Send Topic Print
selling slings (Read 3133 times)
siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
selling slings
Nov 12th, 2006 at 12:56pm

i have an opportunity to sell some slings this coming weekend at my uncle's tag sale that he is having on saturday.  basically, i will be hanging out all day taking money and trying to stop the bargaining.  so, i figure that while i am there, i might as well take some slings and see if i can manage to sell a couple and raise interest for the sport.  i will also have a packet with all of the slinging styles articles copied and pasted from the articles section of this site (all credit given) and a nice hearty disclaimer.  i will mostly have my traditional slings, but i may make up some new-age nylon and webbing slings in my spare time this week.

any suggestions are welcome.  i just wanted to let you guys know.

ps; realistically, i doubt that there will be much if any interest simply because most people attending this sale will be middle age people looking for a bargain, not people interested in this sort of thing.  i may get lucky though...

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Re: selling slings
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2006 at 1:14pm

i think you probably wouldnt be offered more than like a dollar or two  Angry

good luck though

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2006 at 1:40pm

I bet a maille sling pouch would get some good money. I've made a small patch of maille just by bending some wire around a rod and then cutting it. It was confusing at first, but the article here is helpful: http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=4041
They say to use copper and silver, but plain mild steel works just fine. Putting the rings together takes a little time, but it's good in front of the TV. Seinfeld's usually on on weekdays :).

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2006 at 11:18pm

Godd luck siguy!  take some pictures for us.

If you can manage to play a video of the sling in action you might capture a few more interested passing-bys! Wink

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 2:43pm

i may have the opportunity to demonstrate in person, but it will depend on the setup.

sadly, my camera is broken still.  it will be nothing impressive anyways, just a table with some standard slings

IP Logged

A_C

New York
Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 9:38pm

I've sold a couple of my own slings for $5 along with some basic instruction. Not that I'm much good, but it's amusement.

IP Logged

Hammilton
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 11:50am

I really really like the idea of a maille pouch. Even better: E4N1 pouch with a byzantine-style thongs.  Man, that'd be pretty sweet.

I could easily make one, but would anyone actually want it? I dunno.  It'd be dang expensive too, depending on what it was made from.  Silver I'd guess at least 100 bucks, copper 40.  I don't think you'd hardly cover labor at those prices, either.

I really want to create a Roman-soldier maille hauberk. I suppose hauberk isn't the right word here, but I don't have a better one for that style.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 7:29am

right chainmail - or mail to everyone else.
So why the extra l and e ?

I do beleive douglas the black made a chain mail sling to throw his infamous fireballs from.
In the end it was made from those thingies you get on keychains interlinked, cheap reliable and strong and no pliers to use :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 9:36am

[quote author=curious_aardvark  link=1163354185/0#7 date=1163593792]
I do beleive douglas the black made a chain mail sling to throw his infamous fireballs from.
In the end it was made from those thingies you get on keychains interlinked, cheap reliable and strong and no pliers to use :-) [/quote]

actually i think it was tito who Orderd the rings to make the sling but nevergot around to making it since the store had lost his order :-/

Taiki  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #9 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 7:22pm

Altay had one as well...

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #10 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 10:16pm

Hmm... Depending on how good they look and how good you can 'make them look' Wink  I would guess anywhere from $5-10

I know I am a bit late on this but I haven't posted in a while and just wanted to put my oppinion in.

If I didn't love my sling so much I would have sold it last week, I was out in the park slinging and i started talking to someone about it, he offered me $20 for the sling  Shocked

Unfortunately i love it just too much Smiley

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 5:35pm

yeah, the tag sale was cancelled because of weather, but we are going to try to put it on in the next couple of weeks

IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #12 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 7:31pm

I think that you could do ok with that.  Looks would be more important than funtion when people who don't know about slinging are buying, other way around later of course.  Using differant colours in braided slings can look good, be cheap,  and is fairly quick to do but I'm not sure if total newbies would feel confident about a split pocket.  Another thing that might help to sell them might be to include some fancy glands, tumble polished pretty rocks or painted baked clay or pebbles.  From what you say of the potential buyers it's likely that they will be buying thinking of them as ornimental.  Of course there is no knowing what their kids back home will do when they find them, especially if you include some printout with a few glamourous facts like world record ranges, Alexanders requirements for slinging competance, a few historical stories  etc  I hope it goes well.

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)