Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
hunting with slings (Read 3766 times)
Nakki

We sling in Finland too

Finland, Espoo
Re: hunting with slings
Reply #15 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 2:20pm

Well, went to unt some rabbits and pheasants. Pheasants would have been good for their feathers. We didn't get anything, it was too dark and chilly. We did try to kill couple of rabbits (2-4), but those b*stards ran before we could be close enough to get a good shot.
  Well my buddies were yousing selfmade wooden bows, it's much better feeling to get something with your OWN bow. My friends bow broke at the same day that we were going to hunt, he offered the bow to me, but I appreciate my hands and health in all it's forms (mentally, not so much).
  I don't think that bow hunting is so popular in Finland, but quite many are intrested if they see someone shooting at bows or slinging. I noticed when we were practising on a field, quite many stopped and started to look what we were doing. Their looks were intrested and little kids were very exited (especially boys) to see someone to shoot a bow. I even heard some kid saying to his dad that he wanted to have a bow.

Dum spiro, spero.

IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #16 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 3:12pm

nice, some school kids walking by; big woooooohooo's, and "i want that too's"
i maybe go hunting myself, wont go in my own, bit too boring.
would be xtremely nice if i would hit an animal with my sling.
(PostScriptum; i am almost slinging for a month, thanks to this forum...)

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #17 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 10:23pm

I think the the ability to hunt successfully alone with a sling is quite good. I personally believe i could manage to survive if the sling was my only given weapon. The Ancients must have known something we don't. If the sling had such little use as a solo weapon it would have never made it as far through history as it did. I think part of our problem is that we think too much( myself included). My best slung stones are the ones I put very little aim into and just relax. Trust your subconcious when slinging and there will be meat on your plate.

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Oct 24th, 2006 at 1:02pm

im 100% sure you could but coming home with anything is questionable if u could get a rabbit to stand still for a moment and get a good shot off...but still sounds like fun, i think im gona get good with my bow before i start using a sling lol..

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #19 - Oct 27th, 2006 at 8:12pm

speaking Of hunting the other night walking home with my head lamp on I Noticed a deer froze in my high beams i walk up with in twenty feet of said animal. The urge was great to pull out the old faithful sling and the five to six ounce stone it lay wrapped around. But needless to say the sweet little bambi went on it way,unscathed as did I
awe alas such things are of sweet dreams

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #20 - Oct 29th, 2006 at 12:21pm

Walking with a headlamp?  Are you a miner?  Or were you camping?  You live in Oregon right?

Quote:
speaking Of hunting the other night walking home with my head lamp on I Noticed a deer froze in my high beams i walk up with in twenty feet of said animal. The urge was great to pull out the old faithful sling and the five to six ounce stone it lay wrapped around. But needless to say the sweet little bambi went on it way,unscathed as did I
awe alas such things are of sweet dreams

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #21 - Oct 29th, 2006 at 2:56pm

well I live slightly deep into the woods. no street lights
lol

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #22 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 10:45am

Okay I get it.  Sounds like it might be a nice place to live. Do you like the area?  Is it a good place to live? Any engineering job opportunities nearby?  Next year I graduate from ASU <Materials Engineering>

I got to start looking

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #23 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 1:21pm

What materials do you hope to specialize in?  Have we even heard of them yet?  Make us some transparent aluminum when you get a chance!

I want you to create a magnet whose flux lines approach the visible spectrum....such that a special viewer can see them in 3D.  When such a magnet can be realized which virtual photons are used to produce light that is visible to the naked eye.....how fun would that be!

8)

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #24 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 2:44pm

To make this a discussion about slinging, I'll mention that slinging a conductive material, i.e. steel or lead through the magnetic field of the earth causes a retarding force.  The retarding force is a function of the conductivity of the projectile and the angle through which it travels relative to the magnetic field of the earth.  As a consequence, throwing a lead projectile east or west will result in a shorter range than throwing north or south.  If I got that mixed up, will one of you please let me know.  It has been a while since I've used the right hand rule for electicity and magnetism.

Now about your questions:

I'm not sure what materials I want to specialize in.  Thanks for asking!  This decision is supposedly supposed to become more obvious as one finishes their education.  In particular the technical elective courses are the means to help the student narrow it down. I have to take four more technical elective courses. Two of which I'm currently taking. I'm taking Electrochemistry/Corrosion and I'm taking Environmental Chemistry.  Most of my materials classes I've taken recently are incredibly theoretical/analytical and very dry.  I'm not happy with my education so far. My professors don't seem happy either. I think they all would rather do research than teach! And since they would rather do research they tend to teach at a level that assumes that we are doing independent lab work and research and  otherwise we are entirely competent in materials science!  But having said that I feel interested (but not competent) in rechargable battery technology and PV technology(photo-voltaic). I don't know what technical electives I will take next semester and I welcome any and all advice!

Now about your other questions:

I'm not getting a PHD!  All I know about flux lines are that they represent magnetic fields.  So I don't know anything about flux lines that approach the visible spectrum.   If you're serious, please tell me what you mean.  It sounds interesting.

Quote:
What materials do you hope to specialize in?  Have we even heard of them yet?  Make us some transparent aluminum when you get a chance!

I want you to create a magnet whose flux lines approach the visible spectrum....such that a special viewer can see them in 3D.  When such a magnet can be realized which virtual photons are used to produce light that is visible to the naked eye.....how fun would that be!

8)

TS

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #25 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 11:39pm

I was hoping to inspire you to single handedly revolutionize the 'field' of supersaturated materials research!

lol.

As a fellow nature buff,  I was just curious what your work entailed.  Good luck in your quest for excellence!

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)