Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sling string (Read 3676 times)
buger

I love Slinging.org!

sling string
Nov 8th, 2006 at 8:59pm

when i try to practise with my sling,i hit the target but the strings get tangled every time,the the same width and lenth,whats the problem you think

IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Re: sling string
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 7:41am

I guess your release knot or whole cord is a bit heavy.
If knot, then try it smaller (like Matthew Walker if sling is multistrand) and if whole cord, then try tying something on release cord near puoch (i.e. another knot or just few rounds with tape).

I used to have the same problem (just not so big, it happened sometimes... but happened...) with my braided nylon slings, but now I braid all my release cords like whips, so they don't tangle at all

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 1:06pm

You also might be trying too hard. This happened to me alot when I first started. The strings would tangle because of the excess energy still left in them. Then I learned that you don't have to throw like Godzilla to do the job. The sling does it for you. Try lighter throws. If the stone falls short, try a little stronger. Eventually you'll get it just right.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:50pm

Is the string thicker or thinner than a shoelace?  If it's about as thick as a round shoelace, then the string's probably good.
I'm guessing that the problem is that the string is too thin, but that is the opposite of what JustKnot said, so I may be wring.  The best string in my opinion is para-cord, and I know that many other people here use it too.  It's like $3-6 at an army surplus store for about 50 feet of it.  If buying that's a problem, then shoelaces would probably work too.  If the string isn't the problem, then I have no idea what it could be.

paracord sling tutorial thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196026630
IP Logged

buger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 8:35pm

a strip of army surplus fatigues my cousin gave me,it about 1\5 inches thich,i twistd it so it became cord,is this good or should i change strings

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 4:21pm

Buger,
If you are still getting the same problems after you have tried the tips we gave you here, try different strings on you sling. If you have them, boots strings (shoelaces for boots) make perfect sling strings. And after trying them for the sling you can still use them in your boots.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

invisiblejules
Tiro

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 4:42pm

I believe the problem might be that your strings are made from twisted rather than braided material, as I had problems like this with my first sling. Paracord or round shoelaces are braided, so those should work well on their own. Otherwise, you can braid cords from twisted cords yourself, and that should also take care of the problem.

IP Logged

Hammilton
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 8:32pm

In my slings I almost exclusively use the same material for sling string.  I dunno if it has a name, but it's just twisted white string, commonly used by... people.. for making straight lines and... stuff. I think you'd find it at any hardware store.  It comes in balls, the biggest I've seen was about the size of a baseball, and one lasts quite a while.  I just finished off my second one in five years.

I DON'T use it simply like that, however.  I always triple braid it, sometimes if I'm in the mood for a challenge I do a four strand braid. I've done a couple 8-strands with it, but it's not a good choice in my opinion for that kind of work.  It's not worth the time unless you're going to be lobbing four pound bricks from giant slings, IMHO.

Hammilton

IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #8 - Nov 11th, 2006 at 12:37am

Hammilton -  I think that may be Mason's twine / Mason's seine / Seine twine.  The first two names seem to be the most common.  I use it too, and I think it was mentioned in one or two of the sling making articles.  But the Mason's seine I have came in a cylinder shaped roll, and so do most that I've seen, so maybe it's not what you're using.  It is pretty effective braided (I made one, it's somewhat whip shaped, but not too loud), but it's a little hard to braid, it's too slippery.  That's just me of course, I don't braid well at all.

paracord sling tutorial thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196026630
IP Logged

Hammilton
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #9 - Nov 11th, 2006 at 10:58am

I don't think it's the same stuff then; I would never call this stuff 'twine'- I'll see if I can google it.

No, this is cotton, Mason Twine is made out of nylon (I only know because I just looked).  It's just called "cotton string" and sometimes "white cotton string on ball"

You can find it here: http://www.cleansweepsupply.com/pages/skugroup11926.html

I wouldn't use it plain, though, I'd always have it at least triple-strand braided.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Nov 11th, 2006 at 11:06am

Mason string comes in natural and man-made fibres, under many different names and in many differend ways of packaging. All of them will work for slings if combined in enough strands to carry the forces of slinging.

If you get cotton twine use it, but if it is nylon they sell near you, you can also use it.
If it is real thin and slippery, twist a few strands together before braiding.

If you can get neither or do not want to do the braiding, use shoelaces (shoestrings.)

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker)