Send Topic Print
Atlatl Poll (Read 3487 times)
CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Atlatl Poll
Sep 19th, 2006 at 9:36pm

Well, I'm personally working on an at'latl right now, and am just wondering some of your thoughts.

One (highly important) issue is the length of the atlatl. Which do you use/why? Let's say from the spur to the end of where your hand grips it.
Which generates the best power for you? ('longer is stronger' must max out at some point, let's find out what that point is for the average user)

Do any of you use weights on your atlatl? There seems to be much controversey as to their effect on the atlatl, and their overall effectiveness. I personally figured that they would make a negligible difference until I saw some rock art depicting weights on the atlatls. If the ancients really did use them, they must have a good reason.....

It would be nice to see what slinging.org members use and think on the subject Smiley

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Re: Atlatl Poll
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 9:46pm

23-24" from end to end, for me. I usually use 5.5-6' long darts, with the atlatl. I never use weights, either. Aesthetically, they never impressed me and I never believed in them. When somebody can show me some good solid science proving they actually improve cast or accuracy, great. I still probably won't use them, but I will be impressed. Once I picked up the sling though, I sort of set the atlatl off to the side. I've since started to pick it back up, but I'm not nearly as familiar with it, yet.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

SEB

Oh dear...there goes the
neighbourhood

Netherlands
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 7:46am

Hai there

the length of the atlatl and the optimum length of the matching dart seem to be mathematically linked.
I do not know this calculations.
I do not mind either...
Atlatl bob knows

http://www.atlatl.com/

also info about the weights by bob

I have 2 atlatls. 1 is 50cm and the other 45.
No big difference in throwing discovered yet.

How to find the right lenght of an good flexing dart you can follow the instructions on this page...
The method works very good!

http://www.walkingonoldground.com/pages/tdarts.html

my darts varie from 130 upto 180 cm.
When they flex properly they work ok.
I prefer the longer ones.
The shorter ones I made as an experiment to see if it is thru that the longer ones do better.
I think they do.

good luck

sander

is it a bird? is it a plane? no, it's a...DUCK!!&&ffffFFFkadef!!...auw, that's not a duck, thats a rock!!

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 3:28pm

I have not yet made an atlatl, but I have read a lot about them (including Atlatl Bob, and now Tom Mills on making cane darts -- Thanks, SEB!).  My understanding is that the weight on the thrower is used to alter how it flexes.  The thrower and the spear both flex; what you want is for them to bend as you begin your motion, and straighten as you finish.  That way, the energy stored in the flexing wood, is returned to the spear head as increased speed.

Tuning your atlatl to your spears, can be done two ways: shave the atlatl down, or add a weight; both will make the atlatl springier.  But shaving the atlatl is a one-way thing, you cannot add wood back.  The weight can be increased or decreased, giving you a springier or stiffer atlatl as needed for different spears.

On the other hand, it seems fairly easy to tune new spears to match your atlatl.  So whether to use a weight or not seems more a matter of preference.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 8:42pm

Quote:
I have not yet made an atlatl, but I have read a lot about them (including Atlatl Bob, and now Tom Mills on making cane darts -- Thanks, SEB!).  My understanding is that the weight on the thrower is used to alter how it flexes.  The thrower and the spear both flex; what you want is for them to bend as you begin your motion, and straighten as you finish.  That way, the energy stored in the flexing wood, is returned to the spear head as increased speed.

Tuning your atlatl to your spears, can be done two ways: shave the atlatl down, or add a weight; both will make the atlatl springier.  But shaving the atlatl is a one-way thing, you cannot add wood back.  The weight can be increased or decreased, giving you a springier or stiffer atlatl as needed for different spears.

On the other hand, it seems fairly easy to tune new spears to match your atlatl.  So whether to use a weight or not seems more a matter of preference.

Well I just got back from an atlatl event. I'm now convinced that atlatl weights do not in-and-of themselves add power. To see how much force a flexing atlatl can give off, put one in a vice, spur facing up. Now flex it back as far as it will go and put a dart on it. The dart will bounce up a few inches at best. Now compared to the total energy of a  cast, this is negligible.

While the 'timing the flex' may be true, it's other uses are far more important. Look up thunderbird atlatl (Bob Berg's site) and read about them there....

By the way, Bob Berg (not the same as 'atlatl Bob') is an excellent guy to deal and speak with, if you're buying anything atlatl related, get it from him Smiley

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2006 at 5:07pm

Thanks for the tip about Bob Berg.  I have read his
article on atlatl weights
, and I believe he said essentially the same as I did, concerning the purpose of the weight: but he said it better, with more detail, and with a lot more authority (because he uses atlatls whereas I have just read about them).

Berg does have one important point that I missed: the weight makes your throw a bit slower, and thereby perhaps a bit more controlled.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2006 at 5:12pm

nice atlatl's but still i think they're a Bit over priced Shocked

lets be honnest its just wood Undecided

Taiki  
IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2006 at 6:38pm

Ya... I'd defenantely try to make one first before buying one of those expensive ones!
Of course im stuck in the desert where all we have is some tall bushes...some people call them trees....ME? YA RIGHT! So it will be hard to find a good piece of wood to make one out of... Cry Cry Cry
yes feel sorry for me and wish me luck... Cry Tongue

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2006 at 10:26pm

you live in a desert without wood i live in a suburbian area with lots of wood but if i cut it i can get arrested  Lips Sealed

i'll just stick to a sling Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2006 at 4:01pm

i can get arrested too, i just make sure noone catches me.  i sneak onto private land and pretend not to see the signs that say stay away.  (it's not like anyone would really care anyways, it is pretty much a huge pile of woods behind all the local houses that noone ever goes into anyways.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2006 at 5:27pm

well yeah here there aren't any forrests really just more like small clumps of trees and such..Very difficult to not get noticed  Cry

But back to the atlatl's  Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2006 at 5:54pm

sometimes if there is a nice tree in plain sight i sneak out in the middle of the night dressed all in black with a t-shirt ninja mask (google for instructions.  can look pretty good) and a saw and take it down.

but i don't suggest you do this because it can cause lots of problems if you get caught, or if someone sees you they will think you are a burglur or something of the sort

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Wannabeslinger
Ex Member

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #12 - Oct 16th, 2006 at 1:18am

off topic: thxs for reminding me of another thing i wana make lol... Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)