Send Topic Print
New Canadian (Read 25856 times)
lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
New Canadian
Nov 7th, 2006 at 10:41pm

Hey everybody. I am glad to have found this site. I am honored to be a member of singing.org. I like choral music and modern voice art....oh yea, and throwing stuff far far away Wink

Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: New Canadian
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 1:47am

Welcome, Lupis!  Always glad to have another slinger in the forum.

You like vocal music?  Have you ever heard of khoomei?

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 7:13am

Hi, eh!

I love Canadians.  The Tragically Hips are one of my all time favourite bands.

What's modern voice arts? ???  I don't think we get those over here in asia.

IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 2:57pm

Oh hah ah! I was just listening to various throat singing and khoomei bands and get this lucky thread!

Welcome my Canadian friend! Shocked Grin

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 3:27pm

welcome to the boards.  i hope you enjoy the great world of slinging.

have you tried slinging yet?
if the answer to this question is yes, go on.  if the answer is no, stop reading here Grin

what style of throwing and sort of sling do you use?

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 7:21pm

Lupis,

Subtle, my friend.  Very subtle.  I did not even realize you had put one over on me until Siguy clued me in.  You've just been waiting to see who got it.  "Singing.org" indeed!

Hey, Bjärn, you know about throat-singing?  Have you tried doing it?  I learned about it through a web site called "Interesting Thing of the Day", which had an article on khoomei on 14 March 2005.  I've tried it and I can get recognizable tunes out, sometimes. 

Dale (the wanna-be human bagpipe)

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Charles_I
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 8:00pm

Welcome my northern neighbor friend!

IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 10:39pm

Thanks for your kind welcome.
I have done enough slinging that my wife makes fun of me every time I go out to "throw rocks".
I made a (few) three strand woven sling(s) following instructions on this site by Victor Escobar. I had to make a bunch before I figured out how everything worked, and what worked best for me. I use the classic 'spinny over your head kind of sideways' throw. I can get distance with no problems, but I am having a bit of trouble with my accuracy. More practice is in order I think.

Congratulations to Dale who is the only one so far to get my joke...s(L)inging.org, vocal arts...It was kinda funny...Oh well.... Grin

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 3:33pm

Welcome Lupis,
If you have read a bit on the site you have seen that bad spelling seems the norm rather than the exception.
And there is even a thread about dyslexia, because so many here seem to have it. (I started that one so I know it is there.)

Being dyslectic as excuse (poor one though), I did not even notice the missing L.

Are your braiding skills improving too?

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 10:22pm

You got me BIGTIME Grin!

We should come up with a musical "Slinging in the rain".

IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 11:15pm

'Slinging in the Rain' that's good. I have enough of it where I am so it is appropriate.
I am getting quite happy with my braiding, after the first few monstrosities I made...I am having quite a bit of fun slinging, I read about some large slings to throw BIG rocks, so I made one of those too. Used a big hunk of horsehide for the pouch and some old climbing rope for the other part. I was throwing rocks the size of five pin bowling balls. Very cool, but then I let one go a bit sideways and frightened myself, so I figure I need a safer area away from civilization to do that safely...I don't think there are a lot of other slingers in my neck of the woods so pretty much everything I do is trial and error from info I get here...Any general advice?

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #11 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 11:31pm

Rain slinging eh lupis? Not good old wet coast rain is it? It stopped here for a few hours, but it's back at it today, and I nearly didn't make it out of a particularily deep "puddle" on the way home (city drivers don't seem to understand that you don't stop halfway through...)

Matthias

IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #12 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 11:38pm

You bet, Vancouver rain is the best there is! I almost got lost on my way to work this morning it was coming down so hard.
I guess I am going to have to suck it up if I want to throw rocks sometime before next April. At least it never gets really cold here....

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #13 - Nov 11th, 2006 at 12:24am

Well then... that makes 3 maybe 4 of us. One more and we'll be in contention for the "densest slinger" award. No - wait... that doesn't sound right. "Most slingers per capita" Wink

Good show! Welcome to slinging.org.

Matthias

IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #14 - Nov 11th, 2006 at 12:44pm

Im going to practise khöömei Slinging in the Rain.
Matthias, that Holly girl that joined here is Canadian too and she comes from my area! We rock!

Dale, try this: http://www.busker-kibbutznik.org/khoomei/HOW-TO/crashcourse.html

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)