hair is medium long and my guess is I could make a braided sling a year   Quite like the idea of slinging with something made totally from my own body, ok so I'm weird, but with the help of friends and familly collecting wouldn't take long at all.    Some of the ancients thought it the best material of the lot.  Worth doing and can't complain about the price.

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #14 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 7:21pm

isn't tech a wool sling a hair sling?

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15)