Send Topic Print
new launch (Read 3413 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
new launch
Nov 12th, 2006 at 10:56am

I don't know if this is a new launch to anyone, but it's new to me. I will try to describe it.
  I hold the sling, loaded, across my chest. The left hand holds the pouch against the side of my body.
   To launch, I simpy release the pouch, then swing the pouch around across my body. When I release the stone, it flies straight, or sometimes at a slight curve.
  I have found this good for target shooting, as the stone flies pretty straight. Not much for power, though, at least not yet.
  Does this make sense to anyone???

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Re: new launch
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2006 at 11:00am

i dont understand it...
???
power will come...Tongue

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2006 at 12:20pm

sounds like the reverse throw, or more commonly the frisbee throw.  basically you throw like you would a frisbee

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2006 at 12:31pm

that makes sense Cheesy well that sounds like a great idea, ill give it a try

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2006 at 1:18pm

im gona try that later on and hopefully i wont hit any cars lmao

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2006 at 1:21pm

Slingbadger,

I just tried to duplicate the style you describe, and it was not very successful.  I suspect I'm not doing it the way you do.  So, let me try to clarify my understanding.  You are standing sideways to your target?  Your left hand is holding the pouch and rock against your ribs? And your right arm is holding the cords taut?  Are the cords also near your body, or is your right hand out in front of you?  Do you use your arm alone to move the sling, or do you twist your body to add some more power?  When you release, do you just pull the pouch out of your left hand, or do you toss it away from you?

This does sound rather like the backhand or frisbee style.  I do the frisbee style backwards to what you describe (or at least, to how I read your description):  my left hand with the pouch is out away from my body, and my right hand is almost touching my ribs on the left side.  Then twist to the left, let go the pouch, and whip my right arm out and to the right as I twist to the right.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 3:10pm

I am standing, facing the target straight on. The sling is held next to my body. When I launch, the sling swings around in an arc. Then I just release. As has been pointed out, it is like throwing a frisbee that is close to the body.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 3:12pm

I use the short sling on this, so my right hand is across my body. I do twist my body just a little.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 4:10pm

Hmm, OK.  Facing the target, short sling.  I was standing right shoulder to the target, but I was using a short sling.  I'll try again when next I go out, and see how it works.

Thanks, Slingbadger!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Reply #9 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 7:16am

cool style, now I can reach my pocket or bag with left hand for stone while sling returns Grin woohoo... rapid fire rules Tongue
now I can cast every 3-5 secs, just will have to work on accuracy with this one
I even mastered to crack my sling with this style - not as luod as other styles, but still... it cracks Cheesy

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #10 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 10:11am

So, I guess the question is-- is this an new style, or a variation on an old one. I do find it hard to believe that there can still be new styles being discovered.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #11 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 11:41am

I read a very brief description of slinging 'across the chest' somewhere, and it is associated in my mind with (Polynesian?) islanders. I was reminded of that when I saw this thread.

I have a feeling the document was a historic account on this site somewhere, but I'm darned if I can find it for the moment.

IP Logged

Hammilton
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #12 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 11:54am

I can come up with tons of new ways of slinging.  Will they suck completely, sure!  lol. I guess the likelihood of previous discovery drops exponentially to the "suck factor"

There could still be some really good ones out there though they're likely to be variants on previous methods.  I'm practicing a new method of the figure 8- but the suck factors pretty high right now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man)