Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Hints for accuracy w/ Helicopter style??? (Read 10646 times)
LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Re: Hints for accuracy w/ Helicopter style???
Reply #45 - May 6th, 2007 at 9:05pm

I have been insticntively using a style similar to the helicopter and the figure-8.

I swing the sling up from my side behind me, then the sling is rotated diagonally and throw with an overhand move. It works very well. I can't do good with figure-8. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

southpaw
Descens

Reply #46 - May 7th, 2007 at 7:07pm

Probably a dumb question, but what is meant by 'overhand'?

In the article, it says to 'switch to an overhand' on the last rotation. Does that mean to angle the rotation behind your head, a bit like the last revolution of the fig. 8? or just keep it straight?

Of course, I'll look really, um, intelligent if this has already been addressed....... Undecided Cheesy

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #47 - May 7th, 2007 at 7:37pm

over hand is the base ball like throw . you know sling pouch and stone beside you then you whip it over your shoulder with or with out many wind ups

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #48 - May 7th, 2007 at 8:09pm

Overhand means throw from above.

I can really feel the power of that kind of throw. It works better than swinging the sling vertically(for me)

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #49 - May 8th, 2007 at 3:09pm

When I use helicopter style, which is what I first used when I tried to sling, I learned to feel where the sling was when I couldnt see it and use that as a guide to aim...in the end after a great deal of practise I had relatively decent accuracy.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #50 - May 10th, 2007 at 12:44pm

Quote:
When I use helicopter style, which is what I first used when I tried to sling, I learned to feel where the sling was when I couldnt see it and use that as a guide to aim...in the end after a great deal of practise I had relatively decent accuracy.

how does that compare to other styles for you personaly

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

Reply #51 - May 11th, 2007 at 5:44pm

Well other styles, such as apache are a lot easier for me. I am a relatively small person with a small frame and when using helicopter style, if the rock was big enough, it would carry my entire body with it! It is hard to be accurate when your whole body is being moved with the force of the stone in the sling.  Grin
I have more control over my body and where Im aiming with styles that use less force.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #52 - May 12th, 2007 at 6:21pm

awsome I have this image of you being pulled though the air with a boulder in the pouch of your sling lol lol

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

Reply #53 - May 13th, 2007 at 12:38pm

Maybe I should work on it Cool

WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #54 - May 14th, 2007 at 4:54pm

may i help

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #55 - May 14th, 2007 at 11:33pm

Mythbusters is running in the background... maybe we should submit this...  could prove good entertainment anyway...

Seriously (well a little more anyway), I've personally found dividing any of the throws into two parts helps me.  Even with a helicopter style if I consider the initial rotations as the "setup" and the final powering into the release as "the throw" things seem to work better.  I believe the Craig article talks about this.  I know "the throw" has to happen at the right point in the "setup" or I can't hit much of anything.  I also know if I concentrate on the timing of "the throw" coming out of the "setup" I can almost always either hit the target of get close enough to scare it real good...   Smiley

Of course sv's, aussies and the Apache all start "the throw" with little or no setup.  I personally think it's harder to get really accurate with these styles. 

George N

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #56 - May 15th, 2007 at 6:58pm

Gunsonwheels wrote on May 14th, 2007 at 11:33pm:
Mythbusters is running in the background... maybe we should submit this...  could prove good entertainment anyway...

Seriously (well a little more anyway), I've personally found dividing any of the throws into two parts helps me.  Even with a helicopter style if I consider the initial rotations as the "setup" and the final powering into the release as "the throw" things seem to work better.  I believe the Craig article talks about this.  I know "the throw" has to happen at the right point in the "setup" or I can't hit much of anything.  I also know if I concentrate on the timing of "the throw" coming out of the "setup" I can almost always either hit the target of get close enough to scare it real good...   Smiley

Of course sv's, aussies and the Apache all start "the throw" with little or no setup.  I personally think it's harder to get really accurate with these styles.  

with the apache and so forth reallly ok. I myself consider the helicopter really nothing more than a differnt kind of wind up. very uasable with longer slings.
I think I must agree about the set up. infact I beleave there are three parts to a throw.
1.the wind up. (the helicotper)
2. the set up (getting the pouch directly behind)
3. the release(in my case a over hand throw

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #57 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 10:22pm

I had a success with it yesterday. I rotate the sling above horizontally and gave it an overhand throw. The wet newspaper ball went straight and there is a crack sound.

I could not repeat the same movement again. I just can't control it when the sling spins fast.

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Jun 3rd, 2007 at 2:31pm

ive been using only that style for about 3 months total and ive good with it, some times i have off days though, i usually aim for a tree 12 yards away thats about alittle over  foot wide and i can hit it 7/10

hint: practice Tongue

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Jun 3rd, 2007 at 2:32pm

Quote:
Well other styles, such as apache are a lot easier for me. I am a relatively small person with a small frame and when using helicopter style, if the rock was big enough, it would carry my entire body with it! It is hard to be accurate when your whole body is being moved with the force of the stone in the sling.  Grin
I have more control over my body and where Im aiming with styles that use less force.

im 6'1 and have a  very large frame and sometimes i have trouble with it lol

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)