Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Hints for accuracy w/ Helicopter style??? (Read 10657 times)
LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Re: Hints for accuracy w/ Helicopter style???
Reply #30 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 9:58am

I still don't understand how to do that Ralph Craig's style.... Sad

IP Logged

don1
Descens

Take that, you scoundrel!
(at dog pooping on grass

Valhalla
Reply #31 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 1:05pm

PWSmith...

My question is: can you hit the jug at short distance without using the sling, just throwing naturally?

The sling is nothing but an extension of your throwing arm.  The release should be the same with or without.

next:

Slow down all your actions.  Try to hit the target without speed or power.  Once you gain slow accracy, practice developing speed and power into the shot.

-...-

I practice at a local park by playing a game of miniture golf.  I use 1.6 oz. golfballs and toss at trees that are 40 to 70 yds. apart.  I practice fig8, Greek, and underhand...I've become the most accurate with underhand method; although, with further practice, the other methods will follow in accuracy.  Caveat:  close in, beware of ricochets.  Wink

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn? --Jane Austen

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #32 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 7:14pm

Good point Don I do the same. Only thing to remebr with the helicopter is to have the stone behind you when you release

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #33 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 7:20pm

yeah I just discovered this style my self. right before The ralph craig site was post It is awsome. when motion and time don't matter. it is sweet. for extra power and distance I can out distance my underhand and have as much acuracy as I do with the over hand. I am willing to bet this is the style "David " used that brought the sling it's fame
A.C. Scott

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #34 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 8:16pm

The qeustion is, when you change to an overhand throw, do you do that vertically or diagonally??

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #35 - Mar 19th, 2007 at 9:56pm

I beleave vertical not quite understanding but here is a vid of me doing it
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v378/acscottthefirst/?action=view&current=MVC-...

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #36 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 12:13pm

Lobohunter, you look much different from the picture long ago.

I think I'm starting to have a little success with that style. I tried with a very short sling, shorter than the Apache sling with an eraser as ammo. I stood facing the the target, the body twisted 90 degrees away, the throwing hand raised up 90 degrees with the wrist at about the head level. When ready, I give the sling one spin and give it an overhand throw. The eraser flew toward the intended direction with little effort, at 3 metres. Roll Eyes Huh

IP Logged

P.W._Smith
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Seattle WA
Reply #37 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 3:31pm

Hey Guys and Gals!!!
sorry I haven't been on for a while...in reply...I've tried using a slightly different technique and have moded out to about 50 or 60 feet w/ consistent accuracy...It's a 1 rotation helicopter style...it's a russian style...quite complex to explain...thanks for all the help...
Derek

IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #38 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 8:25pm

P.W._Smith wrote on Mar 20th, 2007 at 3:31pm:
...it's a russian style...quite complex to explain...

If you feel it is a good style, could you try to explain it?  I have always been a fan of horizontal styles, as I can control the trajectory better (If I am practicing in my backyard, it is easy to lose a tennis ball if I get it a little too high)

Off subject a bit...  Russian? I have not heard of any styles being associated with an area before, except Apache perhaps.  Did you learn it from a Russian person, or find it on a Russian website?

Looking back, I guess you can regard cartwheel style, and a few others, as Hong Kong styles, as Tint, the inventor, is probably the only person who can do them well  Smiley.

paracord sling tutorial thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196026630
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #39 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 5:05am

The "apache style" is just a basic style that must have been used a lot in different places. We just call it apache because the article here tells of an apache.

And I think someone else wrote he "invented" and practiced the cartwheel style, too. (Independent of Tint).

IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #40 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 4:58pm

I understand that Apache style used in many different places, it's so simple and intuitive.  I was just saying that it was used to great effect by the Mescalero Apaches in far western Texas , apparently for several centuries, and so it is associated (at least by me) with the region. 

About the cartwheel one, you're probabley right, I thought Tint was the only one to have invented it - it's not quite as intuitive as Apache   Grin

paracord sling tutorial thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196026630
IP Logged

P.W._Smith
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Seattle WA
Reply #41 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 5:40pm

Explanation of my style...I start out w/ my shoulders facing the target and my feet at a 90 degree angle to the target with my slinging arm out behind me...then I point with my non-slinging arm at the target, sort of like you would when throwing a baseball...I whirl it ONCE AND ONCE ONLY over my head...at the same time I step forward w/ my rear leg into an oppositely facing "mirror" of my starting position...when my foot touches the ground, my arm is just finishing the rotation and I point with my first finger at the target...as for the style...I got it out of some book...I don't remember which one...it listed the style as being used in Russia since classical times...that, with a few adaptations, is my style...
Derek

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #42 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 8:08am

I start off with a stance similar to this. I tried throwing some limes. Not bad, they went straight to the direction I intended, but missed the garbage container from the curved trajectory. The range is roughly 30 metres. The limes are light.

fig-04.jpg (9 KB | )
fig-04.jpg

IP Logged

P.W._Smith
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Seattle WA
Reply #43 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 1:00pm

Yeah...it takes a while to get used to this style...but it really is pretty accurate and powerful...I use that style exclusively for accuracy (having not been able to get the hang of Apache or Figure 8)...For distance I can probably get about 300 yards using the pirouette style with a sling as long as I am tall...I have been able to get used to that style very quickly...with being able to consistently get the 300 yards after probably the 1st 5 trys...And I sling either rocks or golf balls...it works better with heavier projectiles that are about the size of Golf balls... (my accuracy technique that is)... and you really should try to get accurate with my helicopter style...it is good for hunting or accuracy...and you can get some pretty good range also...
Derek

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #44 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 3:04pm

I have been perfecting what we are calling ralph craigs style.
now with my standard 43inch sling I have no aiming troubles at all with helicopter with the over head realease. I started using a longer sling with this style. 63 inches my distance has increased dramaticly
my acurracy has also decreased lol  Grin it seems that with a longer sling the release point is much more critical. let's mark the circumface as 360 as your rear and 180 as your front. well if the release point (actuly the point I start the over head motion) is 360 degree's my aim is on target. But just a degree or two off I am feet off on my target. A very interresting and instinctive stlye of hurling stone's
I certainly enjoy the challenge. Now that I think I understand the mechanics lol Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man)