Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Braided Sling Tutorial (Read 1648 times)
RebeccaT
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Braided Sling Tutorial
Sep 22nd, 2006 at 11:51pm

I finally got around to getting a braiding tutorial made. 
The turorial has a ton of pics & is really detailed, maybe overly.  Sorry if it takes forever to load on some of your computers.  I chose the option in my photo program that is suppose to be for web pages but most of the pics were still kind big for so many on one post.   Undecided  I will use the custom option next time.

Ive been around looking some but havent posted in awhile.  Things have been really busy around here.  Will try to get up here more. 

Hope you all like it.

http://p067.ezboard.com/fthecave37261frm24.showMessage?topicID=1.topic

Becky

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: Braided Sling Tutorial
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2006 at 12:15am

It's really nice.  Thanks, Becky.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2006 at 12:40am

hey that's really awesome.  i will have to try that out soon

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

cipher20
Tiro

NJ, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2006 at 11:39am

That's about how I make my braided slings except I usually use an 8 strand flat braid (Yatsu Se Gumi) for the finger loop for extra comfort and then transition that to an 8 strand round braid (Edo Yatsu Gumi) for the cords.  That makes a nice spiral pattern on the cords and it even continues through the flat braid.

Great tutorial.  It shows a really good way to make an easy yet beautiful braided sling.

Cheers!

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2006 at 11:04pm

Hey, Rebecca.  Nice work!  I like how you used yellow and black cord.  I'm in the middle of an article on how to make a 16-strand sqare braid with a woven pouch.  I used yellow and black as well, hoping it'd show up better.  I used the same cordage, too -- #18 seine twine from the local Hobby Lobby.

IP Logged

RebeccaT
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 11:27am

Well Hobb, you are a much better sling braider than I.  I will be watching in anticipation for your article. 

A friend of ours wants me to make a bola for him.  I also have a brother in law who would like me to braid horse reins for him.  They over estimate my skill but accepting a challenge should increase that...I hope.   Undecided  Im still wrapping my head around just how I want to have the bolas look and then I will look into the horse reins maybe for Christmas.  Hes a great guy & at the end of his life with cancer so I better get good at this fast!

Becky

IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 6:09pm

Hello Becky!

I also make my slings about the same way you do!
Except for a few things:
1. I use one color...hehe...gonna switch to a few (maybe camoflage)

2. I make my loop like any loop and its not braided together...allthough it looks nicer that way.

3. I also use 6 strings to make the Sling Stronger and since i only know how to braid a 3 string braid i melt the ends together to form 3 thicker strings.

4. When I reach about the middle of my string i dont cut it but instead i punch some holes around the pouch and "weave" the 3 strings through. 2 for the edges and 1 down the middle.... (hmmm i really need to get some pics...)
Then when the weaving through the pouch is done i finish of the braiding and tie a knot at the end...

Basically A nice Apache style Sling!!!!!

Very nice Sling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!           Grin

Hound

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)