Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hebrew sling design??? (Read 15068 times)
P.W._Smith
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Seattle WA
Hebrew sling design???
Nov 5th, 2006 at 1:21pm

Does anyone know a design for a Hebrew style sling of about 14-1800 BC? I need to make one but it can't be the Balaeric island style split-pocket...if anyone could help me out that would be great
Derek

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: Hebrew sling design???
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 2:06pm

Derek,  our Hebrew ancestors were truly a gifted group of individuals....and although we have no conclusive evidence of the style and materials they were using at the time of David's participation in the victory over Goliath, we can be sure that David's thought processes in sling design would run similar to his modern counterpart given that only natural materials are used.
   He would have been skilled in making a high performance sling made to last.  Leather, woven fiber or a combination of both would most certainly have been used.  At any rate, I'm sure you'll do well all around, and welcome to the ranks of modern "Qalla" the world over.....

Though we be few in actual number, we are many in spirit.

Yah bless,

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

P.W._Smith
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Seattle WA
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 3:18pm

Thanks Techstuf...I'm trying to make a solid woven pouch...but am having  Angryno luck. any help would be greatly appreciated in weaving a solid "historically accurate" pouch
Derek

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 4:09pm

If you can't find it here....then I have doubts as to whether you may find historically accurate designs recounted elsewhere regarding Israelite slings.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 4:30pm

The egyptian slings might be the nearest in time and region. But I am not sure about how right the instructions are for copying.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

P.W._Smith
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Seattle WA
Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 4:33pm

Willeke...how would you go about making something like that? I've read the other threads that relate to the egyptian slings...and I can't make any sense of them...help?
Derek

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 5:00pm

Derek,
it is not a sling I can explain in a few minutes, I have plans to make a set of instructions, but I have had these plans for over a year now and live comes with other things I have to do.

Sorry not to be of more help,

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 5:52pm

Quote:
Though we be few in actual number, we are many in spirit.

TS

and split/multiple personalities  8) Grin

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 7:24pm

Yes, those too, we musn't forget the contributions made by our perhaps mis/less understood sling brothers.

Wink

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 9:20pm

USMC= Uncle Stuf's misguided children? Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 11:55pm

God bless your heart BK,  you must try and verbally defecate on another's beliefs whenever that urge comes over you.  Surely there are many other forums you can inhabit which are more tolerable of your immature brand of intolerance.

http://www.accordingtothescriptures.org/doctrine/redseacrossing.html

God bless all mis-guided children of the world!

Smiley

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #11 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 1:34pm

The infamous Egyptian sling in the Petrie museum in London is more than likely not Egyptian at all, but Isreali.
     I got a facsinating letter from the chief curator of the museum that states that. The Egyptians used Isreali mercenary slingers in all their wars, so the sling there, and on the article section of the Website here is probably a good match for what you are looking for.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 2:11pm

I would be interested to see such information.....and I would add that certainly the chief curator of the Petrie Museum would know that the term, "Israeli" refers only to modern day inhabitants of Israel and not to ancient Israelites who, as the curator purportedly claims, were "more than likely" the makers of the type of sling exhibited.  Is it possible for you to shed more light on the subject by sharing a copy of this letter with the forum?  

Also, If you have the time and inclination, I would be much interested in any evidence you have to support your assertion that Egypt used 'Israelite' mercenaries in all it's wars.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

P.W._Smith
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Seattle WA
Reply #13 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 6:43pm

Hey Willeke-Could you make a woven sling for me-(since you can't give me the instructions)-If yyou could, I'd be willing to trade something for it...
Derek

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #14 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 10:48am

Sorry, but same answer, No time.

Willeke

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)