slippery pouch (Read 1815 times)
dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
slippery pouch
Nov 3rd, 2006 at 10:18pm

I have been trying off and on for quite a while to figure out on my own how to make a good braided/woven sling. I finally came up with a design I actually like; ok I love the way it releases and the way it feels when I use it. It has a single six string flat braid for the retention cord. The release cords consist of two, three string flat braids, and the pouch is woven with a small split in it. Any way, my problem is the pouch seems to be a lot more slippery than the leather I'm used to. I can only use one rotation or I highly risk stone slipping out. It still flys out early one out of every ten throws.
  I don't believe it is the double release cords because I use them a lot on my leather pouch slings, in fact I prefer it.
  The sling is completely made of jute twine.
  Any ideas to and a little grip to a woven pouch?

IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Re: slippery pouch
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 11:27pm

I've done quite a few with jute, in the form of garden twine, and whilst I haven't had that problem have been thinking about extra grip for the sake of spin.  I haven't tried this yet but how about painting the business side of the pocket with latex?  Still a natural material as it is only tree sap.

The problem I had with jute is wear as I usually end up throwing rough stuff, not a huge problem with a simple one but when one has spent a lot of hours weaving a pocket a bit of a pain if it goes after only a few hundred casts..  The wear is mostly in the same place, above the pocket on the releace cord.  So what I do now is whip that part and change the whipping ( which only takes a minet ) when it wears.

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 12:32pm

perhaps the problem is that the split is too big.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 1:28pm

The split is only about half an inch long. I will just have to try another design.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 1:40pm

Maybe the pouch is too small, it may need to be a little longer.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 1:50pm

Oops.. I see Willeke got there first.

Perhaps the split is too small? Smiley

I've woven a number of slings, and the slits are always much longer than half an inch. I think the slit 'gives' differently when it's woven compared with a leather pocket.

Before I figured them out, I couldn't understand how these woven split pockets could work - now I don't think I'd use anything else. The shortest slit in any of mine is about 2.5 inches. Smiley

IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 5:15pm

There seem to be at least three types of split pouch.  The long sort on which the stone is balenced, like the the Bollinger design in the guide section of this site.  With those if the cords are too short the stone tends to fall of the sde and if too long down the middle.  Then there is the one which has a centering split in what is essentially a pouch sling like the record breaking one a pic of which is in the gallery section.  There is also the sort which depends on having a egg shaped projectile which is big enough not to fall through the hole but small enough to sit with the cords around it like a belt.  I've tried making one of the latter types out of jute but it was disasterous.  The rocks I was useing were rough so didn't leave the pocket., nasty.  But if you believe that mortification of the flesh is spiritually benificial then it's the way to go, clubbing yourself with a home made mace has got to be more virtuous than just wearing  a wimpy hair shirt.  Grin

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick)