Send Topic Print
Learning Curve... (Read 1119 times)
Tumakas
Descens

I'm slinging in the rain!

Las Vegas, NV
Learning Curve...
Oct 30th, 2006 at 3:02am

I've only been slinging for a couple months now but already my aim is accurate within 5 feet of what I aim at a distance of 20 meters. Now, I've read that it takes years to learn how to use the sling proficiently so I was thinking:

If my progress keeps going on like this does that mean that I am in a time of rapid growth that slowly turns into gradual growth or will I end up fluctuating? What was the learning curve like for you elites out there like jurek?

redleadersb HypapinoyskadA  
IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Re: Learning Curve...
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 1:44pm

It took me one month to get accuracy of 1m in 20 meters and three more to get accuracy good enough to hit bottle in 10 hits 15 meters away...

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 2:22pm

I have been slinging for about two years.  My accuracy is not consistent.  When I do not have time to practice, my accuracy goes down.  When I am thinking about how I am slinging, my accuracy goes down.  When I just look and sling, and give my mind no time to interfere with my reflexes, my accuracy goes up.  But I still hit my target less than one time in ten on avarage.  Sometimes I will get four or five hits in a row and then I cannot hit anything the rest of the day.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Tumakas
Descens

I'm slinging in the rain!

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 12:41am

It's strange though, even if I haven't been practicing a long while my aim seems to be right where I left off for a couple throws and then my aim gets REALLY bad. Is there any way to remedy this?

redleadersb HypapinoyskadA  
IP Logged

Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 3:56am

Hi.
I started slinging this spring and  by july I had come to an accuracy of ca 2 meters in 20 meters away.
I got a son in july and after that I have had almost no time to sling. Tryed to sling yesterday and the accuracy had gone (or open up) to about 5 meters at 20 meters Tongue.

The snow have come to Norway now so there will not be any more slinging before I can get some stones.
Using snowballs in a sling dosent feel right, and they have a tendency to break up when I try to sling them.

Kill one, and you are a murder- Kill millions, and you are a conqueror- Kill them all, and you are God.

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 7:40am

i've been slinging 2 years - my learning curve was fairly shallow until i din't sling for a fairly long time - a month or two. then when i started again i only did about 1/2 an hour per week. this is far better than constant practise for building up accuracy. i can now generally hit what i'm aiming at or get close to it, at 10 yards - sidearm release
the other key - apart from minimal sessions - was to introduce changes in grip, sling type, and style of throw and noting improvements or otherwise. obvious really, but you soon develop a method and sling length etc etc which suits your own intellect and physique.
the time needed to become good is very variable - i am a slow learner compared to JustKnot, for instance. but since we are all basically self-taught that's not surprising - we are learning by trial and error. 

in answer to Tumakas' question, i would say that the key to solving the problem is to limit your throws to the "good" phase at the start of your session. there is no point continuing when you have lost the path.

this fits in with my own theory = "10 good throws a week is better than 200 throws with 10 good ones hidden amongst them"

sv   

sv

IP Logged

cipher20
Tiro

NJ, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 6:00pm

I've seen my greatest gains in sling accuracy, and other things, come as a result of consistent practice in relatively short intervals.  In general I would recommend practicing for about 30 minutes at a time perhaps 3 times per week.

I find that spending too much time away from slinging reduces my ability, but also that slinging for long periods of time gets me into a pattern of overthinking and overcorrecting.  The result being that after 2 or more hours of slinging, I might be worse than when I started.

I'm a bit to lazy to do 30 minutes 3 times per week, so I just keep my sling in my posket and when I feel like taking a break from work on the farm I go collect a handful or two of stones and have fun for a few minutes before going back to work.  I generally do that a couple times a day.  In fact, now I have one tree that may die from me blasting chunks of bark off of it.  Oh well, need more firewood anyway.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, Chris)