Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Hints for accuracy w/ Helicopter style??? (Read 10659 times)
LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Re: Hints for accuracy w/ Helicopter style???
Reply #15 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 7:58pm

I have not even tried this style, because, I don't even have a sling right now and I have to secretly go out and sling.

So much for a good simple sling.

IP Logged

P.W._Smith
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Seattle WA
Reply #16 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 9:30pm

Okay thanks for all the ideas...I've made a woven pocket sling...and it works pretty well...I'll get pictures up soon...
Derek

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #17 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 7:37am

Well speaking as someone who picked up a sling with no prior knowlege of any kind of technique I'd have to say that sidearm is probably the most intuitive and natural method of slinging - it's the only thing  I even considered or could make work properly for quite some time - it's not until you start reading the forum that you have a go at other styles.

So I'm going for sidearm as the earliest as it's the one that feels right as soon as you pick up a sling with no prior knowlege of styles :-)
Now it's not amazingly accurate so it's not the one that will be recorded in history for individual cultures. So while it's not the most used I still say it's probably the first slinging form.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #18 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 5:51pm

for me the first one i tried was the underhand.  it was the most logical and easiest for me since i had played with old "fox tails" at my grandma's before, and that is how you throw them.

-fox tails are slender nylon fabric sleeves sealed at one end and attached to a baseball at the other.  it is alot of fun to whip around the yard

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

alander
Novicius

Sweden
Reply #19 - Nov 18th, 2006 at 5:29am

I have used Ralph Craig style but whit just one hurl, made it up myself Wink.
before that i was using the baseball throw, but then one day i when i was walking on a road, i tried to sling at the left side of the road and "smack" it was there.
Ever since i have been using that style.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #20 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 5:12pm

that is the beauty of the helicopter is it allows you to use a longer sling. so more distance and power to a point

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #21 - Nov 25th, 2006 at 8:45pm

I have been doing weight training to build up forearm strength and found that it really helped my helicopter!  I am slinging with more power and accuracy.  The effect seems less evident in other styles though.

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #22 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 5:27am

I have no success with Ralph Craig's style. I'm tempted to try it because it sounds powerful and accurate!.. I need an illustration of the style.... Sad

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #23 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 12:03pm

Today I followed the instructions on the Balearic page (with pictures). I was quite impressed by its range and accuracy. But for me it only worked with the sling made using aussieslinger's pouch. My split braid sling kept losing the small stones while the bigger stones messed up the style.

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #24 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 8:15pm

My problem is, I don't know how to control my wrist when spinning the sling.... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #25 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 4:04am

Hmm, a bit hard to describe by words and I have no camera. Hold your hand in a loose fist, just tight enough to hold the release cord (and the retention cord, depending on your grip). I have my thumb lying on my index finger holding the release cord. Hold your arm still (but still as relaxed as possible) and draw clockwise circles with your thumb (with the right hand; with the left hand you would draw counter-clockwise circles). Nearly all movement should come from the wrist. You can train that in front of yourself with an empty sling until you feel sure enough to do it overhead or with a loaded sling.

I start the throw with the sling hanging at my right side, by swinging it up to the front and to my left, then I continue with the rotations.

When you want to throw with that style do not move your arm back too quickly. I tried that (quickly moving my arm back and forth again like I would normally be throwing) and lost all the power. Move it back slowly while rotating it and then just make a fast forward moment. You should feel the right moment for that in your hand and your wrist.

IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #26 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 11:52pm

Try consistency with the length of sling you use and the size of the rock that you sling.
I prefer a somewhat shorter sling for accuracy and it might be nice to make your own glandes for slinging that way they are the same size every time. I use a plastic golf ball that is made for practice for making my glandes. Cut it in half then fill each half with cement (which you can buy at a hardware store) then place together. Maybe try clamping it, but i found that it is fine to just set it up and let it be.  These glandes turn out quite well but i have yet to sling them for accuracy. (been busy lately)

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #27 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 9:14pm

I've been slinging on and off for almost half a year, mostly with the helicopter style, and have had no consistency whatsoever. Every now and then I'll hit a target absolutely spot-on, sometimes I'll get close most of the time, often I miss by half the distance that the target is away from me. Often I hit the ground. And I've had no idea what I've been doing differently.
It's been infuriating.

But now I think I've worked it out. This is what seems to work for me:
I swirl the sling fairly slowly around my head with elbow bent a few times, then when the pouch is behind me on the last rotation I drop my left shoulder downwards, my torso twists around to the left, my left arm swings back and I whip my right arm, with the sling, up over my head and down in a cricket bowl motion (or Apache style cast). So I switch from a horizontal wind up to an Apache type release. I think this is what Ralph Craig describes.

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #28 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 9:23pm

Thinking of it now, I think the key to this style is moving the shoulders from a horizontal plane to a verticle plane at the same time that the sling does so.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #29 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 11:19am

as a person who is always gunho about knew things I discover allow me to plug the new style I am trying
                   http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1171266013
warning the snap at the end of this style is exstremely rough on slings

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15)