Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cant beat the classic sling (Read 1844 times)
dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
cant beat the classic sling
Sep 21st, 2006 at 6:21am

The other day I found my old wrist rocket in the garage and thought it would be great to compare range and accuracy between the classic sling and sling shot. So I replaced the elastic tubeing with a brand new one. Boy was I dissappointed. The slingshot was more accurate but lack the power. I had forgotten how small of ammo you have to use, and the wind can really affect your range and accurracy. The worst thing is you miss out on being the one that creates all the power. As a kid I swear these performed alot better,but I was smaller the and things seemed alot bigger and farther. Thanks but no thanks I'll stick to the classic sling.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: cant beat the classic sling
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2006 at 6:44am

Amen, brother!

A friend of mine bought me a slingshot once, not knowing that it is the sling that I am into.  It was suppose to be one of the best in the market at the time and it just does not perform nearly as good as the cheap piece of sling I had.

IP Logged

southpaw
Descens

Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2006 at 3:14pm

Yea, I had one of the better slingshots out there, and I dreamed of lobbing dime-sized rocks 200 yards or so.
Sorely disappointed. Cry     Wink

Yes, even though I haven't master the fig. 8 yet, Sad  I would still choose the sling first. Much more lobb power and harder hitting.

southpaw

IP Logged

Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2006 at 4:23pm

Hi.
Not shure I agre with you there.
Airgun World magasine had an article some years ago where they tested the slingshot.
They used cal 50 leadballs from Hornady and a Barnet slingshot.
The energy they mesured was a hefty180 ft.lb.

When I used the slingshot and some 16mm leadballs, I was able to shoot through a 12mm pineboard at 4 meters. Smiley
I dont know how much energy the leadball had, but it had plenty of punch. Grin
I dont think the sling will give more than maybe 150 ft.lb.
If you use a staff sling the energy will likely be much more (I think Wink)

Kill one, and you are a murder- Kill millions, and you are a conqueror- Kill them all, and you are God.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2006 at 6:16pm

Rebel

I'm not saying slingshots dont have power but, a shot at 4 meters away isn't an accurate example of power.
Somewhere in here is an article or something comparing the penetration power between a sling and crossbow. I believe a one inch ball bearing was used to pound a hole through half inch plywood. For me I just like knowing that I'm behind all the power that comes out of a sling. The sling is universally perfect with ammo. If it fits in the pouch its gone. No rellying on mass marketed munitions. I like to think its firepower from the heart.  Grin

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2006 at 8:17pm

Yeah, you can probably put more power behind a shot with a slingshot than with a sling, but the ammo you have to use with the slingshot is so small, its easily affected by wind and wind resistance and so, it's less likely to give you the range or punching power a 5 oz lead weight hurled from a moderately-sized sling is going to provide. I've got a slingshot and yeah, I've fired it before, but now it's pretty much resigned to sitting in a drawer whereas I was out for an hour with my slings today taking good sized chunks out of dead trees and slinging rocks through branches like they were paper.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2006 at 10:20pm

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2006 at 2:51am

Quote:
I believe a one inch ball bearing was used to pound a hole through half inch plywood.

It was 3/4" treated CDX plywood to be exact.  I was using 1" steel ball bearings and sometimes they'd go through the thinner plywood I used as a backstop as well!   I once did a video comparison demonstrating the accuracy and penetration results between a compound bow and the sling.

The arrows I used at the time would penetrate the plywood with about one foot or so showing out the backside.  There is no comparison between the kinetic energy output of a slingshot and a sling.

Considering that a 115grn. 9mm round travelling at 1200fps carries 368ft. lbs. at the muzzle.....

Let's compare..... 1" lead spheres weigh 4oz., That converts to 1750 grains, or over 15 times as heavy as a 9mm round.  Travelling at 250fps, the kinetic energy comes to a very respectable 243 foot lbs!

I'd say that Rebel's info seems a bit optimistic.  Considering that A 50cal. lead ball weighs about 180grns....that slingshot is required to have popped them out at a relatively blistering 671fps!  Now, unless that was truly one magic slingshot, (and the Barnett Diablo is pretty close) it's much more likely that their energy in foot lbs was closer to.....say.....36lbs.  

And that's being generously optimistic.

Given that the actual grain weight number is the same as Rebel's stated foot pounds, I'd guess that the grain weight figure might have been inadvertently substituted with foot pounds?

At any rate, Dork's right....the sling is king.

IF that king has seen what most would consider an overwhelming amount of practice!

8)

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2006 at 7:34am

Actually slingshot ammo is the one thing in england that is cheap and readily available. .38 calibre ball bearings. You buy them in tubs of 200 for a few quid. I use them for the balls in small solitaire sets.
[img]http://members.aol.com/routeraardvark/woodturn/stuff/big-brother-little-brother.jpg[/img]
For short distances up to about 10 metres I would say the slingshot with ball bearings has the edge - if just for accuracy and ease of use. But anything beyond that and it's not much use really. And even at that distance if you hit it with a decent slung stone you'll do way more damage.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #9 - Sep 22nd, 2006 at 10:11am

A small piece of lead cube can be very lethal for slingshot ammo. I think a bigger piece can be used for slings....

IP Logged

Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Reply #10 - Sep 23rd, 2006 at 11:47am

Hi.
The article i read was in Aigun World Magasine some years ago, and they sead they got 180 ft.lb. energy from the slingshoot. I dont know how they got to this enery. Maybe it was 18,0 ft.lb Wink
The plank I shoot at got a big hole in it, and you need power to make a hole like that.

After I started slinging 6 months ago I havent used my slingshoot. The sling is more fun to use, but I am not as accurate as with the slingshoot Sad.

Kill one, and you are a murder- Kill millions, and you are a conqueror- Kill them all, and you are God.

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #11 - Sep 23rd, 2006 at 2:55pm

Slingshots are fun....no doubt about it.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)