Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Hints for accuracy w/ Helicopter style??? (Read 10647 times)
P.W._Smith
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Seattle WA
Hints for accuracy w/ Helicopter style???
Nov 4th, 2006 at 7:22pm

I need help with accuracy for the helicopter style...I can barely hit a 1 gallon milk jug from about 20 feet!!! Any help would be appreciated
Derek

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: Hints for accuracy w/ Helicopter style???
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 9:07pm

i am now in teh same boat as you.  i just recently switched to a longer sling, and the helicoter/45 degrees style.  the only real advice i can think of for this style is practice regularly at least twice or three times a week if possible

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 10:04pm

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 10:16pm

Like siguy said pratice is the only way.  Try to feel the rock leaving the target rather than just focusing on the result.  Feel what's happening and adjust to the misses.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 10:41pm

Quote:

Excelent article. I'm going to try this overhead / 'lasso" style cast. The mega-sling will have to wait 'till the end of the month. I need access to a safe range.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 1:30am

I just read Ralph Craig's article, and immediately went outside to try it.  I was using my usual sling, which is sized for the Apache style: it reaches from my hand to my shoulder, so it is shorter than the slings Craig described.  And I was using a tennis ball instead of a rock.  Even so, my first cast was very close to my target.  Subsequent casts were either dead-on or wild, as I tried to figure out why this style works.  Still working on that.  But it does work!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 11:11am

i will have to try that style soon.  i wonder about using that mega sling...sounds about proportionate to what mine is on me.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Monster
Descens

Calgary, Canada
Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 2:12pm

I have used the helicopter style for years and I find if I  think of releasing the rock earlier than my body thinks I should, it heads towards the target.  If I wait until the sling is aiming at the target then it has a tendency to pull to the left (me being right handed)

-Self inflicted wounds don't count for sympathy.&&

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 5:49pm

i use the helicopter wind up with a larger sling and realease in a overhand fashion. definily helps the old accuracy

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

P.W._Smith
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Seattle WA
Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 5:56pm

Thanks for the replies...and also-what is the most historically accurate style of slinging. And what length of sling do you use with this style???
Derek

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #10 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 1:08am

Most historically accurate?  That is much too broad a question.  You need to identify what culture you are asking about, at least.

The best-documented historical style that I know of, is the Apache style: documented by L.W. Forsyth, who learned it from an Apache grandfather who had used that style all his life (and who presumably learned it from his elders).

No, wait, there is also the style called the figure-8.  That one was introduced here by four different people, all of whom had learned the style from a father, an uncle or a friend.  That style has apparently been handed down through a few generations, also.

The Greek styles, described and demonstrated by David Taylor, might also be called historical, as the starting stance is the same as shown on a few old Greek vases and coins.  Although Hondero's avatar shows him in the same stance, so maybe those styles were carried down through the ages to the shepherds of modern Spain.

I could go on.  I should probably shut up and let you answer the question I asked at the top of this post...

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #11 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 6:40am

I agree with Dale as far as the culture is concerned. The recent history of the Figure-8 is particularly fascinating, maybe not too much more digging would throw up a common origin for the style?

I wonder if even in antiquity there was a 'one true style' even among a single group.

If one looks at the styles used by herder nomads in various parts of the world, do they have a uniform style within a region? Can we point to a 'Tibetan style' or 'Andean style'? Do they use different styles for different purposes, ie. for driving off predators and pursuading herd animals to come back? If so which ones?

In the latter case, I suppose the Peruvian and Bolivian shepherds might be presumed the direct descendents of the Inca, so might offer clues to the Incan style. It would be very interesting to document how these groups actually do sling before it disappears!

IP Logged

P.W._Smith
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Seattle WA
Reply #12 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 9:54am

I was thinking more Middle-Eastern style...I am doing a report on slinging in Biblical times and need to make and use a historicall accurate sling.
Derek

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #13 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 3:59am

P.W._Smith,

The only solid information I have for you concerns sling ammunition.  Archaeological digs in Israel continually turn up sling stones that actually are stones (often shaped by tools) or that are made of baked clay.  Real stones are more durable; clay is more readily found.  I do not know if the Israelites (or Philistines or others, for that matter) used lead or other metals.

I have no information, but do have some speculations, concerning the slings themselves.  Throughout the world, slings have been made from materials at hand: leather, animal hair (wool or similar), or plant fibers (grasses, jute, hemp, dogbane, or similar).  I would expect the slings wielded by the Benjaminites (mentioned in Judges) or by David (the books of Samuel) to have been made from wool or goathair, possibly with leather for the pouch (or to cover the straps of a split pouch, as is done in Mallorca today).

Again, these are my own speculations about the slings.  If you need definitive information, you may need to find someone who lives in the Middle East and who knows of a good museum.  I have had no luck searching on the web.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #14 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 7:37pm

loh_kah_hoe,

Thank you again for the link to Ralph Craig's article.  I have been using this style for a few days (alternating with the Apache, Jurek, and figure-8 styles which I usually work on), and I have gotten pretty good accuracy with it.  That is, I hit the target no more often, but I hit near the target more consistently with this style.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy)