Send Topic Print
a question about law (Read 1440 times)
Red Squirrel
Descens

A.K.A BritishandProud

U.K/G.B
a question about law
Oct 23rd, 2006 at 1:56pm

hi chaps,hope u  can shed light on this 4 me  ???.  do any of u know if its legal 2 hunt with slings  in britain?
forgive my curiosity, Embarrassed (i don't wish to sound like bugger : Grin)
thought some of my fellow brits may be the best people to ask. all info welcome. with thanks in advance, britishandproud.

"To be. or not to be- that is the question:&& Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer&& The slings and arrows of outrageous&&fortune&& Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,&& And by opposing end them?"&& Hamlet 3i, Shakespeare&&&&    Lux et Umbra Vicissim sed Semper Amor&&&&"...Work is the scourge of the drinking classes..." Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: a question about law
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 5:19pm

BritishandProud,
First, I do not live in Britain, I do visit it from time to time but do not really know the law.
But as far as I remember from the discussions here it is not allowed to hunt in England (maybe all of britain) without a permit and you can only get a permit if your weapon is within the rules. All primitive weapons, including slings, are not allowed.

You might be able to find the info online, but it might be hard to find. (I was able to find the explanation on the law in my home country, the Netherlands, but had a hard time to understand it.)

Second,
Welcome to the forum.

Third,
please remember we are a worldwide forum with people speaking many different languages and from many different age-groups. So can you please try to write the words in full. It is hard for people who pronounce numbers a different way to see that 4 = for if they see 4 and think vier or négy.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Red Squirrel
Descens

A.K.A BritishandProud

U.K/G.B
Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2006 at 12:16pm

[quote author=Willeke  date=10/23/06 at 17:19:58]BritishandProud,
Third,
please remember we are a worldwide forum with people speaking many different languages and from many different age-groups. So can you please try to write the words in full. It is hard for people who pronounce numbers a different way to see that 4 = for if they see 4 and think vier or négy.

sorry for the above, willeke, Embarrassed  i'll remember that in future.

thanks for  the info and the welcome,  Smiley i guess i'll have to reign in on the blood lust! Wink

"To be. or not to be- that is the question:&& Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer&& The slings and arrows of outrageous&&fortune&& Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,&& And by opposing end them?"&& Hamlet 3i, Shakespeare&&&&    Lux et Umbra Vicissim sed Semper Amor&&&&"...Work is the scourge of the drinking classes..." Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2006 at 12:57pm

its illegal to hunt in england as far as i know  Undecided

IP Logged

Red Squirrel
Descens

A.K.A BritishandProud

U.K/G.B
Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2006 at 4:30pm

thanks wannabeslinger  Smiley
you know, the funny thing is that people in the u.k (especially where i live) complain about rabbits etc. being a pest and that their numbers are growing. Roll Eyes the simple solution is to legalise hunting with bows and slings. problem solved. Wink

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 6:43am

hi BaP - welcome to a fellow Brit!

it is perfectly legal to shoot "pest species" with air rifles or shotguns in the UK without a permit other than a FAC for a shotgun (or also an air rifle in n. ireland)

i am almost sure that it is ok to shoot these so-called pest species with stone-throwing devices. barnett catapults are sold with ridiculous fierce killer rat pictures on the box.

i have shot and killed pest birds with a catapult (legal) and rats with same (legal) and also rats with a bow (illegal i think!) i have also hunted with firearms but i sold them years ago - they are boring noisy toys, designed to make life easy for people with no skill in the art of projectilism   

however i am now anti-hunting and would only kill in a survival situation.  otherwise the only living target i would shoot at is a burglar - in a survival situation   

one last thing - i would guess that with very few exceptions no-one on this forum is accurate enough to hunt with a sling.   

if there was a goup of us slinging at a large flock of birds we might hit one - otherwise i would forget it   

sv

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 8:02am

I'd back pretty much what sv has just written, although I have been out of touch with the UK situation for a long time.

If an animal is classed as 'vermin', then it's literally open season on them, and the restrictions on hunting 'game' don't apply.

Leeds_lobber did mention an incident he had with a duck. Wonder if he can explain further since he seems to have some connections to the legal profession?

Then, of course, laws may differ between England and Scotland  Smiley.

Given current attitude in the UK, I wouldn't want to start fighting to formally legalise the sling, since it would likely be immediately banned Angry.

The main thing it has going for it is that most people think a sling is a bit of a toy (David and Goliath not excepted), and maybe also that it is hard to get good with it.

As for helping to keep down rabbits with a sling - again I agree with sv. I'd back a man with a dog or a ferret against a large group of slingers any day.

IP Logged

Red Squirrel
Descens

A.K.A BritishandProud

U.K/G.B
Reply #7 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 2:25pm

thanks for the replies, s.v and wanderer Smiley
i agree with u about there not being many people accurate or skilled enough to bring down a small animal with a sling on this site or,indeed, else where (myself included,i've just started Embarrassed ).
still, no harm in aspiring to (or should i say dreaming of?!) perfection. Cheesy

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 7:17am

BritishandProud,

Like you I am new to slinging, and share your aspirations to perfection. Given the posts here, I know I have a long way to go.

BTW I thought the British Britannia had two n's?  Wink

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #9 - Oct 27th, 2006 at 1:38am

Quote:
thanks for the replies, s.v and wanderer Smiley
i agree with u about there not being many people accurate or skilled enough to bring down a small animal with a sling on this site or,indeed, else where (myself included,i've just started Embarrassed ).
still, no harm in aspiring to (or should i say dreaming of?!) perfection. Cheesy

Greetings, BaP, and welcome to the forum!                               
            I just wanted to mention that there have been several discussions of small game hunting or pest control on the forum over the past few months. Have you considered using "throwing sticks"
( also called "rabbit sticks?" ) I have done a bit of tinkering with these and they are easier to hit with than a sling ( although they only work at short ranges. ) Look back several pages in the "Other Primitive Weapons" section of the forum, or do a google search.                     
                                                                        .......Dan

IP Logged

Red Squirrel
Descens

A.K.A BritishandProud

U.K/G.B
Reply #10 - Oct 28th, 2006 at 7:07am

thanks dan, i'll take a look.
well spotted wanderer! Embarrassed  it was, of course, a deliberate mistake  Wink as a reward for your vigillance a prize and Blue Peter badge are on the way to you via royal mail Grin

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #11 - Oct 28th, 2006 at 9:37am

Thankyou BaP, I will treasure the badge always, or atleast until the eBay price increases sufficiently Smiley.

I've been experimenting a bit with throwing recently, and realise that maybe a lot of us might be 'almost good enough' for the hunting. The only style I feel anywhere close to happy with (the Apache, I suppose) seems to be the method of choice for hunting.

What I do with it now is 'throw' (with or without a runup Smiley ) exactly like a classical pace delivery in cricket. I think this may be more 'side on' than the 'real' Apache, but for me it works, and my accuracy (at least horizontally) is probably as good or better than when bowling a cricket ball. Now I have got the timing better, it also goes a lot faster from the sling than I ever bowled it!

I guess what I'm saying is, if you have played cricket much (and bowled) you may be at an advantage when it comes to hunting. Also, maybe it is better for any of us to 'hijack' the biomechanics we have picked up from cricket, baseball, whatever rather than adapt to a fixed recipe. Good luck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)