Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Timing Timing Timing (Read 2312 times)
mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Timing Timing Timing
Nov 7th, 2006 at 7:50pm

I sling in the esteemed nwmanitou fig8 overhand style.  Aiming with this style is intuitive inasmuch as the delivery is just a big "overhand baseball pitch".  This is one of it's big advantages, and why I much recommend this style.

I find that if my aim is off, it's NOT my aim.  It's my timing.  A shot rushed just ever-so-slightly will "hook" every time.

A shot timed right will go pretty much where I want it to go in azimuth.  Elevation is another problem.

This is an FYI for slingsters suffering accuracy frustration.  Hope it helps.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Re: Timing Timing Timing
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 9:21pm

Hmm.. I am attempting to master the figure-8 and find this interesting.

I'm hampered by not having pitched baseball at any level  Sad, so I don't have the feel of it already learnt, but are you saying that the slingshot should go in the same direction as the ball would go were you to be throwing one with the same action?

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 7:44pm

Wanderer,

Have you played tennis?  A slinger, using the figure-8 style, looks even more like a tennis player serving the ball, than like a pitcher throwing a baseball.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 7:49pm

Mgreenfield,

You say the stone (or ball) hooks?  Like a curveball?  Sounds like your sling has twisted, so that you get a side-spin.

I think (especially after looking at Tito's beautiful photograph in the mountains) that all slings twist, and the best shots have the swing and the twist coordinated so that the pouch is oriented correctly at the moment of release.

As you said: Timing, timing, timing!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 8:04pm

Timing is perhaps the most critical aspect of accuracy slinging. I would add that the ancients were on to something by their choice of smooth, spherical ammo for accuracy exercise.  Smooth round stones (or other spherical ammo) as per the David/Goliath account, are the order of the day when slinging for accuracy.  
    Also, their choice of heavier ammo helped compensate for the slower velocities necessitated by accuracy exercise as compared to distance slinging. This also enhanced accuracy by increasing force feedback to a level similar to that of the smaller, lighter ammo during distance slinging.  
    Simply put, smooth, spherical ammo practically eliminates the consideration of sling torque and pocket alignment issues as these are incorporated naturally into the learning curve.

TS

P.S. hey, I made a pun!

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 12:30am

Dale, the tennis serve (an analogy I remember now I have seen on this site) helps. To me that seems to mean reaching higher than with a pitch. Is that the general idea?

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:56pm

Wanderer,

I pitched baseball when I was a kid, and I have played tennis and racquetball (serving is similar in both sports).  Pitching a baseball does have the arm bent a bit, while serving a tennis or racquet ball keeps the arm straight (assuming I'm doing it right -- any comments, Tint?).  When I do a figure-8, my arm is straight.

So yes, I believe that you should be reaching higher when doing the figure-8.
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2006 at 3:49pm by Dale »  

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 7:12pm

Dale, ....the shot doesnt really do a curving hook like a poor golf shot.  It simply goes straight but the aim is off in the "hook direction".

Using the terms "hook" and "slice" is better because it lets BOTH left and right-handed slingers instantly know the direction described relative to the slinging hand.    

FYI, I'm left-handed.

And, yes, in my opinion the nwmanitou fig8 style with a full tennis-serve delivery at the end is the ultimate in slinging effectiveness; combining flat trajectory, huge range, and best possible accuracy.

Close grip for round ammo and accuracy.  Wide grip for ellipsoid ammo and range.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 9:59pm

Mgreenfield,

I was just looking up your comments on knots and other pouch irregularities ... I have just seen a
pouch design by Hammilton
that deliberately puts bumps on either side of the pouch.  I'm going to have to try that, but I suspect that Hammilton's "speed bumps" serve the same purpose as the reverse curve of
LoboHunter's pouch design

OK, yes, this is off-topic.  But doesn't every topic get hijacked at some point?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)