Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sling components (Read 1963 times)
person3

maryland
sling components
Nov 15th, 2006 at 4:58pm

What components for a sling would work best that would be easily avalible to a high school student?
I am working on a school contest and i was put in charge of making slings for a trebuchet. i was appionted to that position after I mentioned an unforchanite incedent involving a crappy duct tape sling and a metal trailer, wich ended up with a large hole.

"you have to be a little bit skeptical or else you'll start believing in things like UFOs or elves or income tax rebates."-Monk&&
rocket idiot  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: sling components
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 5:08pm

Cheap string, but braided with several strands to improve the strength.

If used right, duckt tape makes a sturdy pouch, but for a trebuchet you might be better of using (fake) leather.
To get free or cheap leather, find a chair to skin, or a bigger piece of furniture.
Often found at the side of the street on rubbish days, sometimes send to recycle centres, where they are thrown out when the leather is slightly damaged.

Or find a friend / family member who is going to trash an old leather bag, coat or set of female boots, the kind that come up to the knee.

Willeke

PS. For more info read this thread,
http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11354539...
and follow the link in reply 21
http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11354539...

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 11:20pm

My very first sling was made from two boot laces and a piece of an old glove. My next was braided from parachute cord. Both work great, and are easily accessible.
The braided one looks way better though, and when you try it honestly making a braided sling is not that hard. An hour or three at most.

Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 12:58pm

actually if you're making a trebuchet - I'd try and fit the pouch to the ammo you are intending to use. So it need not be a fabric pouch at all. Could be a cut up tin or box of some kind.

Or is that just not going to work ? (someone will tell me :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 2:07pm

Yeah, what are you going to pitch with your treb??  Bowling balls??  Watermelons??  Small cars??  Old washingmachines??  I've seen videos of all these being pitched.  Fun!!  What size and weight??

If you pitch big objects, you'll probably end up using heavy rope for pocket and strings, and be doing a lot of splicing to put it all together.

A quick hand-sling can be made of parachute cord or similar, plus tape, webbing, or leather for the pouch.

IP Logged

person3

maryland
Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 12:03pm

bean bags

"you have to be a little bit skeptical or else you'll start believing in things like UFOs or elves or income tax rebates."-Monk&&
rocket idiot  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 4:03pm

A solid pouch, or a netted one I would say.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 8:32pm

Lightweight hemp string woven together could be used for the cords. Canvas could be used for the pouch. Check out the Grey Company Trebuchet page.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, Rat Man)