Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
some sling pics. (Read 1004 times)
Tito

Australia
some sling pics.
Oct 16th, 2006 at 3:17am

Hey guys,
its been a long time since i've been on the forum...somethin like several months. Grin anyways, i had to abort the idea of my suicidal fire-ball slings (WAY too dangerous - and i couldn't get the materials Roll Eyes and decided to just go on making normal slings (if there is such a thing Cheesy)
well anyway; here are some of the slings i have made recently. enjoy

I copied the idea for this spliced sling from Coops, and i think he did a better job than me Grin but it works well, and the frayed end gives a huge CRACK when it releases.

These three slings have either 1, 2 or 3 straps of 1in nylon webbing as the pouch. The single strap sling has a normal bowline for a fingerloop, the two-strap sling has a double bowling, and the three-strap has a monkey-chain as the fingerloop - very confortable 8)

I've made my own apache sling, but i made one mistake and underestimated the amount of string i was goin to need Tongue so i had to add strings after the pouch was braided (that's what the black marks are on the release cord - a whipping to prevent the added/ended strands from unravelling)

and i thought i might leave you with a pic from when i went slinging in the Grampians (a mountain range in west victoria).

good slinging to youse all,
from the slinging-teenage-aussie-pyromaniac 8)
tito

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: some sling pics.
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2006 at 8:04am

totally awesome pics!

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2006 at 11:47am

Oooooo.... that last one is classic! Maybe we need a slinging POTM (picture of the month) thread.

Matthias

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2006 at 12:56pm

Tito,

Very interesting picture, that last one!  Were you using the figure-8 style?

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2006 at 1:56am

Tito!                                                               
         My first sling did not work very well, but my second sling has worked out just fine. The only problem with this is that I have not tried to make any more slings of different design ( although I have made three more of the same design to give to friends. )             
         But now that I see your great pix, the creative juices are starting to flow!! Excellent work!  Smiley                                              
         But that last pic blows my mind!!  Shocked  GAWD! The Land Down Under is beautiful! ( I say that as a New Englander; it is Autumn here and the leaves have turned color with a good deal of red and orange this year. But I must admit, you "Ozzies" have some mighty fine scenery! ( And I have always loved mountains. )         
         Thanks, Tito, I needed that! Top view!!  OY!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy         
                                                                                   .......Dan

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2006 at 2:54pm

those are good slings.  it looks like felt on apache sling...that's what i did before i got ahold of leather. 

i also have done the monkey chain finger loop on thing corded long slings.  it does work well.

those are nice pics, and i also like that one of you slinging.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2006 at 2:56am

thanks for the compliments everyone,  Cheesy

dale; it wasn't the figure-8 style, but i do use that style often - i just twirling it behind my back and the campera captured the last roation before i gave it my full swing and released. omg that rock FLEW!! musta gone hundreds of meters (but then again i was on top of a hundred or so meter cliff so its kinda expected  Grin)

slinger_man_dan; there are hundreds of sling designs floating about on the forum - i seem to remember somewhere there was a 'different slings' thread or somehting like that, none of the ideas are copyrighted so its free for all 8). we go to the grampians every year and i've got to admit i find it one of the most awe inspiring places i've been to (except for rotorua (sp?) in North Island, New Zealand...they had bubling mud coming up from under the swings in the playgrounds and steam rising from the storm-water drains - i love volcanoes and mountains too Smiley)

siguy; one side does look like felt now i re check the pics - but its actually thin leather (recycled from an old handbag). honestly i don't know how well its gonna cope with heavy slinging - but i can always make a new one. the monkey chain finger loop is very compfy! thanks for the idea (i think it was you who suggested it...or was it someone else  Undecided) doesn't matter...

thanks for the comments guys - does anyone have some pics of their new slings to share with the rest of the forum?
cya
Tito

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15)