My Finished Atlatl (Read 4112 times)
Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
My Finished Atlatl
Nov 13th, 2006 at 10:31pm

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o155/SlingMasta/MyAtlatl.jpg

This (if it works) is my finished atlatl.  Cheesy
I like it lots and am still learning how to throw the darts with it...hehe but its fun nonetheless!!!

Edit: It's also about 22in long.

IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Re: My Finished Atlatl
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 10:39pm

It looks very good, and very well made.  I don't have much experience with good atlatls, the darts I made were too stiff, so they had no real advantage over hand thrown ones.  A good dart makes all the difference from what I hear, probably even more than a good atlatl.  So what is that that you used for the barb/hook?  I can't tell in the picture.  What are you using for darts?

paracord sling tutorial thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196026630
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 11:15pm

Looks beatiful.

Any details on type of wood etc....?

And is that a shaped and polished nail for the spur?

I don't know how familiar you are with the atlatl and darts, but just a thought would be to really thin down that mid section for two reasons A) flex B) Much more importantly, it'll be a lot ligther, and let a lot more energy go to the dart. Whatever works for you though, good job Smiley

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 5:53am

cool stuff, houndog!

let us know how it works!

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 2:14pm

that is really beautiful.  i especially like the dart rest, saves alot of work for the hand, and it is easier to operate for beginers.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 5:15pm

Thx all! I did put lots of work into it and hope it lasts long.
Cliff- ya from what i hear/read, river cane makes a good dart. but unfortunately there is none of that where i live... Sad

CanDo- we have no real trees and such around here so my dad bought me a 6ft. long piece of hardwood (not sure what kind tho) from that piece of hardwood i was able to cut 3, 2ft long pieces for making atlatls (that means 2 more to go!!! lol) and also enough wood to make 2 darts.  The darts are quite flexible and are more square than round...but they work fine. Also, yes the spur is a chopped of nail that i pounded (with a starter hole) into the wood and rounded off. And thx for the tips, ill try that on my next one, whenever that is.

Tint- So far it works fine, but i am not the strongest guy on the forum  Tongue and i cant get much range out of it...but a whole lot more than hand throwing it!

Siguy- Actually i rarely use the dart rest, my bony (lol) knuckles stick up beyond that and interfere with the dart so i just hold it.

The layout/design is modeled after this one:
http://www.thunderbirdatlatl.com/catalog/catalog.html

Ill post more pics of the darts and stuff in another post.

Hound

Edit: I just tried the link that i posted and it only goes to the main catelog page.
The atlatl design is the Wappasening

IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 5:30pm

Here are some pics of the dart itself.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o155/SlingMasta/AtlatlDartFletching.jpg
This one is the fletching of the dart, i think it is a bit small for the size/length of the dart but it seems to work ok. the feathers are plastic ones bought at wal-mart.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o155/SlingMasta/AtlatlDartTip.jpg
This is the tip of the dart, my dad put this on while i was at school and it really seems to help. 1. It takes the impact of the blow. and 2. It makes the dart a bit hevier, which is nice since it is quite light originally, and i prefer to throw somthing that i can feel the weight of.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o155/SlingMasta/AtlatlDart.jpg
And this is the dart itself, although the tip is not shown. the dart is 6 ft tall and very flexible. also square...lol

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 12:35am

looks pretty awsome ive never thought about making one out of a board before  Tongue

IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 8:02pm

You obviously have trees where you live... Tongue LOL LUCKY! Grin

IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #9 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 11:39pm

I know nothing, but I wonder if bamboo would work for the dart? You can get it really long, thin and it is strong but flexible....
The Atlatl look beautiful though, you must have worked you ass of on it. Good Job.

Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2006 at 12:03am

Thx Lupis!
yes it did take a while to make but it is worth it.
Ya anything from the bamboo family should work well. rivercane and that stuff.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 1:04pm

very smart - so how far can you throw the dart then ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #12 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 5:47pm

ATM maybe around 100 yards...not all as far as i wished but im quite skinny anyway  Grin if i practice enough i will hopfully make the dart go farther. but ill see....lol

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 12:23pm

100 yards is pretty good - you'd probably only get 20-30 throwing by hand and that's what you're comparing it to.
plus bear in mind most hunting would be done at less than 20 yards so at that distance the thing would have some real power.
Good work all round I reckon :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

FYI
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 2:33am

thats good, but make the next one about the leanght from the tip of your midle fingger to your elbow. from what I read this is perfect leanth, and then compare the two. with one about 18 inches long, I can put 5 shots in a pie plate at 30 yards, and at 45 yards I can stick it 3/4 of an inch into a redwood. the shorter one has less power, but you will find you can ame, which is exteremely usefull in a hunting envirement! Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner)