Send Topic Print
hunting with slings (Read 3764 times)
cut.n.shoot
Tiro

do or do not, there is
no try

hunting with slings
Oct 10th, 2006 at 10:25pm

has anyone out there hunted with slings before? i red some about it in the apace article ,but can it be done?

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: hunting with slings
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 12:46am

Of course you can hunt with a sling.  How successful you will be, depends on how quietly you can move, and whether you can hit anything with your sling when you find it.  There are a few people here that are good enough that they could feed themselves, but most of us are not that good.  I myself would probably starve if I had to get my food with a sling, but then I have only been slinging a bit more than two years.

This topic has come up several times; do a search on "hunt", remembering to set the maximum age to something like 1000 days and the number of results to 100 or so (the defaults of 7 days and 25 results, are much to small).

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Lard_Kebabar

pew pew

Finland
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 1:39am

I'm certain hunting with a sling is entirely possible. I myself haven't really hunted per se. The closest to that would be when I was walking in a forest and saw a wood pigeon sitting on a branch not far away. Since I had a stone in the pouch and all I decided to see if I could get me some feathers. Of course I didn't actually even hit the thing, but I got semi-lucky and took out the branch from under it.

If someone with this little experience can almost get something, then I'm sure a good slinger would have no problems at all hunting. Something big like deer might be a different matter though. I'm sure it's possible, but I'd reckon you'd have to deliver a headshot to kill it quickly.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man and he'll eat for weeks!

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 4:22am

Eat your sling. Bjarn makes a very nice one with teriyaki sauce. Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 5:11am

mmm... braided spaghetti sling... yummy Cheesy

IP Logged

Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 9:29am

Hi.
If I must hunt with a sling it had to be the stafsling. I am a to bad shoot with a normal sling Tongue
With the stafsling I can hit a large tincan up to ca 40 meters away (thats on a good day Smiley)
I have thrown maybe a 1000 stones with my sling , but I stil have a problem with hitting wath I am aiming for Tongue Embarrassed.
With the stafsling I have throw maybe 150 stones, but it is much easyer to hit the target.

Kill one, and you are a murder- Kill millions, and you are a conqueror- Kill them all, and you are God.

IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 3:56pm

Try making "grip" cord stiff - that gives better control.
I got one sling that is actually a half of leather sling ("grip" cord and pouch) covered with flax string (4 strand braid) and continued only with flax for release cord...

IP Logged

Nakki

We sling in Finland too

Finland, Espoo
Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2006 at 4:01pm

I'm going to try hunting with the sling at next weekend. It's going to be very intresting to see what I can get (I would say couple of pines and buddys forehead bleeding).                     

Because I broke my own bow I have to use sling. All my friends use bows, so I think they are going home with the prey. But we will see it then. I'll raport what happened.

Dum spiro, spero.

IP Logged

harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2006 at 4:42pm

yeah, it's very hard. I don't believe that the ancient civilizations hunted with just one person at a time. As accurate as ive seen people like the Beduins and the Native Americans, i believe they must of hunted in groups to achieve a higher success rate. It just makes more sense. 1 stone < multiple stones

Ja bin ich deutsch und ich schleudere gern. Ich mag paintball auch.

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #9 - Oct 18th, 2006 at 8:47pm

Even mammoth hunters with atlatl hunted in groups.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #10 - Oct 18th, 2006 at 9:50pm

Quote:
Even mammoth hunters with atlatl hunted in groups.

That's rather an example of when it's neccessary to hunt in a group.

Personally, I'll stick with my romantisized view of the lone hunter, moving silently, sling ready.

IP Logged

harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
Reply #11 - Oct 18th, 2006 at 11:32pm

Yes, that is the way i would want to look at it. but if we tried to do that back then, we would most likley starve. But then, we don't have all day every day to hone our skills like people of old did. Especially if you were a hunter for your proffession.

In conclusion i believe that, yes the lone slinger is a more romantisized look on slinging, but it just isn't logical.

Ja bin ich deutsch und ich schleudere gern. Ich mag paintball auch.

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2006 at 1:24am

Quote:
I'm going to try hunting with the sling at next weekend. It's going to be very intresting to see what I can get (I would say couple of pines and buddys forehead bleeding).                      

Because I broke my own bow I have to use sling. All my friends use bows, so I think they are going home with the prey. But we will see it then. I'll raport what happened.

Nakki,                                                                                    
         Your comment, " All my friends use bows..." is very interesting.
You did not specify what kind of hunting you and your friends like to do: deer, small game ( rabbits, squirrels,etc. ) or birds? Also, are you using modern bows or "primitive" bows that you made yourself? How popular is bowhunting in Finland?                                  .......Dan

IP Logged

Monster
Descens

Calgary, Canada
Reply #13 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 10:43pm

If you don't want to hunt in a group of slingers then hunt a target that is in a group. 
A flock of ducks on the ground maximize your chance of a kill.  I find when they are flying they seem to know the rock is coming and can avoid it but on the ground is a different story.

-Self inflicted wounds don't count for sympathy.&&

IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #14 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 1:32pm

most certainly a flying bird who sees the rock flying towards him, will fly away... (duh)
though if the bird is sitting on the ground, your succesrate increases a lot. That because the bird can't simple fly away at topspeed, he needs to accelerate. And if the bird sees it very late, more succes will be granted and if he doesnt see the rock even more.
hunting in a large group (all slingers) will only be succesfull, if offcourse you have good tactics etc. and i think that if you will hunt at birds in groups, it wont be effective, remember, if you have 20 men, you will have to feed them all... with two birds that can't be done. And you are more likely to kill a deer with 5 stones on the head, instead of one. if you hunt at deer or some other big game, it will be very effective, cause of the large amounts of meat
so, hunting on smal game; good on your own
     big game; group

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)