Send Topic Print
Hey from Washington!! (Read 4452 times)
P.W._Smith
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Seattle WA
Hey from Washington!!
Nov 4th, 2006 at 7:11pm

HI this is Derek from Washington State. (My user name means primitive weapon smith). I'm 14 and have been slinging for about 2 years now...and I've got decent accuracy. Cheers

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: Hey from Washington!!
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 9:09pm

hey welcome to the site.  sounds like you have been doing well.  what style and kind of sling do you use?  pictures please  Wink

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

P.W._Smith
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Seattle WA
Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 10:27pm

I usually use either a peruvian sling that I braided myself, or I use a baleric style sling. For distance casting I use either greek overhand or underhand with 3 or 4 ortations before release. For accuracy, I use helicopter or apache (I have yet to master the elusive figure-8 style) Angry. I have decent accuracy with helicopter, on good day being able to hit a 1 gallon milk jug (empty) at about 20-30 feet consistently.
Derek

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 11:18am

sounds good.  when you reference the style names that we generally use here...did you start slinging because you found this forum years ago and never became a member, or did you read all the articles so that you could use the common terms when you got here?

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

P.W._Smith
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Seattle WA
Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 11:32am

I started before I even knew this forum existed...I got interested when I read the Biblical account of David and Goliath...and when I started I just used the helicopter (it came naturally) and then stumbled upon this site Cheesy. I started adapting to the styles mentioned here, and am still slinging very often...every day when it's not raining Grin.
Derek

IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 12:24am

Hey P.W. , I am new here so forgive me for asking what I should know. What is a baleric style sling?

Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 10:28am

Seems like more boys are becoming interested in slings lately. I mean,we have a lot here in the forum.
   Last weekend, i introduced one of my Scouts to slinging, and he has a real talent for it. He was doing a few styles better than me. ( remind me to break his little arms)
  He even did his " sling dance", where he spins around, almost the way a shotputter does.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 1:08pm

Quote:
I started before I even knew this forum existed...I got interested when I read the Biblical account of David and Goliath...and when I started I just used the helicopter (it came naturally) and then stumbled upon this site Cheesy. I started adapting to the styles mentioned here, and am still slinging very often...every day when it's not raining Grin.
Derek

This raises an interesting point. With free advertising in the best selling book of all time ever, shouldn't slinging be more popular?  Tongue Roll Eyes

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 11:24am

There should.. but unfortunately there isnt Cry

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 4:26pm

Unfortunatly, slinging plays only minor roles in the Bible. I think the only other Book to mention it is Judges.
  There was alot more smiting by other weapons in the Bible.
  As for today, most, uninformed people regard the sling as a toy, or simply to primative to be effective, when compared to .. oh, lets say a Glock.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 5:28pm

Hi, Lupis!

Regarding Balearic slings:

We had a fascinating discussion with a guy named Vicente, who is a member of the Federacio Balear de Tir de Fona (or, the Balearic Slinging Federation).  He gave us a lot of information about how slinging is done in Mallorca and the other Balearic Islands.

Balearic slings are basically split-pouch slings (often with a bit of leather covering the pouch cords), made from grasses or other vegetable fiber.  Here is a link to a page illustrating
how to braid a Balearic sling
, from start to finish.  The text is either Catalan or Spanish (I cannot tell), but the pictures are pretty clear.

Also, here is a page illustrating
a recommended slinging style
.  I cannot tell whether this is supposed to be an underhand or overhand style, just from the pictures.  Perhaps the text makes it clear, but I cannot read it.
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2006 at 7:18pm by Dale »  

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #11 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 11:06pm

Hey...I know that style of sling! There is a tutorial on this site for the same construction method, but with para-cord instead of natural fibers.

I can't really tell from the pictures on the other site either, but I am leaning to underhand from the later pics...

Can you tell me...does a sling made from natural fibers work of feel better than one from para-cord? I think my sling feels too heavy, or something.

IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #12 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 11:11pm

Cancel that last question, I just read a bit of a thread on a different post and it answered my question. I would like to hear other opinions though, you never know what you are going to learn...

IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #13 - Nov 29th, 2006 at 11:43pm

Hey Derek, what were your first three slings made of and how were they made....I have an idea here about how slingers start with their equipment...Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)