Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
slings (Read 2693 times)
buger

I love Slinging.org!

slings
Sep 25th, 2006 at 9:00pm

plese tell me like the survival bow short sweet nd to the point how to make a survival sling

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: slings
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 9:26pm

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 9:32pm

How about this wicked sweet site:
slinging.org

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 10:02pm

If you are ever stranded in the woods, pull out your GPS, hit the big red button, and a plane sends you 57 slings within 20 minutes Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 11:00pm

Tie two pieces of cord to a patch of something. Roll Eyes

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

buger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 11:21pm

kay,i mad eone of those,when i wirled it above my head, the rock fell out,even when i held it in there,how big does the pouch have to be

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 11:26pm

Big enough to keep the rock from falling out! Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2006 at 1:31am

Buger,
before you post something, please see the part of the forum you are in.
Slings belong in the general part of the forum.
Other primitive weapons are that, other.

And learn to use the search function. Your question has been answered many times.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2006 at 4:21pm

well...i don't know why you would be without a sling ever anyways, for instance i always keep my old faithful in my pocket, and usually a couple exrta in my pack.

do you remember your first sling?  i remember my first sling...
it was a little tiny cloth bag that used to hold that gold nugget bubble gum.  you might not know what i mean.  i stitched the short sides a little so it would have a cup, then i stitched a couple peices of braided nylon rope to the ends.  it worked pretty well, but i didn't know it because i was trying to sling square ice cubes and i didn't know what i was doing.

just go with the flow.  find something, anything, and look at it as what kindof sling it can make.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2006 at 8:51pm

Quote:
kay,i mad eone of those,when i wirled it above my head, the rock fell out,even when i held it in there,how big does the pouch have to be

buger,

YOU HAVE OVER 100 POSTS ON A SITE ABOUT SLINGING!!!! SHOULDN'T YOU KNOW BY NOW HOW BIG TO MAKE A POUCH?!

Try reading any of the articles, or any of the 80 pages of threads about making slings.
This would be almost acceptable for a highly uninitiated new member, but isn't it time that you grow up?

Come back when you figure out how to put a rock in a piece of leather.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2006 at 9:23pm

Buger,

I can keep a rock three inches long, in a pouch three-quarters of an inch wide (well ... most of the time...).  It may not be a matter of how big the pouch, but how well balanced.  Try putting a rock in your sling, and then just push down on it with a finger or thumb, and see if the pouch twists to one side or the other.  If it does, you got your cords attached off-center, and the sling will never work.  You will have to re-attach the cords and make sure they are centered.  Pardon the ASCII-art, but:

------[    ]----------     this is right

______[    ]_________     this is wrong

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2006 at 8:17am

Yeah, the ease of construction of a sling is one of it's strongest points and biggest draw of its widespread use as a weapon. You should sort of have at least an inkling by now how to attach a pair of strings to an old piece of material so it can hold something like a rock at least most of the time. Sure, I have rocks occasionally fall out; it happens. VERY rarely, I have to add, but it does. Make a bigger pouch, use smaller rocks, attach the strings in the centre of the end of the pouch or use two strings connected to holes at either side of the pouch

/-------------------------------------\
           |   X                                     X |
           |                                             |
           |   X                                     X |
           \ -------------------------------------/

Pardon the bad ASCII drawing, but try that if you can't get it to centre with a single string design. They've always worked for me, but then again, so has not studying hard for exams and doing reports at the last minute. Just tie the two strings together in a knot about 3 inches above the end of the pouch and use two strings for the cords instead of one. Once you have that down, use a single string version. my first sling was a piece of curtain material with a hole poked in either end with a pair of scissors and two bootlaces tied to it and I could lob tennis balls for short distances with it, but because the material was too floppy, anything else tended to fall out. What material are you using? What are the dimensions? But by now, surrounded by how to guides and articles and en entire forum that's probably 80 pages by now just in the general section alone, you should know how to make a sling. Better lay off the brush squirrel for a while, buddy. Wink  

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #12 - Sep 28th, 2006 at 9:41pm

Quote:
buger,

YOU HAVE OVER 100 POSTS ON A SITE ABOUT SLINGING!!!! SHOULDN'T YOU KNOW BY NOW HOW BIG TO MAKE A POUCH?!

Try reading any of the articles, or any of the 80 pages of threads about making slings.
This would be almost acceptable for a highly uninitiated new member, but isn't it time that you grow up?

Come back when you figure out how to put a rock in a piece of leather.

Ouch! but he is right... Start looking around the site, you never know what you will find... but its most likely something about slings!

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Sep 30th, 2006 at 1:19pm

hang on, you mean this is a site about SLINGING ????

Well, there you go you live and learn ;-)

On pouch size - if the missile falls through any holes - get bigger missiles. No such thing as the wrong size pouch, just the wrong sized brain in the person using it :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #14 - Sep 30th, 2006 at 4:24pm

When trying to sling a damaged half brick earlier this week I found my pouch too small, so I took a shou lace out of my pocket and made a string sling. It did the job, though the brick was very unevenly damaged.

So your pouch can also be to small, in that case get smaller ammo or a bigger pouch.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris)