Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
batting cage (Read 2031 times)
ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

batting cage
Oct 29th, 2006 at 12:40pm

Something that some of you may be able to try.

I occassionaly go to a batting cage to practice my batting abilities.  Well many of the balls don't roll back to the pitching mechanism right away.  So I will sling them back.   There is a wooden target at the end of the "field" area.  I've hit it by using a bat and a sling. With a sling though one must sling very fast because the target is near the net ceiling.  It is a lot of fun.

Have any of you taken a sling to a batting cage?

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Re: batting cage
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2006 at 5:54pm

great idea!

to bad there is no such thing over here...

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 4:55pm

Same here, and if you 'play' on a sportsfield between the official games you are bound to be send of, most likely with a fine to.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 5:00pm

I havent tried either...
but ill have to keep that in mind next time i am at one  Grin

IP Logged

NicmanTaylor
Novicius

Famous last words - "Hey
y'all, WATCH THIS!"

DFW (North Texas)
Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 6:41pm

Batting cages?   Hmmm -- that is an option -- especially if you are in a heavily populated urban area. 

I love going to driving ranges... especially when crowded by 30-40 of your average golfer, trying to improve his stroke.   I've visited two here in the North Texas area, bought a container of 50 golf balls ($8.50!  I didn't complain only for the convenience of not having to pick them up again!).   You should have seen the look on the faces of my companions on the driving line  Grin  I wager they had never seen anything like it!    The second driving range I went to, I bought the first bucket of balls (much more reasonably priced than the first range), and then one of my "fans" offered to buy me a second one, just to watch me send them down range in style! 

With the sling that I was using (home-made, 100% leather -- sorry no picture... I lost it in the Black Jungle of Nicaragua about a year and a half ago) and by the measurements on the driving range, I could send it out to about 150 yards without breaking a sweat, and 200 easily enough if I could get the spin right, and get the ball to fly Smiley.  It was harder than I thought, with the sling that I had, to get the spin right in order to achieve accuracy.   I hope, in the future, I can get good enough at short and long ranges, to be able to pelt the range markers, and maybe win a few bets  8)

-Nicman Taylor

When the Cambrian measures were forming, they promised perpetual peace.&&They swore if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.&&But when we disarmed they sold us and delivered us bound to our Foe,&&And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said:
red5bagel drydenriver  
IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2006 at 11:39pm

Sounds awesome! I should try that sometime since there are a lot of golf courses around here...but there are also a bunch of old(er) folks and they really dislike "youngsters" so if they saw me at the driving range with a sling in my hand who knows what kind of lecture I'd get  Grin

And may i be the first to officially welcome you to the wonderful online world of slinging, @ slinging.org!  Cheesy
and a great first post at that!!!

-Hound-

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 12:03am

i dunno about batting cages i think id probably get yelled at lol, golfing range would be funny. theres a range about a mile from my house and they have different stuff as makers like theres a plywood cow at 25 yrds so that would be fun to hit

IP Logged

NicmanTaylor
Novicius

Famous last words - "Hey
y'all, WATCH THIS!"

DFW (North Texas)
Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 1:32pm

When I went to the driving ranges, to be polite, I scooted to the edge of the range... to where there weren't any golfers TOO close by, just in the case that there would be the odd unplanned release, and leave a bad taste with your fans Smiley 

Generally, if you ask nicely, pay the fee, and don't hurt anyone... I don't think they'll give you much trouble.   Practice range, practice accuracy, or just plain have fun throwing projectiles that you don't have to retrieve, and win some respect while you're at it! 

-Nicman Taylor

When the Cambrian measures were forming, they promised perpetual peace.&&They swore if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.&&But when we disarmed they sold us and delivered us bound to our Foe,&&And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said:
red5bagel drydenriver  
IP Logged

JStrider
Novicius

-==-

TTU, Lubbock, Texas
Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 8:57pm

NicmanTaylor, where in TX are ya? I'm in lubbock.

I like the driving range idea...
think I need a lil more practice before I should go somewhere like that... tend to have a few too many going the wrong way...

bout to make a sling with more of a pouch shaped pouch to help keep things in place till I let go.

Marmot119  
IP Logged

NicmanTaylor
Novicius

Famous last words - "Hey
y'all, WATCH THIS!"

DFW (North Texas)
Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 9:13pm

I'm in the North Texas area -- Dallas Fort Worth.  There are enough young business professionals (also read, 'young aspiring golf heroes') here to keep the demand for driving ranges pretty high, so there are no shortage of driving ranges here. 

The only possible disadvantage is, you just might feel like a turd in a punch bowl if you show up to some of the "upscale" ones and start throwing balls with a sling. 

Me... I've been practicing with a sling since I was about 12... I learned it in Arizona (where I was born and raised), from my older brother, who learned it from a fellow by the last name of Bradshaw -- our technique of throwing seems to be fairly unique -- I've only seen my brother, the man who taught him, and NWManitou (another user here on the site) use the same technique.  More elegant if you ask me Wink  NWManitou has a short video of his technique posted here on the site I believe.

-NicmanTaylor

"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 ft/sec, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter." - Dave Barry

red5bagel drydenriver  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)